JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have been mulling purchase of a hvy bbl .308 for years but don't have the direct experience/knowledge. I don't want to get into the whole tactical/sniper syndrome but from what I've heard it seems those rifles and that kind of competition are what interest me the most (read:tired of shooting paper targets!). For reasons of ammo availability, familiarity (have reloaded .30-06 for years), and competition background it seems the direction I'm heading.

Anyone in the Community care to get in contact with me, PM or otherwise, so I can start bouncing ideas? I understand there are some tact shooters/competitions somewhere around Tigard or close to the metro area, would like to start doing some hands-on homework and get an idea of what the courses of fire are. Paper? Action targets? Silhouettes? More of an LE group or open to civies?

FWIW, currently on the brain I've got a Rem. 700 SS .308 R5 milspec with a mil-rad 10X or vbl X Leupy or Valdada scope of some sort. Thanks in advance to anyone for any direction or suggestions.

I love 308.I have got many Bambi's using 308. Yes I agree that it is an easy round to get ahold of and when SHTF, there will still be ammo around. I have a Winchester model 70 short action with a 26" heavy barrel. These guns came out after the Remington 700 series. I guess it was Winchester's answer to the model 700. At 200 yards my best is a 2 1/4" group. It's all camo with a bipod. I guess I am hunting with a sniper rifle. Works great. I have taken 7 of my 8 deer with this rifle.

I am interested! But I am a newby at long range shooting (LRS). Just got a Tikka T-3 308 Varmint with a Leupy Mk2 6-18. I love it! Got a couple of sub .5 MOA groups @ 100yd the within the 1st 50 rds of Krautz surplus 147gr ammo. Keith has some just under $700, if interested. Or check tikkausa.com (Elma ,WA). Rem 700 VTR are an intreaging option, too, and cheaper. But I wanted something I barrel I thread and attach a supresseor later.

Work gets in the way...

Still hot to trot on a .308 and noted that there are some local shoots near PDX from another thread.

I'm in agriculture, when the spring push is finally over I'll have a little more breathing room.

Tri County club in Sherwood has many 600yd hi power matches and Douglas Ridge may still have the 1000yd range. The orientation sets you straight on rifles, equipment, etc, and rules.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top