JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i use 12-13gr trailboss for hornady 220gr RN because a friend gave me the bullets and i didnt know what to do with them. theyre fun. they hit 9moa lower at 100yrd than my normal loads LOL

YMMV :)

^^^^This^^^^
You can push a 200 Grainer with a little fine tuning right to the edge of super sonic and get a little more range, or lean on a 220 a little more for the same limit! In my Savage 10 FCP and Can, all you hear is the firing pin strike followed by the massive bullet strike on target!

220 grain Hornady round nose soft point or similar bullet by Sierra over 12.6 grains of Trail Boss started by LRM primers for better accuracy consistency worked well for me. Both Hornady and Sierra 220 grain RNSP bullets have cannelure and are seated to cannelure in properly sized 308 Win brass. Very quiet and hits with authority

220 grain Hornady round nose soft point or similar bullet by Sierra over 12.6 grains of Trail Boss started by LRM primers for better accuracy consistency worked well for me. Both Hornady and Sierra 220 grain RNSP bullets have cannelure and are seated to cannelure in properly sized 308 Win brass. Very quiet and hits with authority
Whats the oal? I'm new to reloading I've been doing 223 successfully so sounds like time to start 308 lol

Whats the oal? I'm new to reloading I've been doing 223 successfully so sounds like time to start 308 lol
I don't recall the COAL but after the brass was sized and trimmed (if some required) to proper length, I seated the bullet to cannelure with no crimp. I tried 13 grains of TB and that worked well good in summer warm weather but in colder lower temperatures you get the supersonic crack occasionally on some shots. 12.6 grains was just what the doctor prescribed. This was in a 22" barrel with a 1-10 twist

Last Edited:
I don't recall the COAL but after the brass was sized and trimmed (if some required) to proper length, I seated the bullet to cannelure with no crimp. I tried 13 grains of TB and that worked well good in summer warm weather but in colder lower temperatures you get the supersonic crack occasionally on some shots. 12.6 grains was just what the doctor prescribed. This was in a 22" barrel with a 1-10 twist
So would ill be using a 12.5inch barrel so same amount of TB should be ok ya?

You will have to experiment to find the sweet spot for a sub sonic load, barrel length may play a part in this, may not!
I haven't tried it in anything below a 17 inch tube my self, So, I cannot answer as to this load in a short length, and your twist rate will effect accuracy with the heavy bullets!

you'll have to experiment. trailboss takes up a lot of room in a case so you should be safe regardless. id start around 12 grains and work up. ive never ran into high pressure signs with trailboss but YMMV. the thing with reloading is youve gotta tailor your own loads that work for you. as much as i wanna say "this load will work for you" theres too many variables. i hope you find out what works best and let us know. like @Certaindeaf said, red dot works well also and has for many many years.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top