308 subsonic

^^^^This^^^^
You can push a 200 Grainer with a little fine tuning right to the edge of super sonic and get a little more range, or lean on a 220 a little more for the same limit! In my Savage 10 FCP and Can, all you hear is the firing pin strike followed by the massive bullet strike on target!

coyotecaller

Reactions
220 grain Hornady round nose soft point or similar bullet by Sierra over 12.6 grains of Trail Boss started by LRM primers for better accuracy consistency worked well for me. Both Hornady and Sierra 220 grain RNSP bullets have cannelure and are seated to cannelure in properly sized 308 Win brass. Very quiet and hits with authority

OP
O
Reactions
220 grain Hornady round nose soft point or similar bullet by Sierra over 12.6 grains of Trail Boss started by LRM primers for better accuracy consistency worked well for me. Both Hornady and Sierra 220 grain RNSP bullets have cannelure and are seated to cannelure in properly sized 308 Win brass. Very quiet and hits with authority
Whats the oal? I'm new to reloading I've been doing 223 successfully so sounds like time to start 308 lol

coyotecaller

Reactions
Whats the oal? I'm new to reloading I've been doing 223 successfully so sounds like time to start 308 lol
I don’t recall the COAL but after the brass was sized and trimmed (if some required) to proper length, I seated the bullet to cannelure with no crimp. I tried 13 grains of TB and that worked well good in summer warm weather but in colder lower temperatures you get the supersonic crack occasionally on some shots. 12.6 grains was just what the doctor prescribed. This was in a 22” barrel with a 1-10 twist

Last edited:
OP
O
Reactions
I don’t recall the COAL but after the brass was sized and trimmed (if some required) to proper length, I seated the bullet to cannelure with no crimp. I tried 13 grains of TB and that worked well good in summer warm weather but in colder lower temperatures you get the supersonic crack occasionally on some shots. 12.6 grains was just what the doctor prescribed. This was in a 22” barrel with a 1-10 twist
So would ill be using a 12.5inch barrel so same amount of TB should be ok ya?

You will have to experiment to find the sweet spot for a sub sonic load, barrel length may play a part in this, may not!
I haven't tried it in anything below a 17 inch tube my self, So, I cannot answer as to this load in a short length, and your twist rate will effect accuracy with the heavy bullets!

v0lcom13sn0w

Reactions
you’ll have to experiment. trailboss takes up a lot of room in a case so you should be safe regardless. id start around 12 grains and work up. ive never ran into high pressure signs with trailboss but YMMV. the thing with reloading is youve gotta tailor your own loads that work for you. as much as i wanna say “this load will work for you” theres too many variables. i hope you find out what works best and let us know. like @Certaindeaf said, red dot works well also and has for many many years.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• A Cut Above Pawn
    1.00 star(s)
    met a member to sell a gun
    worst experience I have ever had treat as tho i was stealing from them have you ever met someone and with that initial moment you know there's...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome store
    been shopping here for years now, so has my grandfather. they provide excellent services
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Vendor
    I have not been to the shop yet but have purchased from him online, and all I can say is PERFECT! You could not ask for a nicer, more helpful guy...
  • Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
Top Bottom