Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

.308 Shooters

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by gallogiro, Feb 11, 2010.

1. gallogiro

gallogiro Willamette Valley Active Member

Ok, I just got a T/C icon in 308. I've never owned or shot a .308 so I need some help deciding what ammo to use. I do not reload so what is your factory ammo of choice for deer?

Is a .308 good on elk? I've read of some guys loading some ammo for elk but since I don't reload yet, what are my options?

Thanks!

2. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

You need to reload!

I 308 is a fine elk round, within certain limits. You can stretch those limits if you roll your own. Don't plan on shooting across a canyon or any 'quartering away' shots. Do your part and you'll easily kill a bull. I think the sweet spot for any 30 cal is 165 grains, but you may want to shoot a heavier pill when out for elk, like 180 gr if you can find them.

3. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

The quirkie Belgiums at FN discovered that the shortest barrel that retains the maximum ballistics of the .308/7.62 NATO is something like 17.3", so if you are shooting a .308 out of a T/C handgun you are already at a disadvantage and chances are you are shooting within 50 to 75 yds anyways, I would go with a 180 grn to 220 grn Nosler Partition or REM Core Lokt.

My $.02

SF-

4. erslll

erslll Hermiston OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Shouldn't be a problem. According to T/C's website, the shortest barrel they make for the Icon in .308 is 22".

5. old_heli_logger

old_heli_logger Hillsboro, Oregon Member

6. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

I don't know why but I had it in my head that yours was a T/C handgun :huh:

too much coffee.

SF-