Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.308 Shooters

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by gallogiro, Feb 11, 2010.

1. gallogiro

gallogiro Willamette Valley Active Member

Ok, I just got a T/C icon in 308. I've never owned or shot a .308 so I need some help deciding what ammo to use. I do not reload so what is your factory ammo of choice for deer?

Is a .308 good on elk? I've read of some guys loading some ammo for elk but since I don't reload yet, what are my options?

Thanks!

2. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

You need to reload!

I 308 is a fine elk round, within certain limits. You can stretch those limits if you roll your own. Don't plan on shooting across a canyon or any 'quartering away' shots. Do your part and you'll easily kill a bull. I think the sweet spot for any 30 cal is 165 grains, but you may want to shoot a heavier pill when out for elk, like 180 gr if you can find them.

3. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

The quirkie Belgiums at FN discovered that the shortest barrel that retains the maximum ballistics of the .308/7.62 NATO is something like 17.3", so if you are shooting a .308 out of a T/C handgun you are already at a disadvantage and chances are you are shooting within 50 to 75 yds anyways, I would go with a 180 grn to 220 grn Nosler Partition or REM Core Lokt.

My $.02

SF-

4. erslll

erslll Hermiston OR Active Member

Shouldn't be a problem. According to T/C's website, the shortest barrel they make for the Icon in .308 is 22".

5. old_heli_logger

old_heli_logger Hillsboro, Oregon Member

6. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

I don't know why but I had it in my head that yours was a T/C handgun :huh:

too much coffee.

SF-