JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, I just got a T/C icon in 308. I've never owned or shot a .308 so I need some help deciding what ammo to use. I do not reload so what is your factory ammo of choice for deer?

Is a .308 good on elk? I've read of some guys loading some ammo for elk but since I don't reload yet, what are my options?

Thanks!

You need to reload!

I 308 is a fine elk round, within certain limits. You can stretch those limits if you roll your own. Don't plan on shooting across a canyon or any 'quartering away' shots. Do your part and you'll easily kill a bull. I think the sweet spot for any 30 cal is 165 grains, but you may want to shoot a heavier pill when out for elk, like 180 gr if you can find them.

The quirkie Belgiums at FN discovered that the shortest barrel that retains the maximum ballistics of the .308/7.62 NATO is something like 17.3", so if you are shooting a .308 out of a T/C handgun you are already at a disadvantage and chances are you are shooting within 50 to 75 yds anyways, I would go with a 180 grn to 220 grn Nosler Partition or REM Core Lokt.

My $.02

SF-

The quirkie Belgiums at FN discovered that the shortest barrel that retains the maximum ballistics of the .308/7.62 NATO is something like 17.3", so if you are shooting a .308 out of a T/C handgun you are already at a disadvantage and chances are you are shooting within 50 to 75 yds anyways, I would go with a 180 grn to 220 grn Nosler Partition or REM Core Lokt.

My $.02

SF-

Shouldn't be a problem. According to T/C's website, the shortest barrel they make for the Icon in .308 is 22".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top