JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just started work on a pistol grip trigger conversion for my Saiga .308, and so far have a few questions:
1- As you see, the rivet holes weren't drilled out "perfectly," is this an issue for when I mount the new triggerguard?
2- What holes need to be filled in and what do you suggest I use to do that?
3- I did not drill out the "middle rivet" because I'm not reusing the factory triggerguard, but also, I can't seem to get the triggerguard and plate to separate from the receiver. It looks like there are two more rivets or welds of some sort (you see where I tried to drill them out, but failed because my bit got too worn), thing is, I didn't hear anything about these two welds/rivets anywhere in conversion tutorials/instructions, how do I separate this plate and triggerguard?
4- I have a Tapco stock and pistol grip that were on the rifle in its standard configuration, will both of these still work even with the forward triggerguard?

BTW, the kit I bought is the Deluxe Conversion kit from Dinzag Arms...

Thanks a lot for the help!

Photo link:

20140117_212944.jpg

20140117_213009.jpg

20140117_212956.jpg

It shouldn't be a problem other than the trigger guard looking slightly off center. The .308 version has a couple spot welds holding the klinton plate to the receiver. You can either drill them out or file/dremel the plate down thin enough on the welds to where you can break the spot welds. If you want to fill the rivet holes you can either put some new rivets in them, use some of the nylon/poly "faux rivets" that just press into the holes, or weld the holes closed. The pistol grip/stock won't work because the new trigger guard will be too far forward. When you get the plate off you'll see the square hole in the bottom of the receiver, waiting for you to attach a real AK style grip (a real grip will come with the square nut and bolt). I think some of the stocks or trigger guards come with those plastic faux rivets, mine did from dinzag (or he threw them in).

Thanks everyone. I ended up drilling out the welds with a cobalt drill bit, worked like a charm. I then filled the now unnecessary holes with JB Weld, filed them down, and painted over them.

I don't mind the pistol grip at all, my complaint before was using a pistol grip with the stock trigger, what a chore that was! I ordered a new Hogue AK grip, I figured it looks better and will be far more comfortable than the old tapco one.

I don't mind the pistol grip at all, my complaint before was using a pistol grip with the stock trigger, what a chore that was! I ordered a new Hogue AK grip, I figured it looks better and will be far more comfortable than the old tapco one.

+1, the S308 has one of the worst triggers since the invention of smokeless powder. Some guy at Izhmash polished off a bottle of vodka and said "Hey lets make a trigger that pulls up comrades!"
Not to be confused with the shoulder thing that goes up!

DSCN1014.jpg

+1, the S308 has one of the worst triggers since the invention of smokeless powder. Some guy at Izhmash polished off a bottle of vodka and said "Hey lets make a trigger that pulls up comrades!"

DSCN1014.jpg

I think that's a direct quote! I hated that trigger so much. Made the gun borderline unusable.

DSCN1014.jpg

I think that's a direct quote! I hated that trigger so much. Made the gun borderline unusable.

Congrats on getting it un-neutered. I have a Hogue pistol grip on mine and like it. I kind of like fixed stocks on AKs so I went with an arsenal warsaw length poly one. An AR style stock just doesn't look right IMO. I'm sure you are enjoying the new trigger pull with a surprise break.
Actually now that I think about it I may have gone with a Tapco fixed on the S308 and a arsenal on the S12. I'll have to change that.
Saigas are addictive and fun to convert, they should come with a warning other than the factory "annihilate this paper" packing paper warning

Thanks, and yeah the Hogue looked great and had incredible reviews everywhere I looked. I do like the collapsing function of the stock though, but I wish it didn't look exactly the same was what you see on a lot of AR15s.

If you really want to class up your S.308
Id get the CSS (carolina shooters supply) vented (slots) forearm and the Rifle Dynamics AK ti AR stock adapter.

Both those really make the S.308 a slick platform.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top