JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guys and Gals: I am going to start loading 308 rounds. I am NOT focusing on bench rest and long distance sporting accuracy. Instead, I am looking more for general effectiveness for general usage.

I would like recommendations for powders that meeting the following goals:

1. Powder that is widely available
2. Powder that is not too expensive
3. It should meter well
4. It should burn cleanly with a minimal of residual residue

My platform will be a tactical semi-auto with a 20-inch barrel.

Thanks.

i like blc2 for my 308 loads in my bolt gun. i have NEVER experienced the "temperature sensitive" characteristics of this powder that some people claim. i use this powder for hunting loads.

Available: depends on what's stocked at your preferred stores
Expense: cost varies from $20 to $30 per lb
Meters well: ball meters well
Burns cleanly: most do

I like
WW748 (ball powder)
IMR4064, 4895, 3031, 4198 (tubular powder)

Haven't used, but would buy
Alliant Reloader 7

Relative burn rate charts
http://www.alliantpowder.com/resour...eloadersguide/2014_Alliant_Powder_Catalog.pdf
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

Chronographs (Don't reload without one)
Chrony F1
CED M2
Magnetospeed Sporter

My pet load for my LR308 is 39grs of H4895 under a Hornady 150gr FMJ. This is a pretty light load, but cycles my gun just fine, YMMV. I ran across an article a few years ago on reloading for the M1A, it talked about anything slower than 4985 being hard on the op rod in that platform because of excessive port pressure. I really like H335 for my .223, but have never had good luck with the ball powders in the .308. Another one of my favorites for loading bulk ammo is Hodgdon's Benchmark, it is a very short cut stick type powder that has given me good accuracy with lighter projos in both .223 and .308.

Another one of my favorites for loading bulk ammo is Hodgdon's Benchmark, it is a very short cut stick type powder that has given me good accuracy with lighter projos in both .223 and .308.

Would Hodgdon's Benchmark meter will in a Hornady LNL powder measure? I will not be measuring each powder load individually on a scale ... I will do sampling to make sure it is accurate but use the LNL powder measure device in general. That is why I want a powder that meters well. Thanks.

Bimart had the IMR in stock even during the powder crisis...

I have a couple unopened 3031 I think if you want them for less then the store price.

It's going to be much longer then I thought before I start to reload:confused:.

3031, 4320, and a couple other IMR powders that seem to always be in stock. The more targeted you get the less chance in stock.

There is another IMR powder that's light blue.... I always see it and it's compatible with .308, available at BiMart for sub $25/lb.

Would Hodgdon's Benchmark meter will in a Hornady LNL powder measure? I will not be measuring each powder load individually on a scale ... I will do sampling to make sure it is accurate but use the LNL powder measure device in general. That is why I want a powder that meters well. Thanks.
I use a uniflow powder measure, i haven't used the lnl, but I see no reason for it to not work. Buy a lb. and try it out, that really is the only thing you can do.

I have used both 3031, and 4064 for my .308 both action rifle. These are readily available all around. Medium burn rate powders which should be fine for semi-auto.

But I dip each powder load with a powder spoon or throw short loads from my RCBS powder measure and for both methods will then finish with a trickler. It's still a very fast way to go. (How much .308 ammo can you afford to burn thru in one session?):)

If you strickly want to throw fast charges, you might want to stick with ball powder, but neither of these powders that I use are critical if you stay in the middle of load weights recommended in a reloading handbook. As you mentioned, randomly weigh powder drops so you make sure things aren't getting away from you.

PS Never use load info posted by reloaders on the internet unless it is verified by your own experience in that particular firearm.

Last Edited:
Since you've left some hints.

I'll assume............that you're loading for a "military style" semi auto like a re-barreled M1 or M1A . Then of course, there are many more battle rifles that use a 7.62 x 51 mm. But I'll assume "military in origin" would also cover it. So then.......I'd be loading close to the NATO spec.

Note the varieity of powders that are used for the .30-06 fired through an M1 Garand. I'm talking POWDER selection.

http://masterpostemple.bravepages.com/M1load.htm

So, BLC-2 or IMR4895 (H4895) comes to my mind off the top of my head. Mind you that I've also used W748 in the past and found it adequate. Some complain that it's temp sensitive. Whatever...

But then, what's available?

LOL.....it's not like you'll find an 8 lb keg readily available at Bi-Mart or Sportsmans Warehouse.

Ok....buy the single pound can. Beggers can't be choosers.

But, when you find what you like. Buy the 8 lb keg. You can thank me later for that advice.

Good luck.

Aloha, Mark

BTW.....it sound like it's your first time loading for the 7.62 x 51 mm. Let me tell you a story that might help you.

Story time.....

My reloaded .308 Win ammo fit my M1a easily. But, when I tried the same ammo in my bolt action Rem 700 (.308 Win) ....well, it didn't chamber. Humm.....ok, so I screwed down the re-sizing die down a bit more. The new ammo is just passing, in the gauge test. Remember, there is a high and a low cut, to test for re-sized brass to still be acceptable. Now, the ammo would work in both rifles.

Bottom line: chambers vary and a little bit could be all the difference.

And.......cam over, while re-sizing. I hope you're doing that...RIGHT?

What gauge? *Course you'll need it in .308 Win.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/456614/le-wilson-case-length-headspace-gage-223-remington?cm_mmc=ps_bing-_-bing-_-RL_Metallic_Reloading_Equipment_Beta_B-_-headspace+gage

And, IMHO you don't need Military Primers or a SB dies set. Course, if you want to....go ahead.

Note from CCI:

CCI® No. 34 and No. 41 MILITARY RIFLE PRIMERS

Military-style semi-auto rifles seldom have firing pin retraction springs. If care is not used in assembling ammunition, a "slam-fire" can occur before the bolt locks. The military arsenals accomplish this using different techniques and components—including different primer sensitivity specifications—from their commercial counterparts. CCI makes rifle primers for commercial sale that matches military sensitivity specs that reduce the chance of a slam-fire when other factors go out of control*. If you're reloading for a military semi-auto, look to CCI Military primers.
*Effective slam-fire prevention requires more than special primers. Headspace, chamber condition, firing pin shape and protrusion, bolt velocity, cartridge case condition, and other factors can affect slam-fire potential.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
BTW.....it sound like it's your first time loading for the 7.62 x 51 mm. Let me tell you a story that might help you.

Story time.....

My reloaded .308 Win ammo fit my M1a easily. But, when I tried the same ammo in my bolt action Rem 700 (.308 Win) ....well, it didn't chamber. Humm.....ok, so I screwed down the re-sizing die down a bit more. The new ammo is just passing, in the gauge test. Remember, there is a high and a low cut, to test for re-sized brass to still be acceptable. Now, the ammo would work in both rifles.

Bottom line: chambers vary and a little bit could be all the difference.

And.......cam over, while re-sizing. I hope you're doing that...RIGHT?

What gauge? *Course you'll need it in .308 Win.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/456614/le-wilson-case-length-headspace-gage-223-remington?cm_mmc=ps_bing-_-bing-_-RL_Metallic_Reloading_Equipment_Beta_B-_-headspace+gage

And, IMHO you don't need Military Primers or a SB dies set. Course, if you want to....go ahead.

Note from CCI:

Aloha, Mark

You are correct, I am loading for military type 308 platforms, including an M1A and a PTR91-F. Mahalo.

RL15 is my go to for 308. It is a stick powder though. So it may not meet your 3rd criteria.

2460 is a good one too.

H335 is usually on shelfs and is also a good choice for all of your criteria.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top