JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you recommend and why?

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • 6.5 Creed

Votes: 26 40.6%

• Total voters
I've determined that I want to be a better rifleman, being proficient and accurate at shooting up to 600 yards. Through the process of talking with some guys here I've decided that the Tikka T3x CTR is the rifle but I need some help with which caliber to choose.

The choice has been narrowed to .308 & 6.5 CM.

What do you recommend and why?

I appreciate your help.
I would ask what the expected range will be; as others have noted, 600+ yards is where 6.5 CM shines. On the other hand, it also has a rep for burning out barrels much faster than .308-
So the question then becomes, do you have money to burn?

I joined the hipster club
I'm neither a hipster nor a logger sexual...Is there hope for me? :p

Hipster.jpg Logger Sexual.jpg

Surprised no one mentioned the option to buy any .308 AR10, and then get a 6.5 completed upper to switch it out in less than 10 seconds in the field, or at home in the garage.

Or better yet, buy any AR10 lower and make your own. Buy both the .308 and 6.5 barrels with all the parts and you're good to go.

I understand 6.5 is good for +600 but so is 308.

I'll throw a curveball out there. As it is often always overlooked as inferior.

@DB Wesner if your longest range is 600 yards, just get a nice bolt gun in 223/556.

I bought a 308 to do 1000 yards. Built a load to do it consistently. Never did it again.

I enjoy shooting 223/556 from 200-800 and it is extremely fun. Usually I set up a target at 400-500 the most. I have a fun spot that's right at 450 in the woods. Clay targets are essentially 1 MOA at that distance and a hell of a challenge.

If you are just shooting paper, I'd highly recommend skipping the bigger calibers and enjoying a smaller caliber like the 223 or maybe even the 6.5 Grendel. Both can be had in bolt actions of all makes and models. Both have far less recoil than the other two.

Once you get into reloading 223 is very fun to hone in your skills and much less expensive to work up precise loads.

Just a few thoughts.

Just ignore me if I'm way off base.

Surprised no one mentioned the option to buy any .308 AR10, and then get a 6.5 completed upper to switch it out in less than 10 seconds in the field, or at home in the garage.

Or better yet, buy any AR10 lower and make your own. Buy both the .308 and 6.5 barrels with all the parts and you're good to go.
Interesting indeed....

Sorry, but that is absolutely incorrect.

6.5 Creedmoor vs .308 Winchester... No Contest - The Truth About Guns

There are MANY other comparison articles out there. They ALL say the 6.5CM is far more accurate and even more so as distance increases. Along with the BC, the math and my own person experience with both cartridges.
I think he is referring to barrel life . In that case a 308 will hold its accuracy about 2 x longer than a 6.5c . 308 barrels last forever.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top