JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you recommend and why?

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • 6.5 Creed

Votes: 26 40.6%

• Total voters
.308 only because you can get rifles like the PTR 91, FAL, and M1A without worrying about buying a different caliber.

PS; if you go 6.5CM you could always just get an AR to match your Tikka. :)

Top one is a CTR in 6.5CM. Sexy ain't it? :)

IMG_3734.jpg

6.5 Creedmoor is ballistically superior at long range, has less recoil, and is the current "it cartridge" ordained by writers and internet experts.
The .308 Win will maintain accuracy longer, has more common ammo availability, and has been serving admirably for many years. Probably would be more effective on game larger than deer, if that is important to you.
I have 3 different .308's:. a Savage 10T for long range shooting, a Ruger Hawkeye for hunting and my newest, a PSA PA-10 for semi auto fun, possibly hunting or SHTF later.
I started my .308 journey with the Savage, before the 6.5 Creedmoor was offered. Had the Creedmoor been available at the time, I probably would have gone Creedmoor. But I am happy with the .308. Either one would work for the OP's purpose. If the S ever does HTF, I believe the .308 would be the better option. Let's hope it doesn't.

Last Edited:
Nice, I'd go with the 6.5 .
The 308 is known as one of the worlds most accurate rounds that can do about anything and inside 400 yards has a kinetic energy advantage .
The 6.5 will make it easier everywhere to get those nice groups as it fights nature better than the 308 and past 500 yards it fights nature much better and I feel like a 120 creed recoils about 40% less of a 168 308 .
Not sure if that will make you a better rifleman or not . Struggling makes me better lol .

6.5 Creedmoor is ballistically superior at long range, has less recoil, and is the current "it cartridge" ordained by writers and internet experts.
The .308 Win will maintain accuracy longer, has more common ammo availability, and has been serving admirably for many years. Probably would be more effective on game larger than deer, if that is important to you.
I have 3 different .308's:. a Savage 10T for long range shooting, a Ruger Hawkeye for hunting and my newest, a PSA PA-10 for semi auto fun, possibly hunting or SHTF later.
I started my .308 journey with the Savage, before the 6.5 Creedmoor was offered. Had the Creedmoor been available at the time, I probably would have gone Creedmoor. But I am happy with the .308. Either one would work for the OP's purpose. If the S ever dies HTF, I believe the .308 would be the better option. Let's hope it doesn't.
Great info, thanks for that.

I started my .308 journey with the Savage, before the 6.5 Creedmoor was offered. Had the Creedmoor been available at the time, I probably would have gone Creedmoor. But I am happy with the .308. Either one would work for the OP's purpose. If the S ever does HTF, I believe the .308 would be the better option. Let's hope it doesn't.

Sorry, but that is absolutely incorrect.

6.5 Creedmoor vs .308 Winchester... No Contest - The Truth About Guns

There are MANY other comparison articles out there. They ALL say the 6.5CM is far more accurate and even more so as distance increases. Along with the BC, the math and my own person experience with both cartridges.

I know from nothing! Don't own a rifle in either caliber. Don't listen to me. etc etc

But when I was looking into the issue, I noticed this: (question comes up at 08:12 - 11:30)

The only downside to the 6.5 like other overbore chamberings, is that it is a barrel burner. There are a lot of variables but expect to get a lot less useful barrel life (specifically throat erosion) out of a 6.5 compared to a .308.

I don't know anything about the 6.5 - both of my hunting rifles are .308

My bones & joints have gotten so tender, I use a muzzle brake. Tames the recoil so there's hardly any kick.

Here are a couple of videos about hunting with a .308 - in this first one, he makes the 875 yard shot at about 5:35 on the counter.

And here's a video showing the effectiveness of the Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X .308 cartridge at close range (60 yards).

Last Edited:
I guess that my decision will be made for me the day my 33-year-old Krico 650SS in that useless old has-been .308Win stops making me cloverleafs at 100m and hits on 9" diameter bloonz at 600 - 800m. Not a single wounded bloon in MY shooting history, Nossiree!

Mind you, if anybody can point me at a 6.5 CR with a fourteen-thousand round shot-count that I can use for comparison I'd be really grateful.

If it comes down to barrel life..then .308 all day. I'm a .260 kinda guy myself. Either caliber would do you just fine. But If you want a flat shooting light recoil rifle. Then the 6.5 wins.

Well this pretty much sums it all up!! Thread closed!! :p:D

OMG, I thought the OP was that other guy!!! :eek::eek::eek:

The only downside to the 6.5 like other overbore chamberings, is that it is a barrel burner. There are a lot of variables but expect to get a lot less useful barrel life (specifically throat erosion) out of a 6.5 compared to a .308.

Perhaps this is what was meant by "maintains accuracy longer"???

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top