JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i'm helping a friend of mine reload 308's for his m1a, heres the problem:

I trimmed the cases to 2.005, seated the bullet at the cannelure, measured the col(2.720) and its below the min col(2.800).

-150gr fmjbt w/c hornady bullet
-rem once fired cases
-36gr varget
-hornady 7th ed reloading manual

Would it be safe to shoot? Somebody told me it should be safe because we're loading at 36gr. which is a low charge.

What gets me is why is the col short? Defective bullet?

As long as you aren't compressing a load that shouldn't be compressed there really isn't a "too short" when it comes to OAL.

It may screw up accuracy with the extra jump. Shorter bullets will almost always end up with a shorter OAL.

For the most part, 2.800 is tossed around as the .308 Design standard because this is what feeds from internal magazines best.

A good guideline when building a load is to hold a bullet up alongside the case, line up the "pressure ring" which is the bottom radius of a flat based bullet or the top edge of the boat-tail, with the junction of the case neck/shoulder. Mark the bullet and insert into an empty case until the line is at the case mouth. Measure that OAL and it's your new minimum. Again, as long as it's not compressing the powder load unless it it a powder like Varget that can be compressed.

You're probably not going to blow anything up with that load. I'd be surprised if it will cycle the action. Take a wooden dowel with you when you go to try these, just in case you have a squib.
The COL of 2.720 - 2.740 is fine for that bullet. I know powder is hard to come by these days but you should really use a powder better suited for the M1A gas system. Don't get me wrong, Varget is good and all, just not for the M1A.

B

IheartGUNS

Not knowing what bullet you're using I based your load data on Hornady' 3037. With that, QuickLOAD says you're at 28,000psi (22 inch barrel).

Certainly not definitive, but the load seems very safe.

Jason

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads