JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the market for a suppressor for my Remington 700 in .308 and M&P15 in 5.56. Any suggestions for a multi caliber that is less than $1000. Actually less $$$ is better… but still want significant sound reduction. Reliable mounting systems a plus. Or do I need to look at dedicated per caliber?
Thoughts or personal experiences?
Thanks!

5.56 doesn't get that quiet so there are minimal gains in sound reduction with a 5.56 diameter can. So I wouldn't get hung up trying to go with a 5.56 specific can necessarily. I personally am a fan of dedicated can's vs. swapping cans from gun to gun. Depending on if your $1,000 budget is inclusive of the tax or not, the path I would take is to get two cans and run them dedicated to those rifles.

If you choose to get a single can or for that matter two cans, here are the items I would target:
  • Hub back end, meaning the back of the can is threaded 1.375 x 24, commonly called a HUB backend. This will give you the biggest flexibility when it comes to adapters and muzzle device options.
  • Choose brands that are well regarded and have a good reputation in the industry, inclusive of their customer service.
  • Tubeless, welded baffle stack design
  • Don't go with a brand specific, proprietary adapter/mount system.
If I were in your shoes and had a $1,000 budget not including cost of tax stamps, I would look at buying two cans. Spending more money on a can does not necessarily equate to better when it comes to suppressors. A $1,000 suppressor is generally not 100% better than one half it cost at $500, in fact the cheaper suppressor could perform better. It really comes down to your requirements and use case. Here is the list of suppressors I would look into for your rifles:
  • YHM Turbo T3 or Turbo K for 5.56
  • YHM Resonator R2 for both 5.56 or 308
  • Rex Silentium MG7 in any bore from .223 - .308, match bore size to use case/cases
  • Diligent Defense Enticer S or L in stainless (or Ti if your feeling rich) for both .223 and .308
There are other great options out there but if you watch sales, you should be able to pick up two of the above cans for less than a $1,000.

My suggestion is to get a Dead Air Primal, which is a .46 cal rifle can. I use it on .45 ACP, and have used it on 5.56 and it's on par if not better than my Sandman L in terms of sound reduction. It's a hotdog down a hallway but it'll quiet down just about anything you can think of up to .338LM and they're right about $1k with tax. HUB system at the back so you can pick your mount. Granted, as it sits with my Keymo mount system, it's almost 9" long so it's not a little guy.

I'm pretty much set on thinking the R9 is the number 1 do all can with a .36 diameter hole in it. For its price, it's really hard to beat. Sounds great on 556, sounds great on 300blk, even 308 wasn't bad. Worth a look if budget is a concern. At your budget you could order 2. That's what I did.

If you have any friends / associates with cans, get together with them and do a little testing. My first can is a YHM Resonator K. It's not a spectacular can, but works well for what I need it on (5.56 & 300blk for now). Shooting without ear pro is nice.

If you have any friends / associates with cans, get together with them and do a little testing. My first can is a YHM Resonator K. It's not a spectacular can, but works well for what I need it on (5.56 & 300blk for now). Shooting without ear pro is nice.
100% this. Being able to experience first hand how different calibers and cans sound let's you set reasonable expectations on the results you can expect. I only regret one can purchase and that is a Dead Air Sandman S. It is a great can but doesn't do well at fitting any of my use cases. It is heavy, marginal sound suppression and locked to using dead air keymo mounts. Now if I had a need for a bomb proof, high volume of fire, low back pressure 308 caliber can, it would be a perfect fit but that just isn't my normal style of shooting.

Also, echoing others, a can with the option of a 'hub' fitting offeres great flexibility in both direct thread mounts and QD mounts. I'll be threading my boltguns for direct thread and stick with QD's for the AR's. It just works, and I can use the suppressor on everything I have from .17HMR up to .308. I just wish YHM still made the Phantom; I liked that model.

I'll be another fan of YHM. The Resonator R2 was my first can and I have so far only run it on my blackout and it's great. The YHM mounting system is solid, yet arguably a bit bulky and heavy. I do have mounts for my 5.56 rifles but I have not run it on them yet.

Like others said, 5.56 doesn't suppress well. I'm not sure about .308 unless you're specifically running subs.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top