Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.308, 30-30, or 12ga

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Lebowski, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Lebowski

Lebowski Greater PDX Active Member

Ok, my dilemma is this, I cannot decide which of these items to purchase next – eventually I will obtain all 3, but due to current budget limitations I can only purchase one this year.

Bearing in mind that I already have an AR and a Glock 19 for both myself and my wife, I wish to pick up another long gun to supplement our current loadout.

The candidates are as follows,

1-***** Marlin 336 in 30-30

2-***** Remington/Savage .308 bolt action with 20” barrel

3-***** Mossberg 590A 12 GA

Each of these have their merits in my opinion – the Marlin is handy with light recoil, inexpensive ammo, is rugged, and will take game. It makes a fine defensive weapon to boot and seems to be the most tame looking (not a major factor)

The .308 would really extend my range and provide me a real game getter as well as a nice way to turn cover into concealment if such a situation presented itself, it would be fun on the range and I have always wanted a .308 bolt action. That said its far and away the most expensive of the three, and that before I add the necessary scope, sling, and bipod. The ammo is more expensive to boot.

The Mossberg would be a versatile tool for home defense and urban situations, nothing really better for 50 yards and in, but limited in range, ammo is expensive anf getting more so, and the shells take up space and weight in any mobile situation.

Whichever I select will become a part of my main loadout for range time, defense, and SHTF type of situations. I reside in a suburban environment and in any extreme social event I would be in both suburbs/wooded countryside on and off.

2. SICARIO

SICARIO Oregon City Active Member

I would get the 12ga first (rem870 is my preference) and then get a 308. 308 and 30-30 ammo is pretty similar in price, but you get more range with the 308. That being said, I have all three (though the 30-30 was a family hand-me-down which I don't shoot often)

3. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Every collection needs at least one shotgun. Plus it's probably the least expensive thing on your list. If you ever got into some sort of survival situation in the woods and needed food, with the right ammo it could also be a good critter gitter without vaporizing all the meat like the AR would do on small animals (squirrel, birds, rabbit, etc)

4. M67

M67 NW Oregon Active Member

For me personally, i stay away from the winchester 30-30's. I purchased a winchester model 94AE and when i went to do a DCOA on the rifle, i found that it should only be disassembled by a gunsmith. Any rifle that i can not completely disassemble, is worthless to me. If any rifle i use and can not be taken completely apart by me, to throughly clean, is just asking for rust to develop in all the areas you can not get to, especally here in the rainy side of the state. Check on the Marlin 336 in 30-30, to see if the same limitations on doing a DCOA apply!

Since i paid a great price for the 30-30 winchester, i traded it for a all matching serial # russian sks made in 1954, that was new in the box and unfired. Great deal on my part, since i paid $125.00 for the winchester 30-30! :D

M67

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  5. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

Oh man you really got taken on that SKS garbage. Let me give you $175 so you can at least hold your head up in public. I only offer because of the "good guy" that I am. Haha

As far as what gun next? Shotgun of coarse.
    Good luck and stay safe,
    Mike

6. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

I agree with Drew...shotgun first. Then, .308. Have you considered a semi auto 308? You'll have the same or nearly the same accuracy as a bolt gun with alot more firepower if needed.

7. CZ Fan

CZ Fan Oregon Member

Shotgun.

8. Box13

Box13 Beavercreek Member

my votes for a shotgun....Remington 870 though...

9. Lebowski

Lebowski Greater PDX Active Member

There seems to be very little deviation in the theme of this thread. I was leaning shotgun from a practicality standpoint but the Remington 700 sps holds a place very dear to me. I believe I will get the shotgun now and the .308 next year. I like the Remington 870 and perhaps I will go that route. I am just better versed in the 590 as it is what I used in the military. I suppose it's basically down to model and customization now. I have considered the semi auto 308 but i have always wanted a nice 700 so that would certainly be my first .308. I appreciate all the comments and it seems logic wins out once again.

10. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

What do you already have?

11. M67

M67 NW Oregon Active Member

Just a thought to consider.

Will you be using the shotgun for home defense only, or hunting as well?

If you want it to do both, i found 20" barrels for the 870 for $69.00.

The only down side is remington is now, putting dimples on the magazine tube to make it harder to install the extended magazine tubes. But a bit of light grinding will remove them with no problems, and you will have a dual use shotgun.

M67

12. Box13

Box13 Beavercreek Member

My thought was that since you already had an ar and a glock the next addition was a shotgun.And the right shotgun could be dual purpose...hunting/SD...

just seemed like the way to go...Robin

13. mountainman53

mountainman53 Ridgefield Wa Member

When you decide to buy your .308, I read a good article about the lower end bolt actions. It compared several rifles and the Remington 770 sounds like a good deal at around $350 with a scope, but it didn't rate very well in the comparison. The Savage Axis did much better and Bi-Mart has them on sale sometimes for under $250.

14. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Define your mission and then once that is clear obtain the hardware to support your mission. Bottom line: "Let your mission dictate your gear!"

We don't & cannot know your mission or its perimeters but you can or should.

15. 1stIDFMP

1stIDFMP North of Salem, south of Portland Active Member

Either the Remingtom 870 or Mossberg 590 would serve you well. If you are more familiar with the Mossy, because of military training, you may want to go with that. Thank you for your service! :flag:

16. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Shot Gun! 870PM or the Mossy.

17. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

If you are a prepper I would buy a LOT of buckshot and slugs way before I bought a shotgun. If you survive a few shootouts you will have a stack of weapons and the 12 GA shotgun will be prevalent but there will likely be little ammo and that may be birdshot. I cast my own buckshot and slugs and handload but I still buy as many factory shells as I can afford

When you buy your 7.62 definitely consider the PTR GI. Atlantic firearms has them for $900 right now and mags can be bought for as little as $1.. this will not last, hurry

18. auditrevor

auditrevor salem Active Member

the 308 is actually very cost effective on ammo, you can get tulamo packs of 20 at walmart for $8.93. shoots great in my remington 700. gotta love the versatility of a 12ga though.

19. Peteralexander78

Peteralexander78 vancouver Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

I would get a shotgun first unless you are planning to go hunting for big game sooner than later. Shotguns are the best all around gun you get fun, hunting and HD!

20. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Every other home in the USA has a 12 GA shottie. Few have more than a box or two of birdshot

It's not sexy or as much fun but IMO thinking practically the ammo should come first