308/223 BOLT HELP

Reactions
That's a very open ended question. Do you mean an AR bolt? Or a 308 bolt action rifle? Either way, buying the correct component/rifle is going to be more cost effective than any conversion.

If a actual bolt action you would need a new or expensively re-worked bolt and you would need a new barrel, all gunsmith work.

So much easier to buy a second rifle in the 223 caliber.

If it is a AR-10 then buying a similar AR-15 would be the better path.

Some confusion exists as there are 22 rimfire conversion kits for 1911's and AR-15's but they involve new magazines and for the pistols they have a new recoil assembly and barrel. For the AR, I am not certain, but I believe they have a chamber insert to accommodate the rimfire round, same barrel as it is .22 anyway, and I don't know about the AR recoil changes . There would be a new bolt and extractor for the AR and something similar for the 1911. But I have never heard of 308 to 223. I have not heard of a lot of things that are still out there.

Reactions
You would likely need a new bolt, or spend some money getting the bolt face reworked. But I can tell you that without extensive work to the action you will have feeding and extraction/ejection issues. All in you'll be spending more than getting a .223 rifle and making the barrel work with it.

Reactions
Nothing wrong with downloading 308 to sub velocity; data is out there online ie Hogdon site. Any powder coated or copper plated 30cal projectile will be fine if you want to be cheap. You only need heavy subsonic bullets for working the action on a semiautomatic. If you want to hunt subsonic you are best off buying a petal deploying solid copper bullet. Heavy solids just pass through an animal without imparting much energy at subsonic velocity and are inhumane.

Reactions
OP
O
Reactions

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Vendor
    I have not been to the shop yet but have purchased from him online, and all I can say is PERFECT! You could not ask for a nicer, more helpful guy...
  • Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
Top Bottom