JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's a very open ended question. Do you mean an AR bolt? Or a 308 bolt action rifle? Either way, buying the correct component/rifle is going to be more cost effective than any conversion.

If a actual bolt action you would need a new or expensively re-worked bolt and you would need a new barrel, all gunsmith work.

So much easier to buy a second rifle in the 223 caliber.

If it is a AR-10 then buying a similar AR-15 would be the better path.

Some confusion exists as there are 22 rimfire conversion kits for 1911's and AR-15's but they involve new magazines and for the pistols they have a new recoil assembly and barrel. For the AR, I am not certain, but I believe they have a chamber insert to accommodate the rimfire round, same barrel as it is .22 anyway, and I don't know about the AR recoil changes . There would be a new bolt and extractor for the AR and something similar for the 1911. But I have never heard of 308 to 223. I have not heard of a lot of things that are still out there.

You would likely need a new bolt, or spend some money getting the bolt face reworked. But I can tell you that without extensive work to the action you will have feeding and extraction/ejection issues. All in you'll be spending more than getting a .223 rifle and making the barrel work with it.

Nothing wrong with downloading 308 to sub velocity; data is out there online ie Hogdon site. Any powder coated or copper plated 30cal projectile will be fine if you want to be cheap. You only need heavy subsonic bullets for working the action on a semiautomatic. If you want to hunt subsonic you are best off buying a petal deploying solid copper bullet. Heavy solids just pass through an animal without imparting much energy at subsonic velocity and are inhumane.

If you look at your bolt you will see that the face is part of the body. I strongly suggest that if you do not have all of the right tools to do this yourself that you send it out.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top