JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it reasonable that I would see a 5-6" drop at 20 yards from standard 300AAC to Subsonic suppressed? Seems like a ton of drop at that distance to me, but this is my 1st suppressor and 1st subsonic day, so I have no frame of reference to what's normal.
Thanks in advance

Adams Arms piston AR 11" barrel
I had everything sighted in and dialed at 50 yards
With Remington 120GR 2200FPS

With the suppressor on
Shooting Fiocchi subsonic
220GR 1050FPS

Bullet drop at 50 is between 5 and 6". It just seems excessive to me, but again, I no idea what to expect

There will be some drop but if this were me I would shoot the same ammo first un-suppressed and then suppressed. This will give you an idea of what the ammo does. I would think about a 1" and 1 1/2" drop suppressed would be normal. 2+" at 100 yards

There's no need to guess on this. If u type the numbers into a calculator it will tell you precisely how much drop there is at a given yardage and you can compare that to the other load.

If you are seeing more drop than shown in the calculator then something else is going on and it isn't due to different velocity/mass.

Last Edited:
Your issue has very little to do with bullet drop, or to put it another way, a heavy bullet moving at a relatively (for a rifle cartridge) slow velocity. First, I would recommend zeroing you rifle at 50 yards. After that, it is about sight height over bore. There are some things to consider, but without making a long post, zero it there (or whatever range your interests research recommend for your application).

Simply put, at 20 yards, the point of impact you are getting vs the point of aim you are using is an artifact of the distance from your sight picture in relation to the centerline of the bore of your barrel. You need to be aiming at a person's hat brim to hit him in the bridge of the nose. Bullet drop has almost nothing to do with it at 20 yards. You will get similar results with a carbine in .223/5.56mm at 2800fps.

With the suppressor on
220GR 1050FPS

Bullet drop at 50 is between 5 and 6". It just seems excessive to me, but again, I no idea what to expect
Normal.

Was 2200fps unsuppressed? If so, you now have a suppressor weighing barrel and a slower round moving.

my subs drop 6moa vs my supers at 100 yards. i have my red dot sighted for subs and my irons sighted for supers. if i know im gonna be shootin my supers a lot i move my optic up 12 clicks (its a 1/2moa per click) and its dead on for supers. when im done, i back it down 12 clicks.

my subs drop 6moa vs my supers at 100 yards. i have my red dot sighted for subs and my irons sighted for supers. if i know im gonna be shootin my supers a lot i move my optic up 12 clicks (its a 1/2moa per click) and its dead on for supers. when im done, i back it down 12 clicks.
That's a great idea

With the suppressor on
220GR 1050FPS

In your first post, you said 25 yards.. you of course are comparing where your 50 yard zeroed gun shot at 25 with the non subs also?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top