JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The main reason is to shoot 30 caliber bullets from an AR15 while still having 30 round capacity in normal magazines. Suppressors are no more meaningful on this cartridge than on 7.62x39mm or 5.56mm. A lot of people suppress it, and so that leads lots of others to think it somehow needs to be suppressed to make sense.

Here is a 300 yard gel test from a 9 and 16 inch barrel:

I have a couple 300 Blackout guns. A 9 inch and a 16 inch. Absolutely love em. It's not a do everything round, but its great for short range stuff. Saying they are only good for suppressed use is wrong. But really, even if it were primarily for suppressed use is that such a bad thing?

I'm on the search for a 300 blk barrel right now for a new closer range 'yote upper. Not a whole lot of options out there with the popularity right now. From what I've seen it should be a decent round out to 300yds. Now we just need Washington to allow sbr's so I can do a can on a 9"

Supersonic: It's equivalent to a 30/30 that you can run through an ar15 with only a barrel change (bolt/mag/gas system/ etc all interchange). 150gr Nos @ 2400 fps will do for most game around here (other than black bear and elk) at the distances that most people shoot if they admit their limitations.

Subsonic: More of a novelty, but still fun - Only useful if you run a can, and if you have a fast twist (1:8). With a can and a fast twist you can deliver a 220gr bullet to MOA at 100 yds with less noise than a suppressed 45 or 9mm, and more retained energy than those rounds have at the muzzle.

Brass is all over the net now. 308 bullets will not go away. H110 is one of the best powders you can use. Wilson, CMMG, AAC, and others are putting out barrels.

The only reason the whisper didn't take off was b/c JDJ kept tight control on who could use the name and make components. Rev 2.0 was the 221/300 fireball which didn't take off b/c no one had their act together to take it up to SAAMI for spec. I've owned and loaded for all 3 - The Blackout guys got it right.

i notice the pof p415 in 5.56 supressed is still pretty loud.i dont have a supressor on mine but on videos they are still too loud to warrent paying for the supressor really unless it makes for better shooting accuracy.
i guess piston guns are just gonna be loud no matter?

5.56 is gonna be loud no matter what. Suppressors do a good job on the muzzle report but a supersonic 5.56 bullet makes a pretty loud sonic crack. You just can't get away from it unless you are shooting subsonic. You can run 300BLK either way, my tastes run to quiet that's why my interest in the subsonic flavor.
Generally, piston guns run a bit louder than DI guns since they vent the gas outside the action.

The only reason the whisper didn't take off was b/c JDJ kept tight control on who could use the name and make components. Rev 2.0 was the 221/300 fireball which didn't take off b/c no one had their act together to take it up to SAAMI for spec. I've owned and loaded for all 3 - The Blackout guys got it right.

^ this. AAC took a niche product and expanded the customer base. SAAMI spec means more mfrs on board means more hardware choices, off the shelf ammo availability means broader appeal to non-reloaders, ability to shoot super- and sub sonic from same platform appeals to both those who want to shoot suppressed and those who don't. The higher adoption rate of the cartridge potentially means greater interest in silencers for those in free states.

It's also appealing since you nearly get a complete powder burn in a 9" barrel.

I didn't see it mentioned but only use pistol suppressors with subsonic ammo, supersonic ammo may destroy the can and/or void the warranty. I believe the Liberty Mystic is an exception. In any case check with the manufacturer first.

Been reading up on it over the past few weeks plus Hickok45 did a pretty good video or two on it. I must say out of all the alternative AR-15 calibers floating around this one is the 2nd most appealing (slightly behind the 5.45, due to price) of them all.

The ballistics, availability, and price of the ammo is also the best for me compared to the others. I don't even have an AR but if I were to get one it'd be one chambered in 300Blk. Looking forward to more widespread adoption which will only drive the price down further.

300blk.jpg

One of the biggest benefits of this cartridge is being able to choose between a light, fast and loud load or a heavy, slower and quiet load by a simple switch of the mag.

As a side note, the 220SMK load in the configuration above is almost as quite as our MP5SD.

Here is some additional interesting reading on the subject: Ammunition Review: .300 AAC Blackout | The Truth About Guns

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top