JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
3006 reload fail.jpg click on the picture looks better

3006 reload fail.jpg

the only one out of 40 that did this never had this happen before and the powder load was mid range nothing hot
165 GR. SPBT IMR 3031 .308" COL 3.300" grs 45.0 Vel. (ft/s) 2707 51,000 PSI

That is not unusual for me (shooting an M1 Garand or when shooting 7.62x51 in my M1A). LC brass is good but, brass doesn't last forever.

I try to keep track of how many times I've re-loaded my brass. Then, I'll recycle my brass to "trash" prior to having one or two cases fail. I load in lots of a 100 or slightly more. And, I don't consider range pick up brass to be a reliable source for me.

I'll usually get only 3 reloads out of my M1A brass. And I don't anneal necks.

If you're using a bolt gun you may get better results.

Aloha, Mark

Rifle chambers can be all over the place.

Can we assume that the ammo was first fired through your chamber? Is it on the tighter side, say a commercial bolt gun from a reputable manufacturer?

Or, was it a well used bolt gun, w/ a military .30-06 chamber?

Or, are we to assume, that the ammo was first fired through an M1? Hey it's LC brass. That brass could be (maybe) streatched out quite a bit from the initial firing through an M1. Not to mention the violent extraction process. Just resizing it back down, may not "improve" the situation, if you know what I mean.

Tell us more?

Aloha, Mark

PS.......What about the brass? Was it made years and years ago? 1906-1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s? Brass can be brittle with age and when not stored correctly.

Not to say anything about re-loaded brass life. But, more to the point of rifle chambers and variations.

Story Time.

My son bought an almost new looking used Rem 700 in .30-06. I had 100s of .30-06 reloaded ammo from my M1 days. Anyway, he took some of those reloads and did some target practice. The bolt was difficult to close and open.

Humm.....the ammo worked perfectly through my M1. So, I used my gauge and did some checking. The ammo still gauged and PASSED.

I ended up screwing down the re-sizing die down a bit more. The brass gauged alittle more to the "lower cut" on the gauge's acceptable level. That ammo could be chambered with less effort used to lock the Rem 700's bolt. And, opening the bolt was much easier. So, although the ammo could now be used with my son's Rem 700 and my M1, I would be subjecting the brass to more streatching if I used that ammo in my Garand.

Aloha, Mark

PS........from a bolt gun, I'd also expect more re-loads out of my brass. But sometimes, you just gotta say, "Oh well."

i have reloaded a lot of ammo from this lot of brass and this was the first fail ever. the brass came from a friend who shot it from a 1903. he did not like to reload so i have close to 1600 round of that brass reloading 250 round out of the lot 3 time and only one fail my 3006 is a wetherby vangard was not overly worryed about it just wanted to share.
I have lot of reloading buds and they have all had blowout in their brass in one spot or other. just means that this 250 rounds of brass are done. I will have to do the next 250.

After a couple of incidents like this I discovered that a paper clip was my "new best friend" in my reloading room.

Any case that I even think there was a chance it had been fired in an auto-loading weapon is carefully probed.

One of the most useful "free" tools one could have.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top