JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A gun that you can hunt elk with at 200 or 300 yards is not going to be very pleasant to target shoot with if you don't like heavy recoil. Elk live in the back country, which means hiking, (unless you are a drive by killer) which means you want a light gun. Even a .308 in a light gun is going to kick you pretty good, which is no big deal while hunting but it sucks at the bench. A 7mm-08 will work on elk, but it is marginal, and it still going to recoil pretty good while target shooting.

You are trying to make one rifle/caliber do too many things. Do it right the first time, and buy two rifles. Something like a good .22 caliber (.223 or .22-250) centerfire and a 30-06 or 7mm Mag. Buy the large caliber used and you might be able to squeeze two rifles and one good optic in under a grand.

If you plan on hunting around this neck of the woods, then you won't want any gun with a heavy or long barrel.
Recoil? That's all dependent on what you're comfortable with. Someone mentioned that a 7mm-08 in a light rifle will be a hard hitter, but I don't agree with that statement. Granted the lighter the rifle the more it's gonna kick, but in a Ruger Compact I could shoot 7mm-08 all day. This is the rifle I bought for my wife, cuz she's not a big person and doesn't shoot rifles much. Not trying to bash on the guy that made the original comment about that, but in the world of hunting cartridges, it's a softie.
There are lots of good quality new and used 30-06 and 308s around that will fit your needs. Think a 30-06 (or 308) recoils more than you're comfortable with? Then pick a 7mm-08 or a 270. Less bullet mass = less recoil. Any of these will do fine for deer, elk or bear, especially within the 300 yard "limit".
26" barrel? Great for the bench or open country, but moving around in the brush with a stick that long (unless it's a single shot) will have you wanting to get the hacksaw out when you get home. A long barrel will increase velocity, but the short ones can be as accurate, if not more so. Most non-magnum bolt action rifles come with a sporter weight 22" barrel. You'll find that perfectly fine unless you want to spend the day punching the center out of the target. The lighter barrels will start to wander a bit when they get hot.
If I had a $1000 budget, I'd look for a nice used rifle scope package that had the best quality scope. I'd prefer Ruger 77 MKII or Winchester with pre-64 style action, but you won't go wrong with any of the other previously mentioned push feed rifles. One I've not seen mentioned would be the Howa or Weatherby Vanguard (same gun). Not one I'd own again, but that's not to imply they aren't a very good, affordable rifle. My personal choice is 30-06, but with the supply of decent 308 practice ammo available, that could be a deciding factor if you aren't interested in reloading your own.

Western Oregon/Washington Hunting most likely will never shoot 300yds anyway.

Not personally picking on you broncman.

I have seen this type quote many times, I don't get it. Even if one primarily hunts the woods and national forest or wilderness, close shots are common but 300 yards is really not that far in the woods when up high looking to other ridges or drainages. I only hunt western Oregon for elk and see 300+ yard (I'd personally shoot much farther with proper equipment).

300 yards is nothing for most of the rifles on the market.

I agree with this. A decent quality '06 or I really like my 7mm rem mag with a break. It will do what your asking with ease.

I recently bought a Steyr SBS Prohunter 7mm Rem mag in a SSG04 stock with extra magazines and topped with a Zeiss Davari(?) scope in my hands for under a grand. It is a .5 MOA rifle. I wouldn't rule out used.

Howa 1500 in .30-06. Best accuracy available with the Howa, and .30-06 is available in 150 gr. to 220 gr. making it extremely versatile. Howa makes the Vanguard for Weatherby, which is an identical copy of the 1500.

<broken link removed>

Hold your horses and wait for best deal.
I was lucky enough to get for my wife prestine condition 1980 era Rem 700 in 270win, Simons scope, hard case and 2 boxes federal premium vital shock all in 1 package for 200$. So just wait for tax time when people start buy a new guns and sell old ones for quick cash.

HATS OFF TO THE OP! (that's you, the dude who started this).

His question about a good rifle to 300 yards is quite probably the most reasonable rifle question I have read on this website in a coon's age.

For those of us with a few years and a few miles in the field, we know without a doubt that 300 yards is a VERY LONG SHOT in a hunting scenario. A shot to be considered with no shortage of serious contemplation of equipment, current conditions (of hunter and surroundings) and the game itself. Even competition-tempered target shooters assume a different mantle and a different set of criteria in the field if they are conscientious hunters.

The plethora of "gotta be ready for that 600 yard cross-canyon opportunity" arse-hules that predominate most internet websites is sickening and an overall detriment to the sport we hold sacred. This OP is to be commended for his question of perfect reasonableness.

I was in precisely his shoes 40 years ago. All my guns had been stolen. I had to start over. I wanted one rifle/caliber to handle everything from crows to elk (and as a competition shooter, knew that 300 yards was a LONG, DIFFICULT SHOT to place perfectly in the hunting field).

I bought a Remington M700 in .270. It served me for all I wanted it to do until I had the means to begin building once more a specialized battery. I still compete, and fortunately now equipped with guns that perform reliably at extreme ranges under controlled conditions, I still know that 300 yards is a LONG, DIFFICULT SHOT in the hunting field.

Again, my compliments to the OP.

Only thing I would add is that a 30-06 with correct loading will take a moose out to 250 yards, a 308 is not suitable for that work

308 at 250yds
250 -7.7183 2285 1739
500yds
500 -56.4146 1812 1093
Now at 500 there is a 56+in drop but it still has the energy to kill most any animal if you know your gun
Just sayin

Thanks for ever ones input 308 is fine and so is 270 I currently own a 270 but its old so was thinking of updating and getting something new

So whats the biggest difference in the 308 and 7mm-08?

I can just say ive shoot a few 30-06 and wasnt enjoyable but have no problem shooting 3 1/2 shells well goose hunting I know it all comes down to how the gun displaces the recoil

There have been excellent suggestions made, and I don't disagree with the .308, .30-'06, 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor, .25-'06, or others, but I'd toss in another for consideration...the 6.5x55mm. It's a pleasure to shoot, capable of gratifyingly accurate performance at 300 yards, and the spectrum of available .264 projectiles will cover the requirements you outlined. I don't suggest the 6.5x55mm is better than others, but it is efficient and entirely worthy of consideration.

"Thanks for ever ones input 308 is fine and so is 270 I currently own a 270 but its old so was thinking of updating and getting something new."

Which begs the question, "Why?" (Other than a serious affliction for acquiring new guns for very little reason: something of course I would never admit to being a victim of.)

Pretty hard to "update" on that cartridge. Perhaps a cosmetic overhaul and some "updated" accurizing of the old gun may be in order, but you hold right there the perfect answer to the question, Dorothy. Sometimes "Over the Rainbow" is not something any better that what is "right here at home".

"So whats the biggest difference in the 308 and 7mm-08?"

Without being precise, Captain, I would submit .024 inches.

The 7-08 would have an advantage of longer, more streamlined bullets in the same weight range (better ballistic coefficient). The .308 would have the advantage of being able to launch the same weight bullet at a slightly higher velocity, due to increased bore size. The 7-08 will be more suited to lighter bullets (the 7mm "ideal" is generally considered to be in the 140 grain range), and the .308 may give better performance with a slightly heavier bullet (150-165 grain bullets are frequently chosen for this caliber).

And for the gentleman suggesting a .308 (loaded properly with bullets of appropriate construction) might not be adequate for Moose, it is quite unfortunate that throngs of dead Moose killed efficiently and quickly with the .308 seem silent on the subject, and are therefore unable to support the gentleman in his argument against chasing them with such a caliber.

It's the only caliber my brother used on Moose in over 25 years of living in Alaska. In more recent years, he "upgraded" to a .30-06, but only because it was a stainless gun I delivered to him in compensation for taking me Sheep hunting. His stalwart Remington 760 .308 pump was beginning to show some exposure to the elements, but never failed.

Seems just about every cartridge mentioned would be a great choice for a 300 yard range for just about any game in North America. My personal favorites are 7mm - the .280, 7mm-08 come to mind, and if you are specializing in big animals at long range then the 7mm RM. To me the main qualifier is if the game might be hunting you as well. In that case a 338 WM is a pretty nifty choice, otherwise everything from the 6.5x55 (and even smaller) all the way to whatever magnum you think you need will get the job done.

I currently own a 270 but its old so was thinking of updating and getting something new

Then go buy yourself a new 270! Just don't get rid of the old one... trust me on that. Or, depending on what your present 270 is, you could consider spending money on upgrades like stock, scope, trigger, etc.

You've got the cartridge to do what you want and are used to it. Plus you don't have to buy different ammo.:s0155:

However, if you really want to try a different cartridge, try the 7mm-08. The 308 will recoil almost as much as an 06, which you said you didn't prefer. The 7mm-08 not as much and is a very capable performer. If you are a handloader you'll find lots of good bullets for it, too.

I like the 6.5mm, I have three 260 AI rifles and have taken Elk, Bear, and Dear with no problem. This years buck was taken at 380 yards with one well placed shot from a rested position, and he never knew what hit him. I wasn't trying for a long shot, but where I hunt, (in western Oregon) the units are big and steep with little chance of creeping closer. I would feel just as good with a quality 308 or 7-08. The lighter short action rifles, in any appropriate caliber are my choice for under 400 yard hunting. and the 260 can be loaded with 95grain v-max for varmints and 140 grain VLD's for anything else. Also for target shooting there's not much that can beat a 140 grain VLD at 2950 fps

Thanks for ever ones input 308 is fine and so is 270 I currently own a 270 but its old so was thinking of updating and getting something new

So whats the biggest difference in the 308 and 7mm-08?

I can just say ive shoot a few 30-06 and wasnt enjoyable but have no problem shooting 3 1/2 shells well goose hunting I know it all comes down to how the gun displaces the recoil

The 7mm-08 is better than the .308 at long range - run some loads through any online ballistics calculator and you will see. Both are still fantastic choices. I'd still take a .270 over either, and a .280 over the .270 or .30-06.

If you are thinking about updating to a new rifle, my current favorites are Tikka, Browning, and Savage. Get out to some gun stores and handle a few to see what you like. There aren't too many out and out clunkers out there any more.

You mentioned that you already have 270. I think that if you just up dated it a bit, maybe a new scope or a new stock, you would do just fine, so here is my 2 cents worth:

So the holidays are over and I have funds for a new toy trying to get an idea what would make a good 300yard rifle it will be used for deer target shooting and possibly elk or black bear

I'm getting old, and I don't handle recoil as well as I once did, so when I found myself in a similar situation, I weighed all of the possibilities, and decided that I would go with a 243. The 243 caliber is based on a 308 case but has a smaller diameter bullet. Specifically a 6 millimeter diameter bullet. The cartridge, while legal for everything up to and including elk seems kind of marginal for the larger critters unless you are a crack shot and never get the jitters when the game shows up at short range. Sometimes I stay calm, but more often I get excited at the possibility of putting a trophy on the wall. The 243 can push a 70 or 80 grain bullet up over 3000 feet per second. Lighter bullets will compete with a 22-250, and heavier bullets will go more in the realm of a 308. It is a versatile cartridge. My first 243 was a Savage, and I killed my first coyote with it. It is a nice light little gun, but has a cheap plastic stock. It wears a Redfield scope, and shoots just over an inch at 100 yards. My second 243 is a Remington 770. I bought it with a Bushnell scope already attached. It shoots into 2 1/2 inches at 300 yards, and seems like a pretty good gun. It is just a little heavier than the Savage. It too has a cheap plastic stock. Just a couple of weeks ago, I decided that I also wanted to try the 243 at the range where we shoot 600 yards in informal competition, so I got my friend Casey over at Frontline Arms in Beaverton to see what he could find in a heavier rifle in 243. What we came up with is a Remington 700 SPS. It is designed for varmint and target shooting. It arrived last Thursday, and I have not decided on the best scope for this rifle yet. I got the rifle for $610 which is below suggested retail by about $50.00. Casey is good that way. He doesn't soak you for every dime he can get. That leaves me with a little more lee way on the scope. The one I want is a Night Force, but that would cost $1450, more than twice the price of the rifle, so I may need to ramp my wants down a bit and go for something more affordable. I have my eye on a Leupold, but the one I like only goes to 25 power. Plenty good enough for hunting, but a bit shy on magnification when shooting targets at 600 yards. Well, it might be fine for you younger folks, but my tired old eyes don't do so well as they once did.

You asked for a suggestion. This is only a suggestion. There are plenty of other nice rifles out on the market these days, and if you look around you can find them for as little as $200. They might not be as pretty as those costing more, but most of them will shoot just fine. Go check out the rifles on Gunbroker.com. There are probably a thousand rifles advertised there, and you will find just about any type, size and caliber you can think of. I only bought mine from a retail outlet because I got a great deal on a new rifle that was exactly what I was looking for at the time. If you are patient, you can probably beat the price I paid, it will just take a little longer.
Oh yeah, the $610 I paid also included the shipping, so if you buy one from an out of state dealer, you have to consider that as well, The FFL dealer will tack on a few bucks, and of course the state of Oregon wants their $10 fee for affirming that you are indeed not a bad person. That brought my total to $620, out the door.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top