JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nowdays that means just about anything not chamered in .30-30, 7.62x39, and is larger than 6mm in diameter. Never in history have we had so many rifles that shot good out of the box for so little money. The trade off is that most of them are as pretty as a mud fence. Can you narrow down your criteria a little more? Action type, scope/iron sights, wood/synthetic stock?

So why not 30-30? I have taken Deer and Black bear with mine (Have watched hunting show receintly were they took a Moose or Elk with a 30-30). Also sure you can make 300yrd shots with it, just have to know your ballistics for that range. Western Oregon/Washington Hunting most likely will never shoot 300yds anyway.

30-06, 180gr, 2" high @ 100 yds. will be about 6 to 7 inches low @ 300.
300 win mag, 180gr, 2" high @ 100 yds. will be about 2 to 3 inches low @ 300.

If I remember right. Might look at some balistics tables to help you decide.

Take a look at the Rem 700 SPS line. 40 dollar rebate if you act before the 31st. Price point is about 600 to 650 for some of them. Not a bad looking rifle if you are into the plastic look.

So the holidays are over and I have funds for a new toy trying to get an idea what would make a good 300yard rifle it will be used for deer target shooting and possibly elk or black beer

Need more info to get you a good answer, but within those wide parameters, just about the entire world of cartridges is your oyster. Not sure I'd want a .30-30 or .35 Rem for 300yds, but the classics like .30-06 will do everything you need within 300 yards.

What's your budget? Do you handload (or willing/want to start)? How much target shooting (regular practice or once in a while, but we're really talking about a hunting-only rifle you'll shoot a box or two of ammo through in a year)? What accuracy do you expect/are you capable of? Do you have a scope or magnification range in mind? Is weight and handiness a concern (i.e. do you stalk or hunt from a blind/stand)? How do you handle recoil (e.g. what about Magnums)?

300 yards is nothing for most of the rifles on the market. If you want to shoot around that distance or even a little farther out and want to use it for hunting I would go with a Savage, Winchester Model 70 or Remington 700 in 30.06 or 308. Those rifles, in either of those calibers are the best, hands down, in the history of shooting.

So the holidays are over and I have funds for a new toy trying to get an idea what would make a good 300yard rifle it will be used for deer target shooting and possibly elk or black beer

The only experience I have in hunting the "not very elusive" Black BEER is at the local supermarket. It is really quite easy to sneak up on it, I never felt I needed a long range rifle when hunting Black BEER.:s0112:

So why not 30-30? I have taken Deer and Black bear with mine (Have watched hunting show receintly were they took a Moose or Elk with a 30-30). Also sure you can make 300yrd shots with it, just have to know your ballistics for that range. Western Oregon/Washington Hunting most likely will never shoot 300yds anyway.

I too have always been an avid .30-30 fan. Shot a doe off a cliff once at 330 lased yds with peep sight Marlin. I just dont reccomend it as a 300 yd gun for a seemingly newer shooter when there are many better 300 yd. caliber choices. Black bear I have shot with a .22 when it was legal, they dont impress me too much. I would use a .30-30 on elk too, if I had to, but thankfully I dont. Still I dont generally see the need for a magnum either. Im fine with a .270 or 06. I do own a .300 H&H but I only use it for nostalgic reasons.

My old Savage 112 270 shoots MOA all day long most of them do. I am selling my 700 ADC and buying another Savage in 308
plan on spending more for the scope than the rifle

Tikka T-3 in 270 or 300 win mag DNZ Game reaper 1 in mounts and a Nikon 3x9x40 bdc you would be looking at $900 maybe less. The rifle is sub moa and the action is 10x smother than any Rem I have seen and if you get the T-3 lite you will be thankful when Elk season comes around and you have to carry it all day. It is no slouch on the bench I would put it up against any SPS any time ! Period !

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top