JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
no worries, I've heard of weirder stuff but sounds like you know your way around firearms......I would discount what happened to you as a fluke that I bet wouldn't happen twice if you had another one to shoot at with the next round.....
I shot a turkey in the head once with a 22lr clean...I had to put 3 more in him before he got away. Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't done it

Hhhmmmmm, ok.............

So the black bear I shot was dead within seconds but you couldnt kill a deer with the same round..............

Thanks for clearing that up, the problem is obvious.

I'm going to refrain from explaining the larger kills I've made with much less weapon. All dead in their tracks.

I use a lot of CCI stingers on farm animals when I can get close enough for a good shot into the brain.
Silver Hand
most .22 LR are in the 1050 to 1200 range for muzzle velocity, but Stingers are around 1600. I to have killed a lot of critters with a .22 LR, but if it is a animal that can truly hurt me (Horns, real Bearclaws (not pastry), big sharp teeth) I want a Thumper!

If you are going to crawl through the bear trails in the salmon berry where the dogs have taken you and it is so tight there is no room to turn around in some places I don't suggest bringing a .22.
The little guy just might be turned around by now and end up in your lap before you know it.

One other thing about bear and I cannot say it enough, it is the young ones that are the most dangerous! The teenagers are out to kick butt and yours is just another butt to kick, so don't challenge them unless you want a fight. Older animals can't move quite as fast and they are still five times faster than us and wile most will run away from trouble there are some that will still stand and fight.
Silver Hand

gotta agree, if you got the choice go big in tight brush with bears just because I have had some experience going in brush after one that we didn't know was dead or not during an archery hunt....right as you go in $hit gets real man lol, on the other hand gotta run what you brung sometimes

I am not drinking coffee but once shot a forked black tail with a .223 in the shoulder at 100 yards, knocked him off his feet and when I got to the front door of the house from the barn he was there kicking having lost about two pounds of meet from the flesh wound. Nothing stopped him from leaving except the blow that had knocked him down. A perfectly placed shot and no vitals were penetrated only a flesh wound from a 55 grain Hornady reload, so I finished the job with a knife put away the toy gun once kept in my pickup and replaced it with a .30 caliber.

So you shot a bear - Twice? with a .22

Don't mock me as I am the real thing and have a life time of experience to prove what I have witnessed.
Silver Hand

Well, one of my late father's friends used to hunt Black Bears with a Colt Gold Cup 1911 in .45 ACP back when it was still legal to hunt them with dogs. They would tree the bear, and he would put a couple of Federal 230 gr Hydrashock Hollowpoints into the bear's heart/lung area, and it would drop down dead from the tree.

His den in his home was quite a sight to see, because in addition to a couple of fine deer heads, he had two bear skins mounted on walls of the room, and another one on the floor as a rug.

So I really don't think that it takes a lot to kill a Black Bear. 22 centerfire is certainly legal for hunting them here in Oregon. It is all about hunting in a responsible manner, and placing your shot well. Oregon's regulations only require .24 centerfire or greater for hunting Elk.

Well, one of my late father's friends used to hunt Black Bears with a Colt Gold Cup 1911 in .45 ACP back when it was still legal to hunt them with dogs. They would tree the bear, and he would put a couple of Federal 230 gr Hydrashock Hollowpoints into the bear's heart/lung area, and it would drop down dead from the tree.

His den in his home was quite a sight to see, because in addition to a couple of fine deer heads, he had two bear skins mounted on walls of the room, and another one on the floor as a rug.

So I really don't think that it takes a lot to kill a Black Bear. 22 centerfire is certainly legal for hunting them here in Oregon. It is all about hunting in a responsible manner, and placing your shot well. Oregon's regulations only require .24 centerfire or greater for hunting Elk.

Just because you can does not mean you should.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have to see what powders I can get, it sounds like a good amount of various powders work well. I've heard the 208 grain bullets do well, as well as the 220s. I'll likely start with those two.

I will definitely consider getting this gun threaded for a brake. I've seen before and after's of muzzle rise with and without a brake. Without a spotter this gun would be useless if not controlled.

I've got some time though. This guns in layaway jail. Then there is the scope to figure out. I have a Vortex on my 308 with the EBR2 MOA reticle. I'll probably stick with that. So I'll likely safe the rifle until the money comes in for the optic.

For long range shooting with heavy bullets, slower powders would tend to work best, assuming that you have a 26 inch barrel. H1000 is what the Army's MK 248 MOD 1 load uses. I think that a key reason that it was selected by the Army is that it is known for being very stable in extreme temperatures.

Vihtavuori powders are pretty awesome. Both their N560 and N570 would be alternatives to consider. Their burn rates are, respectively, slightly faster and slightly slower than H1000.

Last Edited:
well I hunt bear with my 300 Rum 220 gr round nose side arm bear hunting is my 45-70 revolver I elk hunt with the rum but shoot a 180 gr round nose and carry my 45 mag as a side arm .

For long range shooting with heavy bullets, slower powders would tend to work best, assuming that you have a 26 inch barrel. H1000 is what the Army's MK 248 MOD 1 load uses. I think that a key reason that it was selected by the Army is that it is known for being very stable in extreme temperatures.

Vihtavuori powders are pretty awesome. Both their N560 and N570 would be alternatives to consider. Their burn rates are, respectively, slightly faster and slightly slower than H1000.

Why the 26 inch barrel? I get the 200 fps+- advantage but from my experience the front sight if you have one - [mine was never removed] and the last two inches of the barrel are always hanging up or hitting on something. I can't be just me.

The pet load for my rifle a 300 Win Mag. with a 24'' barrel that shoots inside of a 3/4'' circle at 100 yards and sighted in at six inches high at that range, is a 180 grain Speer Grand Slam with 72.5 grains of imr 4350 and a 250 mag primer behind the pill.
A touch over the top load listed for this powder but this rifle has a large chamber [probably the first cut with the chamber reamer] all my brass is fire formed then neck sized only before concentric measurement procedures are applied. Bullet length 'protrusion' has been established using Chamber Casting Alloy and a micrometer seating die and using some trial and error.
I have also owned another magnum rifle, that it's chamber was probably the last cut with the chamber reamer. It would show extreme pressure using the lowest powder charges listed. So be careful when working up your loads.

I packed a 26'' barrel hunting just once personally it was not for me in the brush the shorter the better but there again every region has different circumstances.
Silver Hand

Last Edited:
You think that a 44 magnum revolver is more deadly than a 223 rifle? If so, think again.

You are correct the .223 or 5.65 mm respectfully @ 55 grains @ 2900fps +- produces approximately 1,o27 foot pounds of energy. Point blank.

The 44 mag. using a 240 grain pill @ 1380 fps +- produces 718 foot pounds of energy.
That is a difference of about 310 foot pounds of energy. Point blank.

The 300 Win Mag using a 180 grain grand slam [a lower than average coefficient than many .308 pills] @ 3200 fps produces 4,091 foot pounds of energy. Point blank.
At 300 yards this cartridge hits with more than twice the point blank energy of the .223.
That is to say 2,590 foot pounds of energy @ 300 yards from the 180 grain grand slam starting at 3200 fps.

Never double checked the math but I think it is all good so
lets all go hunting.
Silver Hand

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads