JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mine is a Model 70 and I only use factory ammo, but I have a dozen boxes or so, 160 to (I think?) 210 Gr factory ammo. All of them hate me!

mine is a little over 11 pounds and like I say its not bad to shoot to me it dont kick that bad now my 1961 Remington custom 300 H&H kicks like a freight train and not so fun to shoot

That's where hunting rifles and range rifles differ. If you can hump a 12+ pound rifle where I hunt for mule deer, I'll tip my cap to you and I'm sure the weight will only help when it comes time to shoot. With some of the packs that include a rifle scabbard, it is more feasible. Just not my cup of tea.

I'll take a rifle I can keep in my hands, even if it kicks like a mule. My 300 weighs 7 3/4 pounds field ready. Shoots flat when hunting open country and carries easy in the timber when elk hunting. I'm not particularly recoil shy, but I definitely don't plink with it.

I'm with you N_R.
I have never noticed recoil when taking a hunting shot.
But toting an overweight gun gets my attention by mid-day, and carries over into the next, and the next, and the,....

I'm with you N_R.
I have never noticed recoil when taking a hunting shot.
But toting an overweight gun gets my attention by mid-day, and carries over into the next, and the next, and the,....

I think its cumulative, for sure. I've been contemplating a heavier rifle for mule deer hunting because I tend to get up high in the dark and glass all day. It gets expensive having several hunting rifles in the same caliber though.

On the coast I like a seven pound rig +- a pound or so for long range.
I would never try to carry a bench rifle into the woods around here we have no fields or open land on the left coast. In fact I don't want my barrel to exceed 24'' If it is to be carried at all and I have no problem killing an elk or a deer at 500 +- yards with it. Now in the brush I would much rather an 18 or 20 inch barrel with a 250 grain slug, crawling around hunting bear and elk.
There is a place for every rifle that is why they make so many different types.
Silver Hand

Last Edited:
Pandza 3 You bet thump is the word.

Bealzybub-55 grains and you just rip there skin off, I cannot believe you shot anything, not even thin skinned animal like a domestic sheep, goat or deer for that matter reading what is coming from your keyboard.
And - Yes I did use a 250 grain slug wile hunting bear with hounds and the day a black fell off the branch from above me, wile he was in the air my 250 grain round through the lower jaw was enough to take him out. Laying dead at my feet instead of what ever else he had in mind when he let go.

Why not take the most efficient round for what you are hunting.
You Bealzybub never ran the brush talking the garbage about killing a black with a 22.
I will bet you are a city kids that likes to pretend and read about the realities involved in the real world just out side the city limits.
Silver Hand

Last Edited:
Well, I suppose in my case "ripping its skin off" was fatal almost instantly. And when you live out in the sticks and theres a bear in your food storage shed ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I wont return the favor by mocking "you" but I will say that if you think a 250g round is "most efficient round" for a 400 pound black bear well, we'll just let those reading decide.

You should probably lay off the coffee.

Eskimos in AK regularly cap off Polar Bears with 22 magnum....farm kill uses 22LR/Mag......killing anything is possible with 55gr with the right shot
I've dropped a couple little Black Tails with a Mini 14, no problems. One dead before he hit the ground , one spun around a couple times and died both about 40 yards

I don't have anything but my .44 Mag that can launch a 250 grain bullet. I have 170 Grain for my 30-30 and that would be my choice, because I can bring it in play faster with open sights on my Model 94. I do have some heavy bullets for my 7MM Mag, but with a scope on that model 70 it is slower to aim. I can point and shoot of course
I do think you can kill a Black Bear with 5.56, but it would not be my choice. I like the idea of more thump!

Well, I suppose in my case "ripping its skin off" was fatal almost instantly. And when you live out in the sticks and theres a bear in your food storage shed ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I wont return the favor by mocking "you" but I will say that if you think a 250g round is "most efficient round" for a 400 pound black bear well, we'll just let those reading decide.

You should probably lay off the coffee.

I am not drinking coffee but once shot a forked black tail with a .223 in the shoulder at 100 yards, knocked him off his feet and when I got to the front door of the house from the barn he was there kicking having lost about two pounds of meet from the flesh wound. Nothing stopped him from leaving except the blow that had knocked him down. A perfectly placed shot and no vitals were penetrated only a flesh wound from a 55 grain Hornady reload, so I finished the job with a knife put away the toy gun once kept in my pickup and replaced it with a .30 caliber.

So you shot a bear - Twice? with a .22

Don't mock me as I am the real thing and have a life time of experience to prove what I have witnessed.
Silver Hand

Eskimos in AK regularly cap off Polar Bears with 22 magnum....farm kill uses 22LR/Mag......killing anything is possible with 55gr with the right shot
I've dropped a couple little Black Tails with a Mini 14, no problems. One dead before he hit the ground , one spun around a couple times and died both about 40 yards

I use a lot of CCI stingers on farm animals when I can get close enough for a good shot into the brain.
Silver Hand

I am not drinking coffee but once shot a forked black tail with a .223 in the shoulder at 100 yards<snip>A perfectly placed shot and no vitals were penetrated only a flesh wound from a 55 grain Hornady reload
got no dog in this fight and I really really want to believe that but cant .....100 yards, perfect placed shot, no vitals only a flesh wound.....are you reloading like 10 grains of 335 or something because that should still be doing about 3000fps when it hit your forked horn off his hoofs

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top