JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to get myself a rifle for Elk and Deer. I want something with the power to take down an Elk at long range but still be able to hunt deer with a smaller grain bullet. I have heard a lot of great things about this gun (Browning BAR 300 Win Mag) and seriously debating buying one real soon. I like the semi auto option for quick follow up shots if needed. Anyone hunt with this rifle or had experience with one good or bad? Any suggestions on a similar rifle for the application I am looking for? Appreciate any and all input. Thanks

Looking to get myself a rifle for Elk and Deer. I want something with the power to take down an Elk at long range but still be able to hunt deer with a smaller grain bullet. I have heard a lot of great things about this gun (Browning BAR 300 Win Mag) and seriously debating buying one real soon. I like the semi auto option for quick follow up shots if needed. Anyone hunt with this rifle or had experience with one good or bad? Any suggestions on a similar rifle for the application I am looking for? Appreciate any and all input. Thanks
I had the gen III version in 300 WinMag and it was a monster...I loved it with a Leupold Mark IV but sold it to fund another rifle. The guy who bought it had a bit of trouble because he couldn't apparently shoulder it with enough firmness that it would occasionally give him a failure to feed.

You can't go wrong with a BAR in 300 Win!

A good friend had one that he hunted with every year, don't know the details, but that was 20 years ago and it was a long way from new then. I shot it once, and was highly impressed with both the accuracy and the low recoil, and bear in mind, that's coming from someone that finds the recoil of anything much more than a .223 uncomfortable at best :oops:. IF I ever felt the need for something in that caliber, I think a BAR would be my ONLY choice! Go for it!

Dave

I have 3 BAR`s, I just picked up a used BAR Mark 2 Safari used from a pawn shoppe, I think it was never fired, its in 7mm R em Mag, under 1/2 inches groups at 100 yards with Norma Oryx 156 grain and about 1 inch at 250 yads, great shooters, and on the lower end Peters Premier Blue in the same grain was almost as accurate..ans 1/3 of the price, so there you go....why do I buy gucci ammo, lololool.

IMG_2009.JPG

Well I appreciate all of the feedback and I have ordered and Browning BAR MK3 Stalker and it should be here soon. I'm really looking forward to sighting it in and Handloading some of my own rounds. Everyone I have talked to has had nothing but good things say about this firearms.

I have owned 2 of the first in 30.06 then .300WM and I just zeroed my uncle's BAR 300wm last night got a good bruise on my shoulder from it because all he has is Remington Core Lock. They do not group well at all with Remington coreLoke 180s but good enough to down a deer or elk but can be frustrating trying to zero if you are used to 1-inch groups as they are more like 3" groups with the coreloke. If you reload or find ammo that has Nosler Partition bullets or something similar the groups tighten up considerably you will find this information on many gun boards and I witnessed it personally. I used CoreLokes for the first couple years I thought there was something wrong with the scope then the rifle itself until going to forums and finding out it is a finicky eater.

Be sure never to ride the charging handle let it fly on its own.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads