JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at a Remington 700 in 300 Ultra Mag. have never had one and I would welcome comments from anyone with experience shooting this caliber and recommended loads for large game.
Thanks in advance.

First of all, you can't get brass ANYWHERE for it right now. So consider that. I use 165 grain Accubond over 100 grains of RL-25 with a Federal BR magnum primer. That'll wallop anything you'll come across on this continent.

Get a muzzle brake or you'll be sorry. The bolt on the 700s tends to take the skin off your trigger finger due to heavy recoil, so you may want to shoot with a glove.

I had a 300 Ultra mag and a .338 win mag. I sold the 300 UM. Pretty close the same ballistics, but the 300 UM was much more expensive to shoot. I had a Remington Sendaro, it was a very fine rifle. I decided not to have two competing calibers in my hunting arsenal. It is a great gun and caliber. I did not find it objectionable to shoot without a break. I would have to look at my reloading books for data. The big question, it what you will use it for, let that dictate choice. If I did not have the .338 Win Mag, I would have kept the 300 UM.

Um, the 338 WM and the 300 RUM aren't competing calibers...
I've got both.
Now, I will fully admit to having a 300 WM and a 300 RUM which are, in fact, competing calibers.

The 300 Ultra is a very fine long range gun! I started out with a Sendero and built it up from there. I have had really good results with 200gr bollits! Recoil is intense, but it is a 300 ULTRA MAG! Never had any trouble loosing skin from my trigger finger!

If you put a break on it, be prepared to loose some hearing if you hunt with it.

The 300 Ultra is a very fine long range gun! I started out with a Sendero and built it up from there. I have had really good results with 200gr bollits! Recoil is intense, but it is a 300 ULTRA MAG! Never had any trouble loosing skin from my trigger finger!

If you put a break on it, be prepared to loose some hearing if you hunt with it.

Good advice. Even better advice is to get a removable break, like from CPR, for working up a load then remove it for hunting purposes. I must say, you're buddies to the right and left of you at the range LOVE a 300 RUM with a brake.

I have had one, bought it when if first came out. I really didn't think recoil was all that bad, maybe like a 3.5" 12ga? I shot it prone and off a bench. I did put a towel between me and the butt stock when shooting sometimes. I never lost skin from the bolt and shooting anything with any kind of glove sucks.

I originally thought that I would need a brake as "everyone" said I needed one (people who never had a RUM) however, I never put one on and am glad that I didn't.

Originally I loaded it with lower bullet weights and didn't get great accuracy (trying to take advantage of the speed and "flat shooting"). One day I was looking at the ballistics, which were slim as it was new, and asked myself why I was trying for a barn burner instead of looking at it from the angle of being able to push a much heavier bullet at higher (than typical) velocities for a 30 caliber rifle. I then loaded with 200gr bullets and it shot great groups after that.

Sendero is heavy that's why recoil isn't a big deal with it get a hunting rifle that is nice to carry in & out of big canyons & the 300 ultra mag hearts. Most people are better off with something that kicks less so they can stay down on it when shoot.

Yup. My 300 is a Remington SPS, maybe six pounds. Kicks like a mule without a break, hence the bark coming off my trigger finger when shooting without it.

You guys have helped me to make a decision... not to purchase the 300UM and stick with my 30-06! I have always held the thought that a smaller caliber with a 1
" hole in the right place is much more effective than a large caliber with a 4" hole off target due to flinching. This analysis fits me but may not be true for others.

I had a Win model 70 in 300RUM and I say the recoil wasn't any worse then my .338wm. Didn't care for the cost of ammo and I would rather pack a 21" 338 then a 26" RUM, both would put the smack down on anything I care to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top