JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to have a custom-built long-range bolt made. Was thinking.338L but keep reading up on the 300 PRC and the crazy coefficients the ballistics have with nice heavy bullets. Also loving the idea that all the existing .30 cal cans I have are in play with it, vs buying and then waiting for a new tube with a .338 hole.

I see talk of 24" barrels and running a fast twist like 1:8. Does anyone have any hands-on experience with this?

For ammo, I will just load my own so not to worried about that.

I'm interested, so I'm just gonna hang out.
I'd think the twist should be at least 1:9", but I think my 30-06 should be a 1:9!
The case the 300 is based off of worked well in a shorter barrel than normal, but I wonder if choking it down to 30 cal changes that.

Looking to have a custom-built long-range bolt made. Was thinking.338L but keep reading up on the 300 PRC and the crazy coefficients the ballistics have with nice heavy bullets. Also loving the idea that all the existing .30 cal cans I have are in play with it, vs buying and then waiting for a new tube with a .338 hole.

I see talk of 24" barrels and running a fast twist like 1:8. Does anyone have any hands-on experience with this?

For ammo, I will just load my own so not to worried about that.
So what came of your 300 PRC, Helocat? Did you assemble the rifle yourself or order one put together by a custom shop? Which specific components did you include with it?

So what came of your 300 PRC, Helocat? Did you assemble the rifle yourself or order one put together by a custom shop? Which specific components did you include with it?
Time got me! Had to shelf the project due to no time for the fun stuff for a while. My business needed me more the last few years.

I still have this on the list and hopefully in the coming year I will have more time. The good news is I might be able to do more of the work myself as I now have both a CNC mill and lathe. Its just need more time!

Hope your schedule slackens and you can get back to the build you want to do, Helocat. Everyone will have their own preferences, but here's a 300 PRC combo that may interest: Prefit Proof carbon barrel on Terminus Kratos action, Diamond trigger by Trigger Tech, HNT-26 chassis by MDT, AICS CIP-length mags, TI Pro 3 self-timed muzzle brake. Probably should add go/no-go gauges to check the prefit headspace (suggest Pacific Tool out of White City next to Medford, quality but seems to take them a couple months to deliver). Result is a reacher.

You look at the price and availability of ammo??
Perhaps I'm an anomaly, but ammo for 300 PRC has never been a problem. Had the foresight to get plenty of Lapua brass and associated primers/powders, and reloading that round is actually pretty enjoyable. ELD-X bullets have always been relatively easy to find. That doesn't make it inexpensive compared to lesser rounds, but certainly beats the stupid prices people seem willing to pay for ammo in today's market. I still keep my eyes peeled in event there is ever a decent sale on 300 PRC ammo on the theory one can never have too much, not that I've seen one lately...

Hope your schedule slackens and you can get back to the build you want to do, Helocat. Everyone will have their own preferences, but here's a 300 PRC combo that may interest: Prefit Proof carbon barrel on Terminus Kratos action, Diamond trigger by Trigger Tech, HNT-26 chassis by MDT, AICS CIP-length mags, TI Pro 3 self-timed muzzle brake. Probably should add go/no-go gauges to check the prefit headspace (suggest Pacific Tool out of White City next to Medford, quality but seems to take them a couple months to deliver). Result is a reacher.
I like that build! I will see what I end up with when time opens up. I like the idea of milling my own chassis. But just time.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top