JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've read a little about cutting down .223 brass to make 300 BLK out of it. I tried a cheap chop saw for the initial trim, but the saw was so cheap it couldn't do a proper 90 degree cut. I'm OK with spending a little more to do it right. I have a Lee turret press that I've been using for precision rounds (may get something faster soon). What should I use to convert my .223 brass to 300 BLK?

honestly, i use a harbor freight mini chop saw with an amazon jig. it takes a sec to get it close to being the right size but once its set i dont mess with it.ever. i cut 20-30 at a time to prevent overheating my saw. i lube and run it thru my die. im really not concerned if the saw cuts it exactly 90* because my next step is putting it thru my rcbs trimmer with the 3 way cutter(saves a TON of time) on it. when its all said and done i have nice pieces of converted 300 brass.

Check out what one of the guys on Instagram does...
<broken link removed>

Block of wood drilled out to length, cheap chop saw. Your final sizing and trimming will square ends up.

I used to zip mine off then after sizing I put them in my RCBS TrimProII to square it up and get proper length.

word of advice... once u get your crimp out of the primer pocket (swager or reamer..i use a swager die) keep those brass separate from any range brass or newly aquired brass that way you wont have to repeat that step. 5.56 is kind of a bear just because of all the steps needed to process(which is why i cant justify a progressive set-up)... eliminating steps speeds things up IE:rcbs 3 way case trimmer and staying organized.

Check out what one of the guys on Instagram does...
<broken link removed>

Block of wood drilled out to length, cheap chop saw. Your final sizing and trimming will square ends up.

I used to zip mine off then after sizing I put them in my RCBS TrimProII to square it up and get proper length.
Oh, this looks like the sort of thing I would do. I had the exact chop saw you guys are all talking about, but I swear it was cutting way crooked. And not off horizontally where you could adjust it with the jig, but vertically. I may have gotten a bad saw. I returned that one. Guess I'll go buy another one. I'll make sure the package hasn't been opened before...

Oh, this looks like the sort of thing I would do. I had the exact chop saw you guys are all talking about, but I swear it was cutting way crooked. And not off horizontally where you could adjust it with the jig, but vertically. I may have gotten a bad saw. I returned that one. Guess I'll go buy another one. I'll make sure the package hasn't been opened before...

If you leave enough it will always trim off when you do your final trim to your 1.730" or whatever it is I can't remember. Angle doesn't matter on the rough cut.

word of advice... once u get your crimp out of the primer pocket (swager or reamer..i use a swager die) keep those brass separate from any range brass or newly aquired brass that way you wont have to repeat that step. 5.56 is kind of a bear just because of all the steps needed to process(which is why i cant justify a progressive set-up)... eliminating steps speeds things up IE:rcbs 3 way case trimmer and staying organized.
Like this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/251948/rcbs-trim-pro-case-trimmer-3-way-cutter-30-caliber
mounted on this? http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/565099/rcbs-trim-mate-case-prep-center-110-volt

I've got the Harbor Freight chop saw, with the case holder thing from Squirrel Daddy. It was like 11 bucks. The swager I've got coming is the CH4D. I've read good reviews on it. Seems like the top two are the RCBS swager, and CH4D.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top