JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey NWFA Community,

Im thinking about getting a stock .300blk very soon. And want to know what would all the steps be for suppressing it. New to the whole suppression world.

So i would need the "baby steps" to doing so. If you guys could help me out and walk me though it that would be great!

Thanks
Koda

Ar or bolt gun would be the first question.
For the suppressor take a look at silencerco they can help you through the whole process.

For .300 Blackout to be really be quiet, you need the barrel to be around 10.5", as that is what the cartridge was designed for.
Look into forming a gun trust for you suppressor, as the laws are going to change this year

Last Edited:
Apply for tax stamp.
Wait.
Thread barrel.
Wait.
Get tax stamp.
Buy silencer.
Screw it on.
I think that covers it.[/QUOTE
-

What he said ... screw a suppressor on and shoot .

I personally after having several with still owning a shorty & boltgun . 1st thing I noticed with the suppressed AR with 8.5" 10" barrel lengths and 'pistol position Gas-block' was that it is NOT as quiet as you would like . 16" set-up was better though .

It's still FUN and not loud as no having muzzle suppression .
but . blowback sucks on BLK suppressed AR sucks, because you are 'seeking' powder with sufficient amount of gas byproduct to make direct impingement system function properly . it's a vicious little circle on the Powders . The more Gas byproduct off the powder burn for positive function means more blowback/noise and more expanding muzzle gas for your suppressor to attempt to trap and muffle .
But it's still Fun .

.300 Blk uses pistol powder in the cartridge along with a heavy grain bullet and if you fire a round through the longer rifle barrel, it generates more pressure which increases velocity (speed) and the whole idea is to keep the projectile below the speed of sound.

Last Edited:
However, with a 10.5" barrel a suppressed 300blk build would be a 2-stamp gun.

Something to consider is whether your focus will be on subsonic or supersonic. If you are only going to shoot subsonic, you can use a pistol suppressor (9mm or bigger). If you want to ever use supersonic, you'll need a 7.62 rifle suppressor.

unless it is a pistol
Pistol schmistol. A person asking these sorts of questions shouldn't be encouraged to build an AR pistol, which have really limited utility except for the way they get an owner around a $200 stamp (pretty cheap in the long run). A short-barreled rifle is often better than a long-barreled pistol. If someone is willing to go to the trouble of buying a suppressor, what trouble is it to stamp your lower?

Last Edited:
no one is encouraging anyone....other than you encouraging an SBR.....if one cant utilize a pistol configured AR than wow sorry for you .....every bit as good as an SBR in this opinion

When I built my suppressed .300 Blackout SBR, I had installed a pistol buffer tube until the tax stamps showed up.
THIS^^

I can totally get behind building a pistol if the ultimate purpose is a stamped rifle. And there are a couple of other (very limited) uses for a pistol, in which case you might as well suggest a gas piston gun. And then the build gets more expensive than a stamped DI SBR.

This is all a detour around @Kodamafire 's original question. @jbett98 is totally correct that a 10.5" barrel seems to be a sweet spot for 300blk. That just has a couple of implications for a build you may be planning. You can:

-Get one stamp for a direct-thread suppressor and have a gunsmith pin it for a permanent installation. That would make the rifle a legal length over 16".
-Get one stamp for a suppressor with any configuration you desire and use it on an AR pistol. An AR pistol means a rifle in almost every way, but they have no shoulder stock, per se.
-Get one stamp for your favored suppressor as well as get a stamp for an SBR lower receiver and build up a short-barreled rifle. This is the superior method, but takes a long time and can cost more than a 1-stamp pistol or 1-stamp rifle with pinned suppressor.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thank you for all the feedback. The rifle i will be getting has a 16" barrel. Its a PSA rifle ar, not bolt.

When I do get it, ill message a a few of you (jbrett, CHLchris) anfld whoever else has some really helpful suggestions and whatnot.
Because im really mainly trying to take it in baby steps.. like suppressing for dummys lol

Thanks a lot everyone

I did a ton of research before I committed to building my SBR .300 AAC Blackout.
It was also my first attempt at putting together an AR.
I bought the best quality parts and took my time in the building process and was rewarded with a perfectly functioning firearm.
That being said, at the time I did this, there was a huge demand for suppressors because of ATF's rulings on gun trusts, so I bought my AAC SDN 7.62-6 suppressor as it was the only one available for sale.
A lot of technical improvements have been made since then and there are some really nice multiple use cans (.22lr to .30 cal all in one pkg) now on the market that seem to me a desirable way to go if you're only going to buy one tax stamp but want to run a can on every gun you own that's threaded.

300 blackout can be ammo and setup sensitive. Especially suppressed and with short barrels. Pay attention to gas tube location and port size. Buffer springs and weights. Bolt carrier weight. If one is off you can have cycling problems. Seating depth makes a difference as well as mag type.

Supersonic I need to use an h2 buffer or I get double feeds.
Subsonic I need to use certain ammo or hand loads or I get FTF's.

Stay away from cheap factory 300 blk ammo. I have a couple hundred that are basically garbage.

With a 16" barrel you will probably have to hand load to get subsonic to work.

Cleaning becomes more important suppressed also. It gets dirty fast.

As always your mileage may vary.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads