JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Want to load up some subs with Hornady 208 grain bthp using accurate 1680. Everything I've read is 11 grains is a good starting point. Will be shooting out of a Tri Arc 10.3" with a Rugged Radiant can. Any suggestions on a good starting point.

Thanks

87257BC3-7947-4471-8E9B-344741E4068B.jpeg
I have a test batch loaded up with the 10.7 gr but have yet to get to the range. Load data is from Lyman's ar load book.

Want to load up some subs with Hornady 208 grain bthp using accurate 1680. Everything I've read is 11 grains is a good starting point. Will be shooting out of a Tri Arc 10.3" with a Rugged Radiant can. Any suggestions on a good starting point.

Thanks
Loaded up 208 gr Hornady match with 11.2 gr Accurate 1680. Gun cycled great really quiet with the can. Sub sonic for sure, didn't have a chrono. Pretty sure I can go a little lower. Powder is dirty! Next time I'll care more about accuracy, first time loading subs today.

Thanks
I load 10.6 Hm 1680 with a 230gn cast and powder coated bullet. Quiet and accurate

I haven't tried that projectile for subsonic BLK. Most of my experience is with coated lead 220 or 225 grain bullets in 16.5" barrel bolt guns. I have tried 4227, 1680, Lil Gun, and CFE BLK. In my gun, I prefer the 1680 first, and Lil Gun second for my application. I found the best groups, while remaining subsonic in my rifle with 10.4 grains of 1680 at about 1,050 FPS across the chronograph. 7 grains of Lil Gun was 2nd best groups at about 1030 FPS. As always, verify any suggested loads (including mine) with published load data.

Last Edited:
Before screwing your can on, shoot some paper with your loads at close range and examine for clean holes indicating your setup is stabilizing the bullet adequately. I do this every time I shoot a new load I intend to shoot through a can to prevent baffle strikes. Just my 2 cents.

I would be interested at what point a bullet would stick in the barrel? I am also interested in sub sonic 300BO loads with 150gr bullets?
it all depends on the set up and where you decide to start, i have one 7" 300 that will cycle 180 grain sub with 11 grains of 4227
the 8" will not cycle them it also depends on if your working for slowest and quietist or just factory published data.

it all depends on the set up and where you decide to start, i have one 7" 300 that will cycle 180 grain sub with 11 grains of 4227
the 8" will not cycle them it also depends on if your working for slowest and quietist or just factory published data.
Loads would be for bolt action and up to 16" barrel length.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top