JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think you're selling the 5.56 short. The gun is lighter, you can carry much more ammo, ammo is way cheaper as is the gun...

Military still qualifies with the 5.56 at 500 yds with iron sights. My son qualified expert with 5.56.

The 5.56 is deadly.

I only wish I had started with AK 74 instead of AR 15 because ammo is so much cheaper as are the rifles. Now I'm stuck because I have too much dough tied up in Ar-15's and 5.56 ammo.

You could always get a 5.45x39 upper for your AR-15 to shoot on the cheap..:s0155:

Wow. Great article. This statement struck me as funny: "The mission in Somalia further confirmed the ineffectiveness of the cartridge on targets that were malnourished and not protected by body armor. Unfortunately, these conflicts were of a short duration and the lessons learned had little impact on improving small arms lethality." I understand he's referring to the short duration limiting the amount of lessons learned, but I dont think a conflict being of a "short duration" is ever unfortunate.

I wonder what round they were using. This is where the XM193 55gr would be better.

I was in service when the M16 first came out, and it was still having birthing pains. One of my duties for a few months was as a range master at Ft Benning, and what I observed.

Those that could not qualify with an M16 probably should not have a weapon, ever, because they could not listen. Almost everyone qualified first try, and most qualified SS or better.

In those periods where they had some recruits qualifying with the M14, I would say that a full 1/4 did not qualify on their first attempt, and most just qualified. Problem? Flinch.

No-one flinched with the M16, a lot of people flinch with the M14.

The best possible weapon is the one that can Accurately put the most rounds on target, sorry, that would be the M16 by a long margin.

IMHO: The problem is the "spray and pray" mentality of some. Even there, I think the M16 would win there because you can carry so many more rounds for the same weight,

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top