Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

300 blackout round

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Gas, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Gas

Gas Gig Harbor, Washington, United States Active Member

2. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

Nice, but it just looks like a new take on the 300 whisper.

3. kevlar

kevlar Mt.Angel Active Member

Agreed 300 whisper aka 300 fireball.
    Been around quite a long while

4. novamind

novamind Hillsboro Active Member

Think about upin it to 8mm, for a strait case round, and call it the " Black Improved".....

5. novamind

novamind Hillsboro Active Member

""Black Out Improved " rather...

6. zeezee

zeezee nowheresville Member

Why not just convert to the AK 7.62X39? Me, I prefer the 7.62 NATO, why change a good thing? :D

7. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Silence, heathen!

8. zeezee

zeezee nowheresville Member

INFIDEL, not heathen. I say drop the 5.56 and equip our armed forces with the 7.62. It has the range and the power to get the job done, much more than the 5.56 or an imitation AK round. :bluelaugh:

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  9. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

^^ What he said.

10. oregonshooter

oregonshooter AMERICA Member

I expect a lawsuit to keep it out of production myself, but yeah, it's a 300 Fireball and nothing more from what I can see. Supposedly there is just enough change to require a reamer on your 300 Whisper chamber to use them, but why bother?

The only gain is factory ammo, and anyone with a 300 Whisper build is a reloader by default I would think?

11. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

All I can say is that I built one and am very happy with the performance ........ The 220Gr round is dang accurate out to 200 yards ...... Waiting on some 123gr Rounds to become available again. Also have a Hairtrigger Falcon 'CAN' headed in for it. Should be super quite with the 220gr Sub-Sonic rounds .... they also make a 175gr Sub Sonic.

Should be a great Pig Gun ..... :thumbup:

12. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Exactly.

13. i8asquirrel

i8asquirrel Keizer, oregon Member

:thumbup: Thats the Idea it a 300 whisper...But the 300BLk out is a saami standard round!!

14. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

.300 Whisper, .300 Fireball, .300-221, ect and now the 300Blk (saami) are all designed to use ALL standard parts on an AR other then the barrel to provide a quality SS round.

I really like mine .300 "Whisper",
    DSC_0004-2.jpg

I have had mine a couple years now. Brass is easily made from cut down .223 brass. Any .223 brass I have that is under length for my target AR goes in the "Whisper" pile to be cut down. There are tons of reloading resources online.

15. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Gas's original post has a Link to a Webpage that explains the rationale behind the round. I think it is a good idea, but not as good as 7.62 NATO

16. 300BlackoutMan

300BlackoutMan Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States New Member

Hey, Gas/everyone-

Thanks for posting this. There are MANY folks not yet aware of this round. This is what brought me to this board, too.

17. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I think you're selling the 5.56 short. The gun is lighter, you can carry much more ammo, ammo is way cheaper as is the gun...

Military still qualifies with the 5.56 at 500 yds with iron sights. My son qualified expert with 5.56.

The 5.56 is deadly.

I only wish I had started with AK 74 instead of AR 15 because ammo is so much cheaper as are the rifles. Now I'm stuck because I have too much dough tied up in Ar-15's and 5.56 ammo.

nwo and (deleted member) like this.
  18. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

You would be more correct in saying that the Marines qualify at 500, I think. I know the Army doesn't...or at least, while I was in (1974 - 1988) we qualified with our max range being 300 meters.

I am NOT a believer in the 5.56 round as a military round. I know others may have different opinions, but I think that a round that is NOT able to provide killing shots at 500 meters is not a service round. (Please read http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA512331&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf) It is a paper written by a US Army Major that describes the whole 5.56 and up argument from an Army perspective...

19. CleverName

CleverName Southern Oregon Active Member

Wow. Great article. This statement struck me as funny: "The mission in Somalia further confirmed the ineffectiveness of the cartridge on targets that were malnourished and not protected by body armor. Unfortunately, these conflicts were of a short duration and the lessons learned had little impact on improving small arms lethality." I understand he's referring to the short duration limiting the amount of lessons learned, but I dont think a conflict being of a "short duration" is ever unfortunate.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Experts, smexperts.

I haven't heard returning troops complain about their 5.56's and in fact, the AR 15 has only grown in popularity as a civilian rifle, even among ex-GI's.

I will strongly disagree that the 5.56 isn't good to 500 yards, and I think it's best in 55gr (XM193) form. I believe the only reason the military went to the ballistically inferior 62gr was so that it could be shot from the same barrel as the long tracers.

The military has increasingly produced 1:7 twist barrels solely because that's needed for the high aspect ratio tracers due to their ballistic co-efficiency, but that would tear up the 55gr bullets. Again, a compromise.

Remember, the first Armalites came out with 1:15 twist which was quickly replaced by 1:12 twist for the 55gr bullet. Now the 1:9 is most common for civilians because it will shoot both the 55gr and the 62gr.

When I start hearing returning GI's complaining about their M-16's, I'll pay attention.