JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I really want a 30cal AR.
Not much desire for the suppressor (or is it the money?) but I like the blackout over the 7.62X39 for the AR because the mags work and I have those already.X39 mags are finicky?
Blackout is great for accuracy and should have plenty of energy out to 200yds?

Then the 308 shines,but I'm not sure if I truly need a AR for those distances.Apparently the mags aren't too bad for price

Then it comes down to ammo prices and availabilities
Is the 300BO going to go the way of the 10mm?

Thanks for looking.
Mike

Personally and this is just me. unless a extra pound or 2 of weight is a factor and/or if you reload, i would go with with the .308

If you do reload it sounds like the way to go based on what you want it for. i considered it for a while but until i see ammo for it at bi mart at the same price as .308 i would not buy it or if i get into reloading

.308 can be purchased at bimart walmart fishermans and just about any where that sells ammo

300 your gonna have to know where it is and when its in stock or mail order it.

also .300 usually cost $22 a box at least thats what i saw it for in the only place in town i know that carries it while .308 is $15 a box and surplus $8-10 a box

I don't think any one will argue that .308 out performs 300 by a long shot

If your a reloader i don't think cost and availability of the .300 will be much of a factor though.

So i think it all comes down to weight . but if you get the lightest .308 available it may be only a pound difference for again in my opinion for a rifle that can do a lot more for a lot less cost

the only thing that appealed to me about the 300 in the beginning was that its supposed to use all the same parts as a .223 except that barrel .

the only thing that appealed to me about the 300 in the beginning was that its supposed to use all the same parts as a .223 except that barrel .

Well....that is kinda the same for me.The ballistics are great,OK good and I do reload,but you still need brass.Plus the necks have been stretched to the limit,so how many reloads on a brass ? Not that worried about a little extra for packing.

Now I say a 308 AR because that's the platform I have kinda decided on for a 308 cal rifle

The .300 BLK is a cool round but it was built for one job and that was to be suppressed and still pack an accurate punch. If your not planning on doing that I see little point in owning one. There are much better calibers around. But of course there is a company who thinks they can make money selling it as a mulit use caliber and have been doing it well. Like most have said in other threads if I want loud .30 cal my Whisper is not what I am taking with me........

As for life the .300 BLK may or may not "stick around" but the original version has been around for over 20 years, .300 Whisper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and has a small but strong following.

Oh and if you use .223 brass there is no stretching of the neck. The case is actually cut off below the current shoulder and a new one is made.

Is the 300BO going to go the way of the 10mm?

Awww don't say that man! I'm waiting on a few parts for my 300BLK build, and I've been slowly collecting parts for a 10mm 1911 build as well.

I would have to agree with most other people that comment on this issue on various boards, and say that the 300 Blackout is probably not ideal unless it is going to be a suppressed SBR(mine will have a 9" bbl). If you are shooting supersonic ammo instead, it will work fine out of a 16" barrel, but there are certainly many other more suitable options depending n what you want to do. One big advantage is standard AR parts all the way around except the barrel.

308 AR's are larger and heavier, and generally more expensive both to build and feed. But if your goal is long range shooting, or more energy on target, the 308 is probably a better bet(aside from the usual arguments for a bolt gun being better for some of these uses). There are of course other caliber options for the AR-10/LR-308 platform as well that you may want to look into, as well as other AR-15 calibers such as 6.5 Grendel or the various 6.8's.

Hate to jack my own thread (can I say that on here?) but where did you find the barrel and slide for the 10/1911?:huh:
I just don't want to spend $2500 on one right now.

Not sure the 6.5 or 6.8 will be financially feasible. I reload,but I still have to have starter brass.

So,thank y'all.My answer has been answered sufficiently.But brings up the debate of the AR being the best 308 platform.And there are plenty of threads for that!;)

Hate to jack my own thread (can I say that on here?) but where did you find the barrel and slide for the 10/1911?:huh:

The barrel I have is from Storm Lake(5" nowlin ramped), and when I have the money I'm planning to order a matched frame and slide from Caspian(that alone will probably be $700-800, as much as I paid for my complete factory 1911). Depending on how nuts I go with it, I figure by the time it's all done I will be somewhere around $1500, maybe $1700. Building a custom gun ain't cheap! But when I'm putting this much effort and time into a project, I figure I might as well make it worthwhile. Now of course that price doesn't include tools I buy, or if I have to send it out for machining that I can't do... But this is also an interesting learning experience as I fall deeper into the gunsmithing rabbit hole.

As to 6.5/6.8 prices, I haven't looked too closely into that, but I imagine the 300BLK will probably be one of the cheaper alternative calibers for the AR. Although if price and longevity are issues of concern, there's always 22LR or 9mm, although a bit short on useful range. The 6.5 looks tempting for a compact long-range setup, but I'm a long ways from getting around to a long range project rifle(leaning towards the normal bolt rifle calibers - 270, 308, or a 300 Mag of some kind).

I have a 308 AR and I'm waiting on the stamp for my 9" 300BLK and SDN-6 can. I'm primarily going to run suppressed at the range and use it for a sub 150yd deer gun with supersonic ammo. With a can and Aimpoint it will be about 1lb lighter than my LR308 AP4 with ACOG.

Remington is making UMC ammo in 300BLK for ~$12/box. Midway says they'll have it in round Christmas, I'd wager it'll be mid January. This is cheaper than 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC ammo. Most 300 Whisper ammo is compatible as well.

If you go for a 308 AR, Armalite and Noveske make top-shelf performers except they use modified M14 mags. I chose the DPMS style since they have p-mags and a larger following, even though DPMS quality control can be lacking at times.

It should be noted that I'm a 10mm guy as well. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Not sure the 6.5 or 6.8 will be financially feasible. I reload,but I still have to have starter brass.

So,thank y'all.My answer has been answered sufficiently.But brings up the debate of the AR being the best 308 platform.And there are plenty of threads for that!;)

If you decide to go with the 6.5 I have some starter brass I can give you. I personally think that if you're trying to stay within the realm of standard AR-15 lowers/uppers and general parts then the 6.5 or 6.8 is a better choice than the .300. But that is my own opinion. You're entitled to yours. But the offer stands. If you go the 6.5 route I'll send you some once fired brass.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top