JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not bothered by your question at all. In fact I appreciate it. Things that make you think sometimes open up other alternatives.

As far as downloading a 308 I suppose it can be done easy enough, but there's the case fill thing that can have an effect on consistency and accuracy according a few books I've read on the subject. Too little and you can get flashover, detonation and erratic powder burn. Using a 300 BLK case should help to avoid some of these possible pitfalls hopefully.

And some how the stars aligned :cool: apparently there is a tread talking about .308 ss that started last night..... https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/308-subsonic.347382/#post-2758298

I understand the difference between a gas gun and a bolt, that was not part of the question.

The question was why BLK vs .308 in a bolt gun. How much weight/size difference is there in a same make/model of gun between those 2 calibers? Wouldn't they be built on the same action?

The weight is in the barrel needed to stabilize flight. 300blk can stabilize a heavy 7.62 bullet faster in a shorter package.

AHH, I see what your saying.

Take a look at @Reno 's posted pic as example.

Suppose I could weigh/measure our .300's vs our .308's, but I'm not going to. Then ad in the magazine weight & any extra magazines. But IMO its comparing completely different tools.

Agreed very different tools.

I understand that. You can do the same with .308. A .30 bullet at subsonic speeds has the same ballistics no matter what parent case you use.

I know BLK is now a common round nowadays but sourcing .308 brass would be cheaper and more readily available. There are more guns chambered in .308 then BLK. If you ever decide you want non-subsonic rounds you can get more versatility with .308.

If someone just wants a BLK so be it. I was just curious the advantage to it in a bolt gun.

Can you slow down .308 to sub, yes. But can a traditional .308 rifle accurately shoot it, no. A 1:12 or 1:10 twist is not ideal for a slow-moving 220gr projectile. But a 1:8 twist can, and also do it with less barrel.

#1 advantage of the bolt vrs. gas gun shooting suppressed is noise. #2 we can slow the bullet down to any speed we want where it still leaves the barrel and the bolt will always cycle. :D

OP: Dont forget the B&T SPR300. Two stamp gun but designed from the ground up to be as quite as balisticly posible. Over the barrel purpouse built B&T suppressor. (H&K style) Whole package fits in a small bag. Folding stock and the suppressor comes off.

I can tell you how it shoots in a solid yr or so as the two form 4s soak with the ATF. Bought it 4 months ago, stamps went in two months ago and still have not been cashed.
1606842748740.png

The weight is in the barrel needed to stabilize flight. 300blk can stabilize a heavy 7.62 bullet faster in a shorter package.

Agreed very different tools.

Can you slow down .308 to sub, yes. But can a traditional .308 rifle accurately shoot it, no. A 1:12 or 1:10 twist is not ideal for a slow-moving 220gr projectile. But a 1:8 twist can, and also do it with less barrel.

#1 advantage of the bolt vrs. gas gun shooting suppressed is noise. #2 we can slow the bullet down to any speed we want where it still leaves the barrel and the bolt will always cycle. :D

OP: Dont forget the B&T SPR300. Two stamp gun but designed from the ground up to be as quite as balisticly posible. Over the barrel purpouse built B&T suppressor. (H&K style) Whole package fits in a small bag. Folding stock and the suppressor comes off.

I can tell you how it shoots in a solid yr or so as the two form 4s soak with the ATF. Bought it 4 months ago, stamps went in two months ago and still have not been cashed.
View attachment 785313
Looks badass.

I'm afraid to ask the total price!

EDIT: just looked. :O

The
Looks badass.

I'm afraid to ask the total price!

EDIT: just looked. :O

I have no doubt it can be recreated using a short Rem 700 action and a custom chassis like a McCrees, for less. But it's that over the barrel can only a B&T that I know of unless one just custom made one and did a form 1. It's been a bit since B&T brought any of these into the US. A small-batch came in and I was able to order it out of NC from Tar Heel State Firearms on a pre-order basis. It's on lockdown now in Oregon at my dealer. I did get to see it in person. It's pretty. Looking forward to working up a load for it.

Before this became available I was going to build it as described above. Short Rem 700 Action on a McGrees chassis, custom 9" barrel with a 1:8 twist from Pac-Nor in Brookings OR.

Helocat that B&T is sick! What a great gun that is going to be. I've been "thinking" about trying to "make" something like that with the Rem 700 "pistol" if one were to turn up anytime soon.

For now I just have the Remington 700. In the pic below it sits in a green/black HSPI stock that came off a 5R rifle. Has a cheap little Nikon and an ole Surefire can. It'll shoot S&B 200gr FMJ subsonic into an inch all day at 100-yards. I've just started to play with some handloads with 220gr SMKs, 208 Hornadys and 210gr Bergers. Still a long ways to go in development there. Neat gun to be sure. Need to find the same stock but in black (its in the name). Funny thing with this gun zeroed at 50-yards with that S&B 200gr FMJ it is 48-inches low at 200-yards, giggling about that for days.

20200821_201226.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews