JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just recently started thinking more seriously about a 300 BLK bolt action mainly for subs.

Looked at the Ruger and also the Savage Axis with the accutrigger.

Thoughts on either?

Any other options to look at?

Thanks!

I have the Rem 700 16.5 1:7 that I run a SilencerCo Omega 9K on. I enjoy shooting factory loaded 110 gr V-Max Hornady Black. I've run some subs to. Fun gun just wish it was a few pounds lighter.

F64E04F3-72B3-4F25-A46B-812CF0B59A8B.jpeg 45FB511A-1558-4199-B509-D8B7C2496718.jpeg 937B2664-2699-4A2E-ADA1-F82F09F6C32B.jpeg

I am not trying to be judgmental when I ask this question, but I do not understand the point of .300 BLK in any platform that is not semi auto. What is the point/purpose?

The .300 Whisper was developed to be used in a standard AR platform only by changing the barrel and have a cartridge that was quiet and cycled the action.

If you are using it in a bolt gun, why not get a .308 which is more versatile and load subs for it?

I am not trying to be judgmental when I ask this question, but I do not understand the point of .300 BLK in any platform that is not semi auto. What is the point/purpose?

The .300 Whisper was developed to be used in a standard AR platform only by changing the barrel and have a cartridge that was quiet and cycled the action.

If you are using it in a bolt gun, why not get a .308 which is more versatile and load subs for it?

Quieter than a gas gun, no action cycling. Lighter than a .308.

I've owned two 300 BLK bolt actions. First was a Ruger American Ranch. Shot some supersonic and subsonic loads through it. Mainly got it for subsonic use with a suppressor. A year or two later, CZ began offering the 527 suppressor ready in this chambering. I'm a fan of CZs, so I sold the Ruger after I picked up the CZ. They both have been fun to shoot suppressed with subsonic handloads. I haven't had a chance to try lots of different loads for it yet; have mainly been using a 220 grain coated lead bullet with 1680, lil gun, or 4227 powder loaded to subsonic velocity to ring steel.

While I haven't tried loading 308 subsonic, given the much larger case capacity, and need to use a smaller powder charge to keep the speed down to subsonic velocities, I'd think the smaller case volume of the BLK would be preferable for this application. Also many of the BLK bolts have a fairly quick barrel twist rate which helps stabilizing heavy Bullets at slower velocities.

No argument from me on the versatility of the 308; I have several, including a Ruger gunsite Scout that I may try developing a subsonic load for when I get time. The barrel is already threaded...

Last Edited:
Quieter than a gas gun, no action cycling. Lighter than a .308.

I understand the difference between a gas gun and a bolt, that was not part of the question.

The question was why BLK vs .308 in a bolt gun. How much weight/size difference is there in a same make/model of gun between those 2 calibers? Wouldn't they be built on the same action?

For anything serious like hunting or self defense?

If not, and strictly quiet gun but still could totally be used for the above, but slower.

Single shot.

Tiny action, lighter, shorter, same level of sound.

Just a thought, feel free to disregard if off base.

1606791800480.jpeg

I understand the difference between a gas gun and a bolt, that was not part of the question.

The question was why BLK vs .308 in a bolt gun. How much weight/size difference is there in a same make/model of gun between those 2 calibers? Wouldn't they be built on the same action?

AHH, I see what your saying.

Take a look at @Reno 's posted pic as example.

Suppose I could weigh/measure our .300's vs our .308's, but I'm not going to. Then ad in the magazine weight & any extra magazines. But IMO its comparing completely different tools.

OP expressed specificly to utilize subsonic ammunition.

OP expressed specificly to utilize subsonic ammunition.

I understand that. You can do the same with .308. A .30 bullet at subsonic speeds has the same ballistics no matter what parent case you use.

I know BLK is now a common round nowadays but sourcing .308 brass would be cheaper and more readily available. There are more guns chambered in .308 then BLK. If you ever decide you want non-subsonic rounds you can get more versatility with .308.

If someone just wants a BLK so be it. I was just curious the advantage to it in a bolt gun.

I understand that. You can do the same with .308. A .30 bullet at subsonic speeds has the same ballistics no matter what parent case you use.

I know BLK is now a common round nowadays but sourcing .308 brass would be cheaper and more readily available. There are more guns chambered in .308 then BLK. If you ever decide you want non-subsonic rounds you can get more versatility with .308.

If someone just wants a BLK so be it. I was just curious the advantage to it in a bolt gun.
I'd say there are more factory subsonic loads available in 300 than 308. Yes you can make 308 slow, but that's like taking a corvette and putting a 1.5 liter in it. 300 Black is a civic, it's already going slow, but you can put a turbo on it if needed and it will go fast when wanted. However, it's better to let it go slow.

I'd say there are more factory subsonic loads available in 300 than 308. Yes you can make 308 slow, but that's like taking a corvette and putting a 1.5 liter in it. 300 Black is a civic, it's already going slow, but you can put a turbo on it if needed and it will go fast when wanted. However, it's better to let it go slow.
Nice Analogy :s0069:

In some cases, they are built on the same action. I believe the Ruger American is offered in .308 as well as the Ranch in 300 with the threaded barrel. For the CZ (which I was interested in) the 527 is not offered in 308, only smaller calibers. CZ does offer a .308, but not the "micro" Mauser action. Probably not a lot bigger, but it's not the same action. I'm not as familiar with other manufacturers offerings.

For my intended application, I considered going the route Reno suggested (break action single shot). Would work fine for what I do with it. However, at the time, the Handi Rifles in BLK were getting hard to find and expensive for what they are, so I ended up with the Ruger for about the same $. Since then, I've seen another company or two offering break action single shots in BLK so maybe prices are more reasonable.

While I handload, not an issue for me, but for someone who relies on factory ammo, I know BLK subsonic ammo is commercially available fairly easily during non panic buying times. I'm don't recall seeing factory loaded subsonic 308 as widely available (but it may be)?

I had not considered the factory subsonic ammo issue. That is a solid point.

To the OP, sorry if I hijacked this thread, was not my intent.

I have an AR in .300 Whisper that I had to have a custom barrel made for. This was long before the BLK was a thing. I had to make all of my own brass for it also. I only run subs in it, as that was the intended purpose. I was just tying to understand "why" in a bolt gun when there are other options.

Last Edited:
I had not considered the factory subsonic ammo issue. That is a solid point.

To the OP, sorry if I hijacked this thread, was not my intent.

I have an AR in .300 Whisper that I had to have a custom barrel made for. This was long before the BLK was a thing. I had to make all of my own brass for it also. I only run subs in it, as that was the intended purpose. I was just tying to understand "why" in a bolt gun when there are other options.
I'm not bothered by your question at all. In fact I appreciate it. Things that make you think sometimes open up other alternatives.

I enjoy a thoughtful, informational discussion. These are great ways to gain valuable information.

As far as downloading a 308 I suppose it can be done easy enough, but there's the case fill thing that can have an effect on consistency and accuracy according a few books I've read on the subject. Too little and you can get flashover, detonation and erratic powder burn. Using a 300 BLK case should help to avoid some of these possible pitfalls hopefully.

Also as mentioned, a faster twist might be beneficial to the slower moving heavier projectiles, though I have not done enough research to confirm this.

Additionally, I've already got the brass, powder, bullets and dies for loading this cartridge so that is a non issue.

Keep up the discussion. I'm all ears!

I'll more than likely be looking at a can to attach to this rifle down the road as well.

Any input on the Savage? Anyone own one in this caliber? I've been extremely pleased with the performance of my other Savage rifles, and am thereby leaning in that direction, but again would like input from other members.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top