JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been reading all I can find on the topic. I'm at the point where I'd like to narrow the field and purchase something for my LMT AR. At this point I am thinking about the following two options.

Leatherwood 1-4x24 CMR. It's available for $317.95 with a mount.

<broken link removed> . It is about $245 w/o mount.

The Leatherwood has a lot of favorable reviews online. I have read good things about the Falcon as well. I currently have the LMT iron sights on my rifle. I like the magnification that both of these scopes offer. This is my first foray into shooting with optics since childhood with my father.

I appreciate any insight, advice, experience with either scope, etc.

wayoutwest, thanks for that suggestion. Another really nice looking option.

Nwcid, the threads on here are what pointed me to the CMR in the first place. Thank you!

I guess I should also say, any suggestion on a mount for a 30mm tube would be very helpful as well.

I really appreciate the information!

This is out of your price range, but if you buy a Eotech or Aimpoint you can add a 3x magnifier to the back end. The plus is it can do more things, especially if you own a NV monocular.

A little higher than your price range but a very nice 1-4x scope is the Vortex Viper PST. Tons of features and quality and a warranty that is just as good if not better than the famous Leupold warranty

Vortex Viper PST MRAD

I read several reviews online and watched a few videos. This looks like a great option! I'd rather delay purchase so I can save a little more cash and get the right scope the first time.

This is out of your price range, but if you buy a Eotech or Aimpoint you can add a 3x magnifier to the back end. The plus is it can do more things, especially if you own a NV monocular.

My original thought was an Aimpoint micro T-1 and their 3x magnifier. The thing is the T-1 has a 4MOA dot. That's 12MOA at 3x which is a 12" dot at 100 yards. I don't like the sound of that. Especially out at 200 or 300 yards..

Vortex's lifetime, transferrable, no fault warranty can't be beat.

Thank you for pointing that out. I read their VIP warranty details on their website. No questions asked lifetime warranty with no hassles, simply send it in. This has me leaning toward this scope..

I have a friend suggesting the Nikon M-223 1-4x20 with Nikon's mount. Any first hand experience with this one?

Is there a store in the Portland (or Seattle for that matter) that has a good selection of these optics? I'd like to check them out in person. I've been all over the Portland metro area and most shops only have one of the 1-4x setups on hand.

Go look through the Viper.I tried one out at wholesale in Silverdale and it sucked BAD.Everything on the edges kind of floated around.Terrible distortion.
You would be sighting on one object and others would be moving around in the peripheral.About made me sea sick.
Now it could have been that one scope...making me think you would have to watch their quality. Yeah lifetime warranties are great,if it doesn't take away from your shooting time.
I do have a cheaper Vortex 6.5-24 that works great.So I am seeing some inconsistencies here.
I went with a 3-9 on mine.The 3X isn't that bad to adjust to at close range and you can still use both eye sighting.
(and my eyes are old)

I think saving up a little longer is a great idea. The Vortex scopes seem quite well received. I've been running the Leupold VX R Patrol for a few months now and really like it. 1.25-4x20, daylight visible reticle, mil/mil, etc. There's a pretty good review of it here. There are less expensive versions available as well which lack the exposed turrets and special purpose reticle but otherwise have the same features. For a couple hundred more bucks there are some pretty darn good low power variables available these days.

After a LOT of consideration; reading specs, reviews, forum threads, etc; and visiting every damn gun shop I could find with the models I was interested in I finally bought a scope for my AR today. Trijicon TR24R with a Bobro mount. Very happy with it thus far.

Thank you all for your info and advice.

I owned a vortex 1-4 for a while . i was impressed with it very nice glass, red dot hard to see in daylight but you could see the black dot just fine.

i sold it cause i wanted to try out the accupoint 1-4 and eventually moved up to a acog . not because of any fault of either optic in fact i considered going back to a 1-4 . only stuck with the acog due to their battle proven durability.

i also had the aimpoint flip to side set up . I really liked it as well and even though aimpoints are about bullet proof and probably the most durable optic on the market under a grand , i felt more comfortable not having to depend on batteries so moved on from there to first the vortex then to the accupoint and finally the acog.

I am somewhat of a cheapskate, but I still want decent quality. I picked up a Redfield Revolution 2-7X for my S&W Model 15 Sport. It has the Accurange reticle and provides a little extra magnification for the bench while still offering improved field of view at 2X. (better the a 3-9X, anyway).
I got it on sale at Cabela's a few weeks ago for $159.99 snd applied a $20 off coupon, so it was about $170 including sales tax and shipping. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but am looking forward to it.

Primary Arms makes some pretty cheap stuff. I normally avoid cheap optics after a few bad buys, but my friend buys stuff from them and likes them.

Vortex is also good, you can probably break their scope on purpose and they'd still cover it under warranty.

Primary Arms makes some pretty cheap stuff. I normally avoid cheap optics after a few bad buys, but my friend buys stuff from them and likes them.

Vortex is also good, you can probably break their scope on purpose and they'd still cover it under warranty.
I been running it in 3 gun. I haven't had any issues. There are tons of videos and reviews on their sights.

I been running it in 3 gun. I haven't had any issues. There are tons of videos and reviews on their sights.

I have a primary arms 4-14x44 and it kicked up a bunch of dust or flaking on the inside after a few rounds. These are all on the inside of the scope since they light up like a Christmas tree with the illuminated reticle on. But they are going to warranty it so I'll see.

H5mMigj.jpg

I am somewhat of a cheapskate, but I still want decent quality. I picked up a Redfield Revolution 2-7X for my S&W Model 15 Sport. It has the Accurange reticle and provides a little extra magnification for the bench while still offering improved field of view at 2X. (better the a 3-9X, anyway).
I got it on sale at Cabela's a few weeks ago for $159.99 snd applied a $20 off coupon, so it was about $170 including sales tax and shipping. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but am looking forward to it.

I have that exact same 2-7 scope, same reticle. Bought it in 2011. Mounted on a 30-30. Good scope for hunting. Lately, I have mounted it on my AR15. Works well there, too.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top