JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a set of Lee dies for 300 AAC and I have found that I am unable to adjust the seating die deep enough to add a taper crimp to the case. Even with the bullet seating plug unscrewed as much as possible, the bottom of the seating die will contact the shell holder before the case mouth contacts the internally tapered portion of the die.

I have a factory crimp die, and I don't plan to add an extreme crimp with either die, but I was wondering if anyone else has this problem? Or, more likely, am I missing something? Is the 300 AAC Lee die internally tapered at all?

If you bought the pacesetter 3 die set I don't believe the seating die has a crimp function, you're supposed to use the factory crimp die for the crimping operation. In the three die set they call the seating die a 'dead length seater', and in the two die set they call the die a seater/crimper.

The reviews on the Midway site show some issues. Their solution was to go with an RCBS set or modify the shell holder perhaps.

Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set 300 AAC Blackout

I don't do any rifle loading but found this interesting. I had been told NOT to use a Lee shell holder when sizing .30 carbine because of a loose fit and possibility of tearing the shell on the upstroke. That may point to a problem with Lee dies and/or shell holder.

You sure that die has taper crimp?

Cases trimmed too short?

I'd say use the FCD over any crimp in the die on a rifle round.

Thanks for the input, guys. I wonder why Lee decided to remove the crimp function from this die, all my other Lee seating dies can be set to crimp.
Even if my seating die did crimp I would not use that function. The FCD for rifle is a collet crimp and much superior to a taper or roll crimp IMOP. You can set the FCD for a very light crimp and get very consistent results.

@Dyjital

I decided to stop guessing and pulled out the instructions:p 20170129_083907.jpg

I have 6 or 7 Lee die sets and the seating dies all allow the user to apply a taper crimp. I didn't even think to check the instructions on this set but sure enough it says, in bold, "This Die Does Not Crimp".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top