JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I do not normally post pics of any of my firearms, but for this one, I will make an exception. As with all NFA projects, takes a few $$ and tons of patience. I started playing with 300 BLK last December, when I acquired a lightly used CMMG 16" bbl upper from a fellow NWFA member. Trying to time the shorty barrel purchase with BATFE response time, I delayed placing an order for a long-wait back-ordered Noveske 8" barrel. To my surprise, both high demand and Noveske's inability to keep up, BATFE delivered my Form 1 a full month earlier than MidwayUSA. But, the wait was worth it. Here you will see BEFORE and AFTER pics.

The suppressor is a YHM 308. The engraving by Bye Engraving. Can't wait to "take it for a spin". :cool:

I'd like to see a close up of the engraving, not for what it says, but to see what kind of job the engraver did.

Although humor is better spent on just about anything but the BATFE I could see someone having a really crazy trust name and therefore engraving would also be more entertaining.

I do know that you can use Birchwood Casey Aluminum black to make the engraving less 'ugly.'

I'd like to see a close up of the engraving, not for what it says, but to see what kind of job the engraver did.
No can do. :) But, trust me, the job was top notch. And they engrave on steel, too, in case any of you bend flats.

may I ask what rail you used to get the can under it.
Rails are from CMMG since I just swapped barrels. I thinks this is it:

<broken link removed>

Did you go with a trust?
I have never done a trust. Though about it, but, the Washington County Sheriff office has always been so nice about it that I never felt motivated.

Looks much better shortened! Interested to hear how it shoots.
Range Report:
I got to fire a few shots at handgun distances, so I cannot say much about accuracy. As expected, I lost a few fps with (8 v. 16). Factory Remington 115gr clocked 2050fps, my 225gr Hornady over 10.8gr of AA1860, which I have developed for my 16" bbl clocked 1035fps. My 147gr M80's cheap plinkers (18gr H110) clocked 1832fps, a bit lower than expected. Standard deviations so far look tight but the samples are too small as to make too much of a fuzz.

The hole setup is so much more balanced now. My suppressed off-hand accuracy is much better (tight clover leaf). I could never put them in one hole with the suppressed 16" bbl unless supported (again, handgun distances, ~15yds). Will report more hopefully after next weekend when I'll have the chance to try at TCGC 100 yd range.

So far, zero failures. Locks the bolt back on an empty mag every time with a can. I do not intend to shoot it w/o a can so I haven't even tried. I measured the gas port at ~ somewhere between 0.095" and 0.100", a bit more than what I expected. The CMMG bbl port is ~ 0.110".

One thing I had not noticed until I installed the barrel was it has a 1:7 twist. What a nice surprise!

Only thing I don't like so far is the feed ramps are gouging the brass (two deep cuts about 8 mm long and 4mm apart in the neck). This was never an issue with the CMMG barrel. Any thoughts?

I had Bye Engraving do the engraving on the lower receiver for my SBR project as well and their pricing is great too. I highly recommend them and will use them for any future projects that I have.

I heard about people getting their lower engraved before their ATF Form 1 comes back approved. Doesn't make sense to me. What if the ATF loses your app or paperwork, we are talking US Mail here. Then 8-9 months passes and you are on to a different project and you have a lower with your/trust name engraved in it.

I thought about that. No bid deal. You wasted ~$25 and a trip to Bye. Now you have a firearm with your name on it.

By the way, they can engrave while you wait. Just need to call in advance to make sure you won't waste your trip.

I guess. After all it is only a $250 lower. There apparently isn't anything illegal about having your name on a lower w/o assoc stamp if you don't use it as an NFA upper host. I think I'll get that done (waiting on a Form 1, sometime probably Dec/Jan).

I heard about people getting their lower engraved before their ATF Form 1 comes back approved. Doesn't make sense to me. What if the ATF loses your app or paperwork, we are talking US Mail here. Then 8-9 months passes and you are on to a different project and you have a lower with your/trust name engraved in it.

It's recomended that you get it engraved BEFORE your Form 1 is approved because it is still just a regular firearm then. After it's approved, you now have an NFA item that you likely can't just ship to most engravers.
Also, what happens if you get the Form 1 back, then send the lower to the engraver and somehow they break or damage it? Now you have a Form 1'ed pc of aluminum.

Also when you fill out your form you have to give the information of the lower that the SBR is attaching to. I understand that it's somewhat of a Catch 22 but when you send in your paperwork, that's part of the commitment. The SBR follows you and the lower that it's filed under. Whereas the suppressor follows you (can transfer between your different rifles as long as it's designed to accept that type of suppressor).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top