JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To me it's another fix to a problem that does not exist.

By being less powerful than the 9mm the solution sounds like you need to add 2 more rounds to stop your attacker but I could just be over thinking it.

The 9mm is also used by so any military's that in a SHTF it will be much easier to find than 30 super carry for dang sure. So, I will stick with the 9mm for now and maybe forever.

But I do wish them luck.

To me it's another fix to a problem that does not exist.

By being less powerful than the 9mm the solution sounds like you need to add 2 more rounds to stop your attacker but I could just be over thinking it.

The 9mm is also used by so any military's that in a SHTF it will be much easier to find than 30 super carry for dang sure. So, I will stick with the 9mm for now and maybe forever.

But I do wish them luck.
my take is they arent trying to fix a stopping power issue, they are trying to fix a [percieved] capacity issue. By making the round a tad smaller in diameter they can squeeze more in the magazine. Problem is, they didnt make enough difference. I dont think anyones gonna upgrade over 2 or even 3 rounds to get the same stopping power.

my take is they arent trying to fix a stopping power issue, they are trying to fix a [percieved] capacity issue. By making the round a tad smaller in diameter they can squeeze more in the magazine. Problem is, they didnt make enough difference. I dont think anyones gonna upgrade over 2 or even 3 rounds to get the same stopping power.
While it is being compared to the 9mm, it doesn't seem like their intended purpose is to replace it or convince people to ditch the 9mm in favor of it. If anything, I see it as having more potential to replace the true pocket-pistol calibers like 380 or 32 ACP.

As someone who carries a Bersa Thunder 380 and is fully aware of the caliber's limitations, a similar-sized package with equal or greater capacity and increased power would be quite tempting!

While it is being compared to the 9mm, it doesn't seem like their intended purpose is to replace it or convince people to ditch the 9mm in favor of it. If anything, I see it as having more potential to replace the true pocket-pistol calibers like 380 or 32 ACP.

As someone who carries a Bersa Thunder 380 and is fully aware of the caliber's limitations, a similar-sized package with equal or greater capacity and increased power would be quite tempting!
Bridging the gap between the 380 and 9mm is gonna be tough since there are already 9mm pocket pistols the same size than many 380s like the Bersa. It might convince people to upgrade from 380s but it wont convince people who own pocket 9mms. Not a very big window to market to.

I agree 2 extra rounds in a smaller caliber with less bullet expansion is not a true improvement,

The problem I see is the cartridge is the same length as a 9mm at least in the pictures, so the frame of any gun that shoots it would have to be the same size as current 9mms on the market so replacing the 380 as a pocket pistol in my mind it is not. To make the frame size smaller (thinner) the round count goes down defeating the so-called advantage of it.

So, in my mind the recoil would have to be super light compared to the 9mm to truly be and advantage in any way shape or form and it could be, I do not know.

FBI says minimum penetration is 12 inches and the 30 carry states it does 15.5 so in soft tissue it could take out the bad guy and the good guy behind them. The 9mm they state is 14.5 and it has always been an issue with this caliber from the day it was designed but it is with a bigger, heaver bullet with a lot more expansion so in theory it is able to do more damage up front with less rounds.

I am not opposed to new rounds but in my life time I have seen way too many to count that have come and gone and now folks are stuck with guns and no ammo 5 years down the road or ammo so hard to find the gun is worthless.

Like I said before I wish them luck but I see no real advantage to jump on the 30 cal band wagon.

I agree 2 extra rounds in a smaller caliber with less bullet expansion is not a true improvement,

The problem I see is the cartridge is the same length as a 9mm at least in the pictures, so the frame of any gun that shoots it would have to be the same size as current 9mms on the market so replacing the 380 as a pocket pistol in my mind it is not. To make the frame size smaller (thinner) the round count goes down defeating the so-called advantage of it.

So, in my mind the recoil would have to be super light compared to the 9mm to truly be and advantage in any way shape or form and it could be, I do not know.

FBI says minimum penetration is 12 inches and the 30 carry states it does 15.5 so in soft tissue it could take out the bad guy and the good guy behind them. The 9mm they state is 14.5 and it has always been an issue with this caliber from the day it was designed but it is with a bigger, heaver bullet with a lot more expansion so in theory it is able to do more damage up front with less rounds.

I am not opposed to new rounds but in my life time I have seen way too many to count that have come and gone and now folks are stuck with guns and no ammo 5 years down the road or ammo so hard to find the gun is worthless.

Like I said before I wish them luck but I see no real advantage to jump on the 30 cal band wagon.
The penetration stats are from a full-size pistol, not a pocket pistol, one would think shortening the barrel will lessen the velocity and thus reduce the penetration.

my bet is that this will go the same route as .357Sig and .45 Glock.

I think the real potential here is not an extra couple rounds, but the opportunity to do a pistol with same round count as a 9mm, but slimmer. a slimmed up G19 with 15 rounds of this .30SuperCool would be a cool deal.

that said, I can't see a major manufacturer tooling up for a boutique caliber like this. I'd like to be wrong, but...

Oh goodie, another caliber that will just be another out of stock myth and never a legend. :rolleyes:

I doubt it. I applaud the innovation but I dont see millions of 9mm owners switching over to gain 2 extra rounds. Federal is reaching far on this one, I think over the 100ish years now we've squeezed the most capacity we can out of a practical compact gun... the 9mm.
Maybe what someone needs to do is reinvent a .25 cal semi auto cartridge and push it to exceed 9mm energy and terminal performance with a new powder technology that doesn't kick? I dunno but the capacity would be significant enough.
Come on, 40S&W owners jumped off the cliff for 9mm. I bet they'll continue the downward spiral. 🤣

I think the real potential here is not an extra couple rounds, but the opportunity to do a pistol with same round count as a 9mm, but slimmer. a slimmed up G19 with 15 rounds of this .30SuperCool would be a cool deal.
Its called a Glock 48 with a Shield Arms 15 round 9mm mag.
Or the 43X with the same mag.

Its called a Glock 48 with a Shield Arms 15 round 9mm mag.
Or the 43X with the same mag.
yeah, that's pretty much the deal. thanks for that.

I'm just here occasionally for the pizza and beer. the last time I was current on anything firearms related was a decade ago. you know when Glock had more like six instead of more like a hundred different pistols.

honestly can't keep up with all the cool kid gear anymore.

:)

I think the 9mm is as small a cal as I would trust why would I want to go to a weaker 9? Personallty a 40 S&W is my personal choice and goes up from there.

I think the 9mm is as small a cal as I would trust why would I want to go to a weaker 9? Personallty a 40 S&W is my personal choice and goes up from there.
If the .30 had more velocity - say 1600fps+, then I might be interested, but as others have noted, the only advantage I see for the .30 is the extra 2 rounds. Given that I am willing to give up that advantage of 9x19 and use .40 instead, I don't see myself going for the .30 Super Duper Barry Carry.

Didn't we just do this years back? 9mm not good, 40 S&W so much better. Now we're back to the 9mm. 357 Sig the next better. Where is it now?
Not because the 9x19 is better though, just a bit easier to shoot, and again, more capacity.

Every time I read an article that mentions the snappy recoil of the .40, I have to wonder if it is me or my guns; I hardly notice the difference between it and the 9mm, in the same guns. Now .40 & .45, I notice the significant difference, with the same ballistics (and same guns).

Since I have 9 SIGs that shoot either 9mm or .40, and I can switch back and forth, and I have plenty ammo for both (about 10K rounds total), and they are both effective, I see no reason to adopt a third cartridge. I wouldn't mind a DA/SA hammer fired pistol with decocker, the size and weight of the SIG 365, but I don't see that happening, so I go with my 224.

Seems it could be a decent replacement for 380 in micro guns where 9 gets a wee bit snappy.

I guess we'll see. I'd be more interested in caliber conversions for it over a new pistol. If I've already got micro 9's and 380's, it'd make more sense to convert. But, with it having an OAL longer than both…that seems an impossibility for 380 and a challenge for 9.

That was my take on this too. Bad enough that they are making such a small difference but that they are trying to put out a new caliber that is so damn close to what we already have. Add to this they could not pick a worse time to do this. Ammo is still harder to find in the common calibers as is as are guns. Supply chain is far from catching up so put out new caliber and new guns?? One poster wondered what they are smoking and I have to agree. This seems like a dumb idea that they could not have picked a worse time to try to bring to market.

I think the only thing they have marketable for this is that it is designed for civilians (supposedly). Not military or police.

In my eyes, that's pretty cool.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads