JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New here, but before intro I need some opinions!

Went in to get a pistol for carry, G42 (female with severe left hand damage) was my first purch. Few days later realized I wouldn't get my concealed for a month, and decided to exchange before taking possession for something meatier to have for home defense in the interim. Went in and changed for the G27. Few days later I get a call back from the dealer WC Armory (man they're idiots, they aren't even aware of the legal reasons for a hold!) and found out I got a 30 day hold. Now with my CPL not back yet, I'm kinda pissed. They said at the end of the 30 days I may have to do this again, redo papers and redo the 10 business days, which could turn into this 30 day hold crap yet a second time!!! I know my rights, and know the laws here and there are only 3 reasons for a delay response by law. None of them remotely come close to me. Only thing I can think of, I got in a lil trouble in my early 20's, got two misdemeanor theft charges for not returning my sisters car on time. No felonies, no dv etc nothing that disqualifies me from owning.... but I was a victim of a home invasion by my x, who almost killed my new BF and kidnapped my 2yo son on the way out. So naturally I have a protection order against him, nothing against me though.

My question is, do the local LEOs actually follow the law and only 30 day hold per the law- or is there any other reasons? Backlog, maybe my exchange seemed weird to them, or could it have something to do with my 4 year protection order against my x (which is the reason I need to protect myself and my kids). Also... one thing I thought of- can the seller (WC armory) request the hold for their own reasons?!? See, I mentioned my reason for needing larger caliber protection for my home until my CPL is back and the manager's response was "I don't want to be responsible for that, don't put MY name on it" to his employee inputting the exchange into the comp? It felt very unprofessional and It made me feel like crap for having a "boogeyman", for having a particular face to my fear- I feel like I should have kept my mouth shut. I just feel like something is very wrong here and for the life of me can't figure why they have screwed me out of 700$ and a month of my life... while me and my kids remain sitting (unprotected) ducks!! Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm going crazy worrying about my rights and what is wrong!

Last Edited:
gun shop probably don't know why it's on hold and ncis don't tell them either.

but sound like you have little bit of history, so i can see that. even sometimes people with clean paper gets delayed for whatever reason.

hope it works out for you.

If you are getting delayed it's it's most likely the Federal level. The dealer should be able to tell you which it is. In this state they have to get an OK from both State and Feds for a handgun since you do not have the CPL yet. If there is some "problem" you should hear from the locals about the CPL soon. If you feel the shop is somehow screwing this up ask them about your money back. How did you pay them? If it was in cash or check, well you are going to have to deal with them best you can.

So far as I know, FFLs (dealers) are never told of the reason for a hold by law enforcement, local or federal, only if it's good to go (cleared), prohibited or on hold, TBD whether later cleared or prohibited after further checking.
And it could be something as simple as you having a common name, shared by person(s) who are prohibited. I've read that around 30% of gun transfer background check denials are mistakes.
Sorry to hear about the frustration in a potentially dangerous situation.
This is why many of us opposed complicated gun control laws.

If you're a female with hand damage you're not going to want a 27, 30 day wait or not
I was thinking this same thing. Have you shot something like you are trying to buy? If not first thing to do would be find a range with rentals. Lets you cheaply try some different pistols and see how you feel about them. FAR cheaper than buying something, then finding out it will not be a good fit for you.

I was thinking this same thing. Have you shot something like you are trying to buy? If not first thing to do would be find a range with rentals. Lets you cheaply try some different pistols and see how you feel about them. FAR cheaper than buying something, then finding out it will not be a good fit for you.
Ditto. A revolver is probably best vs. a semi-auto. I had nerve damage due to injury in my support hand for a month or so and couldn't rack the slide in my semis until it healed.

Sounds like she already paid for the Glock 380. Probably not a lot of tension on that one, but regardless, with severe support hand damage, a 38 revolver would be better. Maybe the store can accommodate a refund/exchange - but then, she wasn't asking for suggestions on firearm type either.

Go buy a shotgun, no need to wait for anything but a proceed from NICS. 20 ga is light on the shoulder.

That said, a gun dealer is under ZERO requirement to transfer a firearm if they decide not to, for any reason. They are the final arbiter of the matter, if they feel something, anything isn't quite right, they may decide not to complete the transfer. Calling a particular gun dealer out in a public forum as idiots may or may not be a good strategy, just something to consider.

Good luck OP

Go buy a shotgun, no need to wait for anything but a proceed from NICS. 20 ga is light on the shoulder.

That said, a gun dealer is under ZERO requirement to transfer a firearm if they decide not to, for any reason. They are the final arbiter of the matter, if they feel something, anything isn't quite right, they may decide not to complete the transfer. Calling a particular gun dealer out in a public forum as idiots may or may not be a good strategy, just something to consider.

Good luck OP
Agree, but consider the circumstances described - can imagine it's highly stressful.

Under better times, folks new to guns, transfers, protocols and etiquette are best off asking for help and guidance, vs. public shaming, particularly when it's they with the misunderstanding. I've never had a problem with WCA after several purchases from them. I did take issue with their fee for a private party transfer (as a regular customer) but believe they may have adjusted that to be more realistic, but it is their prerogative.

Agree, but consider the circumstances described - can imagine it's highly stressful.

Under better times, folks new to guns, transfers, protocols and etiquette are best off asking for help and guidance, vs. public shaming, particularly when it's they with the misunderstanding. I've never had a problem with WCA after several purchases from them. I did take issue with their fee for a private party transfer (as a regular customer) but believe they may have adjusted that to be more realistic, but it is their prerogative.

Agreed, it is stressful when being judged. I've experienced being denied, twice, both were unpleasant, thankfully they were resolved, on appeal in the first case, and the next day in the second. I hope I didn't come off as unsympathetic to the OP's circumstances, that wasn't my intention.

Sounds like an unfortunate predicament. I think if I had family that was in this situation I would gift them a firearm to use while they waited for the state to acknowledge and declare that they did in fact have rights.......

Sounds like an unfortunate predicament. I think if I had family that was in this situation I would gift them a firearm to use while they waited for the state to acknowledge and declare that they did in fact have rights.......

I probably would too. It's also why I have LONG tired to tell people do not wait till you "need" a gun to buy one. Sadly many don't think they do until something happens. Then they get to see how much fun all these laws, that only effect the law abiding, are to run through. Criminals of course laugh at it since they could care less.

gun shop probably don't know why it's on hold and ncis don't tell them either.

but sound like you have little bit of history, so i can see that. even sometimes people with clean paper gets delayed for whatever reason.

hope it works out for you.

Thank you for your positive and supportive words, it's reassuring to know that clean paper apps get held up sometimes too! My first gun was given to me by my father many many years ago, so this dealer+ background process IS something new to me entirely. And if I'm honest, answering my phone excited to hear a "proceed" from the dealer but instead being told I'm held made me feel embarrassed and ashamed- like I did something wrong. You are right, there is no way the dealer can know as ncis gives no reasoning with the "delayed" app response! The lack of belief in their abilities (and calling them idiots, which was poor wording and frustration) comes from the misunderstanding on why holds are placed- that stretches through most staff. But even I'm in error- there are more than 3 listed reasons for a hold. High volume of apps, and my exchange looking weird to ncis (amongst a few others) were cited as possible reasoning behind a hold, none of the below law was mentioned... that's what my comment was based on. I also have had a bad feeling in my gut about the managers comment regarding my exchange, since leaving wca that night. I was honest about needing a larger caliber and clip size, perhaps that is my fault and not theirs. As far as the hold, there are only supposed to be the following reasons behind a 30 day hold:

Per RCW 9.41.090 section 4: "(4) In any case where the chief or sheriff of the local jurisdiction has reasonable grounds based on the following circumstances: (a) Open criminal charges, (b) pending criminal proceedings, (c) pending commitment proceedings, (d) an outstanding warrant for an offense making a person ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a pistol, or (e) an arrest for an offense making a person ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a pistol, if the records of disposition have not yet been reported or entered sufficiently to determine eligibility to purchase a pistol, the local jurisdiction may hold the sale and delivery of the pistol up to thirty days in order to confirm existing records in this state or elsewhere. After thirty days, the hold will be lifted unless an extension of the thirty days is approved by a local district court or municipal court for good cause shown. A dealer shall be notified of each hold placed on the sale by local law enforcement and of any application to the court for additional hold period to confirm records or confirm the identity of the applicant."

LEO's are people like us, as much as I would looooove to believe they unwaveringly follow the rule of the law, I know that we're all imperfect humans... who's nature usually shows through, and personal opinion can overshadow the rules set forth for them to judge us by. That's my fear I suppose, Redmond Pd decides (not by the law's judgement standard, but) by opinion to deny my sale or CPL app. Bc if one gets denied wouldn't the other?

If you're a female with hand damage you're not going to want a 27, 30 day wait or not

I exchanged the 380 for the 40 bc the person I worry would break back into my home is 6 foot 3 inches and nearly 300lbs. The whopping 6 bullets it (g42) holds would barely slow him down. The gun itself feels like butter to shoot, but I needed to make sure my piece for home is effective. I do know how damned snappy the 27 is, it's going to take some serious working with, but I plan on (once this is all ironed out) getting the G43x instead of the G42 to carry on my person. I grew up on guns, my dad made sure of it...when I was 7 my first shot was out of a beautiful old cowboy revolver (a Colt 45 (long) with an ivory handle)! Honestly, last big boy I've tried controlling with both hands was a pistol grip 12G pump action shot gun, and it flew out of my hands. My right hand could not compensate enough to make up for the only 30% function I have in my Left. My index and thumb have all the regular motion, strength and function, I haven't found a slide that's been too tough yet. But then again, barely awake, heart pounding, fear and adrenaline may change that in the moment I need it most.

Thank you all for talking to me about this, Im lucky to have the ears and minds to pass this through!

Also, I started with Glock for their reliability and have definite plans for expanding my collection beyond just their offerings if allowed. I do appreciate the honestly, and definitely would listen to suggestions!

I exchanged the 380 for the 40 bc the person I worry would break back into my home is 6 foot 3 inches and nearly 300lbs.

For your house gun -
Shotgun: 20 gauge - much less kick than the 12 and still very effective. Get a stock that fits you. range. There are semi-auto shotguns. Or, even a 2 barrel (side by side/over under)

Alternate, Carbine. MSR is a nice choice, but it scares the native Washingtonians.

And, please practice with what ever setup you go with. As you have reason to fear that bad things will happen, you have to know, that you need muscle memory.

Just a thought
Something like this on a carbine or shotgun would let you run your left hand in and you would not need as much grip strength.
ttp%3A%2F%2Fshockwavetechnologies.com%2Fsite%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F12%2Fstrap-in-place.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top