JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is the one I usually buy and prefer taste wise. I think the macros are pretty similar to the SPAM brand product. $1.98 right now.
Pretty much. SPAM has more fats, which is good in long term storage foods, but it's marginal. I've tried that brand but didn't care for the taste or texture. Too much like baby food meat sticks/vienna sausage for my taste.

Storing what tastes best to you is an important factor and plays a big part in the mental aspect of a survival scenario.

My thoughts on meat during a grid down situation is that it might be less necessary than in normal times. Protein uses up between 20 and 30% of the calories consumed to digest and process it. That makes it a great weightloss food. In a survival situation most people will be more concerned with conserving energy and concentrated carbs and fat will be more useful for that. You will need some protein but it is unlikely that you will be prepping for bodybuilding show during survival situation (not impossible though):

1665229315358.png

Now that the coffee is kicking in... I'm going to backtrack my last post.

I remember it was the other one... treet... that stunk like dogfood, tasted off and the consistency of vienna sausage. Walmart brand tasted very similar and about the same texture to spam. The noticeable, to me, was it seemed to have more water content and shrinkage when cooked.

It's right that protien intake requirements are really just a fraction of what most folks eat. Spam though also has the highest fat content so maybe that's why I had it in my brain as my preferred choice. And... it DOES cook up real purdy. 🤣

Typically I don't stock it too deep though. Normal prices are outrageous for what you get and canning your own meat is still the far winner. It's just not as shelf stable.

Last Edited:
I think you are missing the boat by not home caning. But whatever, other long term food preparation and storage you might consider is jerky for meat and drying/dehydrating fruit and vegetables then vacuum packing both the jerky and dried goods.

I think you are missing the boat by not home caning.
đź–•This. There really is no substitue no matter how you slice it. Cost, quality, nutrition.. and even simply elevating eating enjoyment.

The down side is shelf life, and that's where supplementing with commercially canned and similar comes in... beyond the 1-3yrs typical for self canned goods.

I think you are missing the boat by not home caning. But whatever, other long term food preparation and storage you might consider is jerky for meat and drying/dehydrating fruit and vegetables then vacuum packing both the jerky and dried goods.
Besides the cost, jerky is a great option if you rotate it. I do buy it when I find a really good deal on it but that isn't often enough to keep it in a normal rotation. I wish we had more space and that I enjoyed food prep more, canning, drying, etc. Fact is, I don't have the space and I don't enjoy it. I understand I will pay more to buy the commerically prepared items but if I shop well the premium shouldn't be too much over the cost of doing it myself. Same goes for gardening. We basically live in an apartment with a mortgage. No yard, small deck, no extra space inside. My wife is going to seriously roll her eyes tomorrow when I pick up about 7500 (44 and 38cal) projectiles from a fellow NWFA member. Hopefully the trip to IKEA beforehand will put her in a good mood.

Well, how about this, you don't have to have a garden to have fresh fruits and vegetables. Right now it is harvest season and there are farm stands everywhere. Last week my wife stopped at one on her way home from work and bought us a couple of ears of Bodacious Sweet Corn to go with our Ribeyes and Granny Smith apples to make a pie with. How can anyone not like to eat like that?

Fact is, I don't have the space and I don't enjoy it. I understand I will pay more to buy the commerically prepared items but if I shop well the premium shouldn't be too much over the cost of doing it myself.
You gotta do what works for you. The best of plans are moot if you aren't going to stay consistent and follow through... right!

No judgement and making small adjustments as you go can have suprising results. Like... saving money by doing your own meat processing... or... even gardening some "smalls" can be rewarding. Indoor herb, flower pot potatoes, tomatoes, maybe a zuchini just outside the back door. Meaning pick one or two, not do them all. "Gardening" doesn't have to mean "enough to suit all your needs or none".

Incorpoating small changes over time, keeping what you like, stop what you don't.... it's all progress toward self sufficiency.

You gotta do what works for you. The best of plans are moot if you aren't going to stay consistent and follow through... right!

No judgement and making small adjustments as you go can have suprising results. Like... saving money by doing your own meat processing... or... even gardening some "smalls" can be rewarding. Indoor herb, flower pot potatoes, tomatoes, maybe a zuchini just outside the back door. Meaning pick one or two, not do them all. "Gardening" doesn't have to mean "enough to suit all your needs or none".

Incorpoating small changes over time, keeping what you like, stop what you don't.... it's all progress toward self sufficiency.
Consistency is a skill I definitely need to work on:)

đź–•This. There really is no substitue no matter how you slice it. Cost, quality, nutrition.. and even simply elevating eating enjoyment.

The down side is shelf life, and that's where supplementing with commercially canned and similar comes in... beyond the 1-3yrs typical for self canned goods.
We do our canning based on a yearly rotation.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top