JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I've been doing a lot of shooting with a new-to-me M1 Carbine the last few weekends. Loads were all over the board; cheapo stuff, quality stuff, hunting loads, and imported from at least two other countries (Korea and México). So far nary a hiccup, accurate enough, and just plain fun to shoot various targets with said. I've ordered some more Korean fodder for blasting away. (My better half and I have been doing the "ships passing in the night thing" due to some family and life stuff, some serious, so she hasn't shot it yet, but she likes the M1 Carbines in general.) In other words, it is a keeper.

The cheapest available for plinking is obvious, but what would your recommendations be for:

1. Close range varmint removal.
  2. Home defense, preparedness, etc., as in two-legged interlopers.
Thanks for any recommendations. :s0155:

There used to be a 110 hollow point loading from Remington and PMC , that worked well with the Carbines that I owned.
Not sure if they are made any longer....
Andy

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to search on that. With the big grab bag of .30 Carbine ammo I, evidently, socked away from years ago it was a mix of ball and soft point, but no hollow point I recall.

110 grain Speer 'Varminter' bullets are excellent in .30-30 and would probably do well in .30 Carbine however they are component bullets and would require reloading.
Thanks; interesting offering. Though I don't reload and almost certainly never will.

I got this at Cabella's before the Covid/ammo hoarding craze hit. It works good for all your requested tasks. I reload using Sierra's SP bullets that look identical to these. I only use jacketed round nose for range fun. If you can find some of the PPU, let us know. Cheers.

PPU.jpg

I would look for the hornady 110 ftx loading for the hd role and any of the 110 sp loads for general pest eradication. The 30 carbine intrigues me and I just may have to pick one up at some point.

Thanks all; much appreciated. There was definitely some PPU soft point and a little of the Hornady Critical Defense in the miscellaneous grab bag I burned up,* so I know those will run in this carbine. (For that matter, I have yet to have a single malfunction on anything I've stuffed into this little sporterized carbine.) So maybe those, respectively, for varmints and defense. (And, naturally, el cheapo surplus stuff for plinking and practice.)

* We had an Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine a while back, but it was one of the biggest piles of garbage I've ever had the misfortune to shoot. Hence the diversity of ammo left over. One of the few times I'm glad I hung on to something I'd normally dump. But, I digress.

110gr rnsp is what works great thru the carbine. Handloaded over ww296, has helped with coyotes, skunks, and other critters. I have no doubt on its effectiveness...

CorBon, and later Double Tap, had 100 gr solid copper HP rounds in .30 Carb that performed well in gelatin tests. They were accurate in my carbine, but production stopped and never restarted. The Hornady FTX seems to hit about same POI in my carbine and is my current choice for non-plinking use. Probably be easiest to get Buffalo Bore, in present circumstances.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top