JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
UPDATE: 07/24. Looks to be a headspace issue, I gauged it today and it failed the NO GO gauge. Surprise to me headspace was the cause. The barrel had been replaced with a new one before I bought it and was told it shoots fine. The Carbine performed well with no failures for the first 100 plus rounds until I thought I had some bad ammo. Guess the nny ammo was good from the beginning.
—————————————————————————————————————————————————

Went shooting and had a couple malfunctions. Thought the problem was with the magazine until the second malfunction happened and I found a primer sitting on top of the rounds in the loaded mag. Head stamp is nny .30 Carb and is early Prvi Partizan of Serbia.

I
found two cracked casings when I picked up my brass. I bought a few of these rounds from a member here a couple years ago and read that nny should be safe to shoot. I am glad I only have a few left!

FD16C208-F22C-43A1-B2EA-DB41AC9D370B.jpeg

Last Edited:
FWIW, what you're seeing as "nny" are actually Cyrillic letters for PPU (abbreviation for the company's name), since it's a Serbian company.

I have lots of cases with that head stamp in a variety of mixed brass for various calibers, and it doesn't mean it's old.

What rifle/pistol were they fired in? .30 M1 Carbines that were assembled from mil-surp parts, such as Universal Carbines, may have headspace problems.

USGI Saginaw, the barrel was replaced with a new one before I got it. I fired a couple hundred rounds of other ammo brands since purchasing it last year with no issues. Another member recommended checking headspace via private conversation. Good advice! I'll do that before I shoot it again, just in case.

USGI Saginaw, the barrel was replaced with a new one before I got it. I fired a couple hundred rounds of other ammo brands since purchasing it last year with no issues. Another member recommended checking headspace via private conversation. Good advice! I'll do that before I shoot it again, just in case.
You could also check the price of a no-go gauge and check it yourself.

Makes complete sense to me based on the looks of that brass. Who swapped out the barrel? I'd be having a "talk" with them...

Unknown - the barrel was swapped out by the previous owner of the person I bought it from. I am going to run it over to Copelands and have Tim check it out for me and get it corrected.

I read that nny and PPU are Yugoslavian...FWIW
Headstamp Codes - International Ammunition Association I've been runnung PPU in a garand and a Swedish Mauser with no issues. I've always read that PPU is a good brass for loading too.
Yugoslavia was created after WWI by the allies by combining five separate countries, Serbia being one of them. Serbia and Croatia are where the arms and munitions were manufactured before the split of the Balkans and continue to manufacture today. Documents detailing Yugoslavian manufacture would be correct for ammunition manufactured prior to 1992. After that year, Serbia would be correct.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top