JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This may seem like dumb question but until recently I haven't loaded much but 270,308 and 223. My question is this. I just bought a 30-06. I was given about 800 Hornady .30 cal.150 GR SP Interlock. It also says .308. I thought .30 cal was .30 cal. Can I load these into my 30-06?

I know it's kinda odd the way cartridges and whatnot are named, but here's kinda've a basic primer on it:

cartridges, generally (from 1890-1950) were all classified by their bore diameter. So if it has a .30" on it, it's a .300 bore diameter. However, bullets are sized so they will both fit in the bore, but are larger so they will engage the grooves of the rifling. Typically, this is about a .004" addition to the radius, but this dimension is also dependent on bore diameter.

This is true for .30-30, .30-06, .30-40 krag etc.

An interesting side note, the .303 british, and many other rifles that were made outside the US use a .303 diameter bore, and use a .311" diameter bullet, thus, they maintain that .004" groove dimension.

In later nomenclature, bullet diameter became a more standard identifier for the cartridge, thus .308 winchester, and .223 remington. However, the military names of 7.62x51 and 5.56x45 were based on bore diameter. To make it more confusing, some manufacturers have chosen to use still other naming schemas, an interesting example is lazzeroni, which makes cartridges such as the 7.82 warbird, which uses a .308" bullet.

If you arn't confused enough already, generally speaking most reloader bullets you find will say both the caliber and the bullet diameter, I think hornady does this, as well as sierra and barnes. They will typically say ".30 caliber" and then give the bullet diameter of .308". There are also ".303 caliber" which will then give a bullet dimension of .311 or .310. These bullets are not safe to load in .30 caliber at full pressure and should be avoided as injury and damage to the firearm may result.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top