JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am messing around with a 308win. Haven't reloaded for it yet. But I was thinking about trying 125 Nosler BT. I am kinda looking for speed. 3k fps or so.

Has anyone used them before? or other companies 125gn bullets or lighter in 30 cal?

I also found some 110gn bullets in my dads old stash. Those might be fun! I almost thought they where pistol bullets.

Anyways. Let me hear your thoughts.
Two years ago I got an Oregon antelope using a .308 with 125 gr Nosler. Almost too much for the antelope. They go down quick and easy. I've also used the same round on Eastern Oregon deer and it works beautiful. I'm a speed guy and the bullet needs to open quickly on thin skinned game. Less recoil with the lighter round helps to make the more difficult shots.

Handloading and a 24" barrel will easily get you past 3000fps with 308 150 grainers.
If your running a 26" tube 3100 is doable.

I couldn't fathom why anyone would carry a 26 inch barreled rifle that wasn't:

A: chambered in something with at least 65 grains of powder capacity. Preferably 70+

B: possibly a single-shot where more barrel just happens because of there being hardly any action length.

I am messing around with a 308win. Haven't reloaded for it yet. But I was thinking about trying 125 Nosler BT. I am kinda looking for speed. 3k fps or so.

Has anyone used them before? or other companies 125gn bullets or lighter in 30 cal?

I also found some 110gn bullets in my dads old stash. Those might be fun! I almost thought they where pistol bullets.

Anyways. Let me hear your thoughts.
Going that light, youre going to want to use a mono metal. A cup and core is going to fragment too much at high speeds (which you say you want to run). Id be looking at the 130 ttsx. Cup and cores work good, but you have to pay attention to velocities.

Last Edited:
I couldn't fathom why anyone would carry a 26 inch barreled rifle that wasn't:

A: chambered in something with at least 65 grains of powder capacity. Preferably 70+

B: possibly a single-shot where more barrel just happens because of there being hardly any action length.
Me either buddy. Id be running a lightweight 22" tubed featherweight or superlite, since the topic deals with hunting rifles.

While velocity may be great... you will add to your barrel burnout in the .308. Normal loads will allow the throat to last a long time.

168gr GameKings by Sierra shoot the same (well, almost) as the 168gr MatchKings. I can shoot one hole groups with that load.

I loaded some 110's and couldn't get them to pattern for anything. YMMV.

I agree. My 1 and only 308 winchester likes 165's and 168's. 1 hole groups are the norm.

I could only dream of being as good as stomper, hitting "fist sized" targets at 1000 yards.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top