JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am messing around with a 308win. Haven't reloaded for it yet. But I was thinking about trying 125 Nosler BT. I am kinda looking for speed. 3k fps or so.

Has anyone used them before? or other companies 125gn bullets or lighter in 30 cal?

I also found some 110gn bullets in my dads old stash. Those might be fun! I almost thought they where pistol bullets.

Anyways. Let me hear your thoughts.

Last Edited:
110gr are usually for 30 Carbine loading, but they can work great for a varmit 308 load.

Are you looking to hunt (and hunting what?) with these or distance shooting or something else? Velocity helps but bullet weight makes a difference as well. Depend on the app.

With the 125gn I'd be looking at hunting deer. Out to maybe 350 to 450 yards. I know a 150gn bullet will do it too but I was just wanting to do something fun.

As for the 110gn I'd probably just shoot paper for range fun and sometimes to shoot with.

This 175-gr load can produce shot groups that are touching. 1:11 twist rate from a 20" barrel and they zip along at about 2850fps.

Also have hit fist-sized targets at 1000yds with this loading.

E30C205F-C6FA-40E1-9A63-B283E264C969.jpeg

While velocity may be great... you will add to your barrel burnout in the .308. Normal loads will allow the throat to last a long time.

168gr GameKings by Sierra shoot the same (well, almost) as the 168gr MatchKings. I can shoot one hole groups with that load.

I loaded some 110's and couldn't get them to pattern for anything. YMMV.

I've used the 125gr NBT as a reduced recoil load for a friend's wife. I didn't push it to 3000, but it performed well at 2800. I'd just make sure to wait for a broadside shot to avoid any big bones.

If full steam ahead/all shot angles are the goal, the 130gr Barnes TTSX is a wicked bullet. Very little shed weight, speeds over 3000. I was getting 3050fps with H4895.

And that was in a 20 inch barreled Remington Model 7.

I know some people have several rifles in 308. I only have one. It is a Savage model 12. It is designed to be a target rifle. Otherwise it has all the same features as other 308 rifles.
I have yet to find the right load for this rifle. I have tried Berger, Nosler, Barns and Hornaday brands.
I have not found that loading ammo to maximum helps with accuracy. Something in the low 2800 FPS seems to work fairly well, shooting bullets in the 150 to 168 grain weight.

I know some people have several rifles in 308. I only have one. It is a Savage model 12. It is designed to be a target rifle. Otherwise it has all the same features as other 308 rifles.
I have yet to find the right load for this rifle. I have tried Berger, Nosler, Barns and Hornaday brands.
I have not found that loading ammo to maximum helps with accuracy. Something in the low 2800 FPS seems to work fairly well, shooting bullets in the 150 to 168 grain weight.

What's the twist on that rifle?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads