JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I ordered some Barnes TSX 150g flat nose monolithics but the only powder I have on hand that I can find 30-30 load data for is Accurate 2520 but Lees book shows this for a 150gr copper jacket bullet....

Is it safe to use load data for a different type of bullet but same weight?

And if not, what kind of powder do you recommend for loading the 30-30 with the Barnes 150gr TSX flat nose?

So I ordered some Barnes TSX 150g flat nose monolithics but the only powder I have on hand that I can find 30-30 load data for is Accurate 2520 but Lees book shows this for a 150gr copper jacket bullet....

Is it safe to use load data for a different type of bullet but same weight?

And if not, what kind of powder do you recommend for loading the 30-30 with the Barnes 150gr TSX flat nose?
My feeling is yes I would use starting data for all copper bullet or fmj of same weight. I would think that an all copper bullet might obturate less than a fmj bullet. That may equal less pressure for a given powder load? Did you check hodgdons website for data. I have sierra load data for 150gr fmj if you want it?

2520 is in the same speed range as Varget, 4166 and PP2000-MR.
I would take the Lee data, drop 10% from the lowest charge and start there. Lemme guess, your TSX is only a box of 50. That kinda sucks for working up loads. Are you shooting a 336 or '94?
I use PP2000 and Leverevolution.

My feeling is yes I would use starting data for all copper bullet or fmj of same weight. I would think that an all copper bullet might obturate less than a fmj bullet. That may equal less pressure for a given powder load? Did you check hodgdons website for data. I have sierra load data for 150gr fmj if you want it?

2520 is in the same speed range as Varget, 4166 and PP2000-MR.
I would take the Lee data, drop 10% from the lowest charge and start there. Lemme guess, your TSX is only a box of 50. That kinda sucks for working up loads. Are you shooting a 336 or '94?
I use PP2000 and Leverevolution.
I ordered 2 boxes of the TSX but I think I will go back and order 2 more, sucks to pay dbl shipping here but I wasnt thinking at that moment that nowadays they can sell out and not be available for for a few years. I figured Id go thru a box developing a load recipe after that I just want a supply. Im shooting a 336 and with my other bolt rifle held up in gunsmith limbo Im realizing now it probably wont be ready for fall hunting and will be hunting everything with my 336 this year.
Anyways.....

Im still scouring the web this morning for powder recommended by Barnes and low and behold Midsouth has Hodgdon Leverrevolution. This is a game changer to decide now to save my money and mess with the 2520 with no load data or use the powder with the best velocitys on Barnes load data...
I think I need to get the Leverrevolution powder while I can and be done with it.

LeverEvolution is my first choice for 30-30, it also worked surprisingly well in .223 using CFE-223 starting data and working up.
If you want to try your Accurate 2520, here is data from Hodgdon's website for the 150 gr Sierra bullet for Accurate 2460 (which Barnes does list for their bullet) and Accurate 2520, so you can compare the charges for the Barnes bullet to the Sierra bullet data. The 2520 should work okay, and being on the slower burn rate for 30-30, you should be able to work up carefully and find a decent load. (It won't beat LeverEvolution, IMO).
Sorry, my cut and paste didn't go to the specific 30-30 150 gr data for the two powders, but you can input the parameters for yourself and see the comparison.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top