JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im sure he will!

I started with 12 grains of Unique with the 100 grain 'Plinkers' and backed off to 10 with the 110s. Seemed to improve accuracy a bit and shot 'smoother'.

Recently (due to a lack of 100s or the 110s) I tried some 135 gr cast lead bullets and they were a bit of challenge at first to find an accurate load and I finally settled on 8 grains of Unique as any more started showing a bit of leading in the barrel.

It is also necessary to flare the case mouths when loading these and I made my own case flaring die for this purpose.

No "filler" (dacron, cornmeal, etc.), right? (That practice scares me a bit from things I've read, but no experience with it.)
Also, any "tilting" of the rifle with the chambered round to get the powder on top of the primer?

Unique is very position INsensitive in general and if you look at the size of a .30-30 case it is in effect not that much bigger than a .357 mag case below the shoulder.

10 grains of Unique actually fills it fairly well and in all the info I have read over the years about using Unique the only mention of fillers has been either it is NOT necessary or recommended.

Heck I have read a lot about some using .31 caliber ML balls with like 3.5 grains of Bullseye with no filler and getting incredible accuracy.

No "filler" (dacron, cornmeal, etc.), right? (That practice scares me a bit from things I've read, but no experience with it.)
Also, any "tilting" of the rifle with the chambered round to get the powder on top of the primer?
Thanks for asking the question I'd thought of later. I was thinking exactly of that, pointing the muzzle to the sky when working the action, but that's a bad habit to start, then try to break. He already shoots a lever action, and does well, so the transition should be as seamless as possible.
I'm also of the opinion that fillers could cause more trouble than they're worth.
Thanks again, @RVTECH . I really appreciate the insight.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top