JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello just tryin to learn a little more about my weapon, and some advice on the pistol that i want to buy. I have a winchester model 94 30-30 top ejection, what kind of distance do i have with this rifle? And when i take it blackbear hunting im i gonna be ok?

The pistol i am goin to buy is the new ruger 357 blackhawk single action, or some thing by smith and wesson.

Please throw your advice to help a vet get a good sidearm cowboy style

I have a model 94. The 30-30 round is limited by its shape. The round point creates a lot of drag. I would mark its usefulness out to 200 meters. The drag causes the bullet to yaw much earlier than a ballistic tip round.
That distance is my opinion, others may vary.
I've also seen longer range from the hornady leverevolution round, which has a pliable ballistic tip allowing it to be used in tube fed guns, but giving it the characteristics of a ballistic tip round.
You should be fine for black bear, personally I'd run the heavier loads, Like 170 grain, in it.

I have a model 94. The 30-30 round is limited by its shape. The round point creates a lot of drag. I would mark its usefulness out to 200 meters. The drag causes the bullet to yaw much earlier than a ballistic tip round.
That distance is my opinion, others may vary.
I've also seen longer range from the hornady leverevolution round, which has a pliable ballistic tip allowing it to be used in tube fed guns, but giving it the characteristics of a ballistic tip round.
You should be fine for black bear, personally I'd run the heavier loads, Like 170 grain, in it.

Thank u sir and that sounds good for the trask then. If u dont mind me askin is yours a pre 64? And if so how can i tell if mine is

Serial Number Data

Check your serial number against the list here.
There are several characteristics that will tell you also, but you'll have to look them up.

Mine is not a pre-64, nor was the one I used to have. I personally don't think it matters unless you're a collector. I could shoot the nuts off a gnat with both of them.

Serial Number Data

Check your serial number against the list here.
There are several characteristics that will tell you also, but you'll have to look them up.

Mine is not a pre-64, nor was the one I used to have. I personally don't think it matters unless you're a collector. I could shoot the nuts off a gnat with both of them.

Agreed. The only thing I've ever heard is that there was a period of time after '64 when some of them were crummy. If the follower is silver-colored, that's good. If it's not, that's bad. Purely anectdotal with absolutely no science to back it up.

The ruger is a great single action. For a Smith I would go with a 45 Single Action Army.
Personally I would buy a matching rifle. 44 or 45 colt and then you only need one cartrige,

As to a 30-30 being up to the task of a Black Bear. Sure they have killed many Black bears. Your going to want to be under 100 yards and make sure of your shot placement.

But since the hunter success on Black bear in Oregon is terrible since dog hunting ended. The chances of seeing one are pretty slim so it should be just fine to carry around with you.

.30-30 will and has killed just about everything in north america.. yes it has it's range limitations, and most deer killed with it are within 150, and at 200 it has dropped 8 inches. if you can place your round the .30-30 will kill a black bear just fine. It's the same bullet size and weight as the .308 and .30-06, just less velocity. No one ever says "oh dont shoot an elk at 320 yds with a .30-06 because it wont kill him"- yet the .30-30 at woods ranges is the same size bullet and same velocity as the .30-06 at longer ranges.. as to the .357 you cant really go wrong with a .357 wheelgun from ruger or smith..

Thanks everybody for the serial number stuff thats awesome. Also i bought
Ruger’s New Vaquero Single Action Revolver in 357, i shot it yesterday it was beautiful love this pistol. The weight is nice and she is decently loud. I have been trying to up load pics but iphone doesnt want to. Why i invest in firearms before cell phones. Lol simper fi

Im also lookin for some new white grips for my pistol that way i can change it up. If any one know where to get some i would love the info.
Thank u

If you're going to hunt the forest around Yamhill you will kill anything you want with that 30-30 as long as you don't try to stretch it out too far. Deer? Couple hundred yards, if you can hit with it. Bear and Elk, a bit less distance. The 30-30 will do it's part as long as you do yours.

I have a 50th Anniversary 357 Blackhawk Flattop. It's built on a frame size very similar to the original. It's one of my favorite guns. Some of the New Vaqueros have the smaller frame, too. But if I was going to buy a gun the size and weight of the regular New Model 357 Blackhawk, I'd opt for one in a larger caliber. I speak from personal experience, having owned all of them.

My normal outdoors packin .357 is a S&W 4" 686+ seven shot revolver. I seriously considered a stainless GP100, too, but went with the Smith. You would do well with either.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top