JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't imagine you will gain much for the time involved and investment of a reamer and new dies. A lot of 'improved' cartridges really don't show that much improvement. Leave your 94s as they are.

Last Edited:
Depending an barrel length you can expect +/- 200 fps over standard 30-30, your 94's will still be able to shoot standard 30-30 ammo with accuracy close to what you got before the conversion, and it has a medium to high CDI factor. I say go for it. :)

I own a 94 with a Williams rear peep sight and I suppose I enjoy it. But the design doesn't lend itself well to scopes (and you didn't say you had a 94AE). If you're interested in the Ackley Improved it seems that a scope would be a good choice--otherwise, what are you gaining?

So my point is that maybe you should pick up a JM marked Marlin 336 and do the conversion to that.

Just a thought...

Want to give your old Winchester just a little more power, the AI will do it. It feeds thru the action just fine. With the newer Hornady FTX bullets I've seen a nice 200-300fps increase.

I think, as long as you shoot copper jacketed bullets.
If you're intending to only shoot cast, the AI conversion would be pointless.

Not necessarily. While an Ackley conversion is usually recognized for speed, it can also be done to make the rifle more capable of pushing a heavier bullet at normal velocities. Since a tube fed gun is still pretty much limited in bullet design to blunt nose bullets, there's no reason to see if a 200gr cast bullet wouldn't be able to match (or better) the 170gr's velocity of 2200fps. Doing so would surely increase the energy levels of that ol' 30-30, possibly matching the 35 Remington with a slightly flatter shooting bullet (like that matters here!).
While I've not played with a 30-30 version, the rifle I shoot and hunt with is a 30-06AI and there's one thing I've learned in my dealings with this conversion that flies in the face of common knowledge. This gun is not 100% reliable with standard 30-06 ammunition. Ackley designed the chamber to slightly crush the case at the shoulder/neck junction. This doesn't support the case well and the firing pin strike can push the case forward enough that the primer doesn't ignite. (Not a weak primer strike, either. You outta see the dents!) Feed it with formed cases, though, and it's perfect.
Another aspect, if the 30-30 conversion is like the 30-06, the barrel has to be pulled and cut back one thread to be able to have that "crush" needed to (hopefully) support the case during fireforming. @Velzey , feel free to chime in here.

Don't think I'd do it to an older Winchester OR Marlin because of value loss, but I love my 30-06AI.

I certainly would not do it with a pre 64 model 94 or with a barrel shorter than 20". From my research it seems the claimed 200-300 fps gains are only realistic from The longer tubes. If you have a newer production 94 with a longer barrel and want to spend the money, I say go for it. I am generally an ackley fan but some calibers make more sense than others. I love my Kimber in 280 ai.

I have spent a little time around the 30-30 and the 38-55 cartridges. I have never been impressed with the strength of the cases to me they have always seemed kind of weak. I have reloaded for the 8mm-06 AI, 35 Whelen Improved and the 30-06AI. The 30-06 case is a much stronger, I don't think I would hot rod the 30-30 case. There is one benefit of the 30-30AI and that is a more pronounced shoulder which to me would aid in the reloading process.

Man, you guys have me torn.
Both of my 94's are pre '64 with 20" barrels.
Wasn't necessarily after more speed, but longer case life, the ability to lob heavier bullets, and I like the idea of less bolt/action stress.

I guess another question would be, is it worth buying the reamer and doing it myself, or just finding a 'Smith that has the reamer, and just having them do it. I'm a machinist by trade, so I'm no stranger to reamers, however, I hate having one time use tools around collecting dust.

Last Edited:
I will not be doing this anytime soon. My 300 savage 99 or a 308 will meet this need nicely without messing up my grand fathers 94.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top