JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's not at all what I've found.
When Bob Jourdan researched Ackley's work he found that Ackley judged the 30-30WCF to be the 5th best round for improvement.
Using 150grn bullets, he went from 2390fps on the standard, to 2700fps on the improved version.
That's a 12.9% improvement, and would be considered significant by any standard.
That puts the .30-30 into .300 Savage (Hornady SST) territory.

I'd sure do it if I had the gun and the coin to play.
...but what did it do for accuracy?
RVTECH makes a good point.
Speed, while very cool, is not an end all.
If it causes the accuracy to go away, how beneficial is the increased speed?
Sure a .17 Remington with a hot handload will win a drag race with just about any other commercially available cartridge currently in production, but if the 5 shot 100 yard group is 12", isn't all you're doing is shooting out your barrel faster?
If it were me, I'd look more into changing the bullet in the .30-30 and seeing if that doesn't improve downrange energy and accuracy (not to mention increasing the effective range of the cartridge)....like maybe 150 gr. Sierra Gamekings?

Dean

Last Edited:
If/when you read Ackley's writings, you find he was not about increasing pressure. His work expanding case capacities was about just making/allowing the cartridge case hold more powder.
Not to increase pressures.
When properly done, an Ackley'd version of the original cartridge provides longer case life by removing taper, which causes/allows stretching during the resizing process, provide greater capacity to improve velocities, and may even result in a cleaner burning cartridge, by concentrating the burn beneath the neck.

Properly done, a 30-30 Ackley will not produce any "hot" loads. AT least not marginally "hotter" than a normal 30-30/.30WCF.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top