JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone.
I have a Savage 340 bolt-action in 30-30, and was thinking it'd be nice to optimize it a little.

I figure if I opened it up to 30-30 AI and used some better 30 cal bullets, it'd really shine.
I'm also thinking that it being a bolt action, it could handle some decently stout loads.

Anyone have any experience with 30-30 AI...?
Any thoughts...?
Thanks for any input you can provide.
-K

I had an old Savage and thought similar things. But the reality is you are trying to do something the relatively weak case won't support well. If you want to optimize the 30-30, put pointed bullets in it and load to factory specs.
The sad part is, you may have a very nice rifle, but they aren't worth too much. If you want to change it (like a different barrel) you'll never, ever get your money back. Also, it's not a real strong action...
If you want more power, buy a different gun.

I don't really understand the point of the original post. Optimize in what way? The .30-30 cartridge as loaded in the Winchester model 94 and imitations is still the #1 deer getter, Australian short range benchrest shooters still sigh and get more gooey over the cartridge than they do Olivia Newton-John. What's to optimize? And add a note to heaven or hell addressed to Mr. Ackley--f*cking with a good thing does not necessarily or even often make it better..........as we have seen in the AI cartridges.....just a personal axe I grind from time to time......

But seriously--in a bolt gun you have the opportunity to try out many loads using many match--if you are punching paper, bullets or premium hunting bullets of various types and weights. I would think that if you'd pick out some high quality bullets suited to the twist rate of your barrel and do a little load development to find the right powder and seating depth--and your skills are up to snuff and you shoot over wind flags--you'd be very very surprised at what this very very under-rated cartridge can do.

I am not really a very good shot with iron sights anymore as I can't see squat and I'm shaky as can be and just generally old and decrepit----but-----I have model 94 that I can shoot groups with -- at 200 yards--- that makes me wonder who else was shooting my target--but no one else was on the range------and here I spent all that $$$$$$$$$$ on a 30BR....

Last Edited:
It is an iron-sight gun, so some nice sights would help.
I'm just a customizing junkie, so seeing as how it's in my collection... I need to customize it...! ;)
I figured a little extra case capacity couldn't hurt, and I am a big fan of what Ackley contributed to the culture of cartridge design.

I know the gun isn't worth much, and I'm not expecting big gains, I just want to trick it out. ;)

It is an iron-sight gun, so some nice sights would help.
I'm just a customizing junkie, so seeing as how it's in my collection... I need to customize it...! ;)
I figured a little extra case capacity couldn't hurt, and I am a big fan of what Ackley contributed to the culture of cartridge design.

I know the gun isn't worth much, and I'm not expecting big gains, I just want to trick it out. ;)

DOOOO IT!! Why not? The 30-30 has more room for improvement than about any other metallic cartridge known to man.

Please share your thoughts on how I can improve upon it.
I'm hoping for more knowledge, as I can't find much info on it, let alone out of a bolt action....

Please share your thoughts on how I can improve upon it.
I'm hoping for more knowledge, as I can't find much info on it, let alone out of a bolt action....

While the 30-30 leaves lots to be desired, It seems the AI version only adds small gains and the rifle mentioned for the upgrade sounds like a pretty weak design. I was thinking these came in a 308 in that case one could do a 30-30 AI safely IMO. The barrel twist is also to consider, Even if you could load longer sleek bullets to get some distance you probably could never stabilize the bullet. I think I would try the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo and see if that would suit your needs.

This might be one to leave alone as others have suggested.

Do IT!!!! You will love it...don't listen to the nay say of the others, they never had one. I like being different. I did it to a 14" T/ C Contender velocity with a 150 gr. Honaday SP is 2350 fps! This was verified over a chrono 15' feet from muzzle. BTW...I also had a 15" 308 Win in an Encore velocity with the same bullet was 2450 fps. 100 fps was not worth extra powder and a heavier gun.

If you want to optimize the 30-30, put pointed bullets in it and load to factory specs.
Yep - I have a bunch of 150 gr SP bullets to use up so I did exactly this. The reloads turn a lever action into a single shot but the improved accuracy & flatter trajectory are noticeable.

The Savage 340 guns are an overlooked gem. I will always spring for one that is in good shape, and every one I have owned has shown to be phenomenally accurate beyond expectations and often beyond guns of much greater cost.

As for re-cutting the chamber to the Ackley improved version, I'd not go there (and not because I object to Ackley's concept: he was honest about where it worked and where it did not). With the new powders (Leverevolution comes to mind), and pointy bullets (125g Nosler Ballistic Tip), the .30-30 in the Model 340 can outright scream on its own.

Is yours drilled on the side for a scope? These mounts are frequently and easily found on the tables at gunshows which feature piles of old scope mounts. Weaver did the best version, but the older style "bent steel" version works rather well. The trick here is insuring the scope ends up centered over the bore: with the Weaver base, this may require some milling (easily accomplished with a proper diameter dowel wrapped in sandpaper) of the concave portion that mates to the receiver. On the "bent steel" models, the fix is somewhat easier: in a padded vise, carefully bend it where it needs to be (adjusting through trial and error).

Almost all models are drilled on the receiver for rear peeps of various manufacture, and in fact a specific sight was made ( Lyman) for the guns, and supplied from the factory if requested. A good peep can rival or exceed accuracy of a scope, as long as the target can be easily seen.

The secret of tuning for accuracy in these guns is partially involving the barrel band. Experiment with various levels of tension (a light-range torque wrench is nice) on this band. Fiberglass bedding (done properly) is also a very noticeable improvement.

My only complaint is that with these guns, when I am done turning a "cheap .30-30" into a precision shooting tool, some kid drops by with his Dad, and they are looking for a first deer gun. Off goes the 340 to a new home! One that went out of here a few years ago has accounted for six deer and two elk. All one-shot kills. I'm keeping the oldest, best one:

Savage Model 340A, Circa 1958. Walnut stock, Lyman Model 40 Peep Sight

And, just in case you believe the .30-30 can't "reach out and touch", here's a 340 and a couple Montana kids who might argue the point (actually, one remains silent on the subject). This was among the first ones I "accurized": in this case it was good at 175 yards from sitting position.

P9080617_zps6a13f9e9.jpg P9080615_zps1931576d.jpg img042.jpg

Last Edited:
Love the pic! But I still say re-chamber it ;) If I can get 2350 fps with 150gr SP in a 14" Contender barrel...That rifle would one down right flat shooting old timer! I want to re-chamber my 336 Marlin to a Ackley improved then run some 160 gr FTX's.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top