JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a pile of bullets. 500 give or take a few. They are marked 30-30 (.308) 160gr spitzer. Can these be loaded into a 30-06? I know my max COAL will be 3.115 based on bullet circumference and chamber. I am thinking 55.5 gr of Vihtavuori N-160. Let me know if I am out to lunch. My bullet is on the left, a test case in the middle and a standard GI 30-06 on right.
Thanks for your time and insight.
Nick

20130928_211017_zps19ff7b7f.jpg

Sounds and looks good but I didn't look up/verify your load data. However, since they are marked "30-30" they may well be more fragile but that may be acceptable for paper and or certain animals.
I forget what it is, but I think you want like a minimum of 1.5xcaliber diameter seating depth for proper neck tension/grip.
It's funny that they are boat-tailed and for a 30-30 and my understanding is that boat-tails only show evidence of worth beyond 300 yards and double the rate of throat erosion.
Anyway, good luck and start at the lower recommended charges.

I have no experience with VV powders. If they list a 160gr bullet for an '06 then follow what they say. (kind of an odd weight for the '06, by the way) IF not, go with what they show for 168gr. It looks like you're spot on for OAL. I'm not tickled about not using the cannelure, but it's fine if you have good neck tension.

What are you planning on using these for?

My thinking is FTX bullets will be wasted on a .30-06. What do you want them for, plinking or hinting?

But my guess is yes, you can. Quickload predicts 107% case fill (compressed load) with 55.5gr VVN160 and 3.115 COAL. It also predicts 2547fps on a 22" bbl.

I am assuming you will shoot them on a bolt rifle. If trying them on a Garand, the VVN160 might be too slow and COAL to short.

Happy shooting.

My plan is to make some paper really unhappy with them. The powder charge I sourced was for a 167 grain fmj. Closest weight with the mentioned powder. Using a Lee neck sizing die. They casings have pretty good hold on the bullet. I have yet to find a jacketed 160gr bullet load for 30-06. Components are hard to come by these days. This sort of makes me feel like a mad scientist. I am putting this through a Ruger M-77. I am wondering about the faster twist and faster muzzle velocity and if there will only be one hole in the target. I'm open to any suggestions for powder charge or to chuck the idea.

I'm no expert but I faced a similar situation with 100 bullets I bought that are .308 170 grains flat nose, they are designed for the 30-30 but I've loaded them in 30-06, my initial formula is 45 grains of IMR 4895 and I was able to get the same accuracy as with factory loads in my bolt action rifle. (These loads are for target practice only).

I also recommend starting with a tame load (lower end) and go from there; one thing to keep in mind is that 30-30 bullets in this weight are usually good up to 2500 fps from my reference books.

My pic is not great but as you can see in the left was my initial batch, seated the bullet like it would be in a 30-30, in the second set (sample in the right) I ignored the canelure and I think that is a better.

Be safe. 30-06 sample.jpg

30-06 sample.jpg

VVN160 would certainly not be my choice. It think it's burn rate is too slow. But I understand desperate times requires desperate measures. Since you are neck sizing your brass, then, I suspect your load won't be as compressed as I originally predicted.

I noticed that the COAL is rather short for 30-06. My guess is the FTX (with its steep ogive) is touching the lands and not allowing for more normal COALs.

I am ignoring the canelure, if I barely seat the bullet and then chamber it I will arrive at the same COAL. They are just so wide at the nose. Looking at load data from one caliber one book, lee, and hornady they seem to recommend 53.5-55.5 as a starting load.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top