JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depends on what you are hunting, type of terrain (brush or open area) and if you want bolt or semi. Is the $600 including optics or just the rifle if just the rifle that is more than enough for a very good item.

Hunting rifle under 600? I'd go with a Tikka every time. I shoot a Tikka T3 lite in .270 win. Ridiculously accurate. Half inch groups at 100 off a bench for me. And I'm not too great of a shot. It's also awesome for draggin around in the woods, super lite. Action is smooth as silk. Zero complaints. Detachable box mag is standard. Price range around 500 to 550 new. Amazing gun for the money, or just an amazing gun period.

Again, the purpose will define the gun, but in your shoes, I'd find an excellent used Remington 700, and I'd have enough left over for a quality scope. Stock choice (wood or synthetic) would again be dictated by how the rifle is to be used. Here's the reasoning:

1) Reputation for accuracy (yes, each of us owns guns that "will outshoot a 700 all day, and groups easily inside an inch all day, and half inch groups no problem", etc., etc.,). But the 700's reputation is solid. Custom gunbuilders' preferences indicate this as well.

2) Availabily of accessories, upgrade parts, etc. Example: check Midway's 700 section compared to sections devoted to other bolt guns.

3) Resale value (in the event you decide later that a different gun/caliber might be better). A good 700 bought wisely and cared for will always be worth very near what you paid for it. This cannot be said for many others.

Again, all this is my thought process (41 years with the .30-06) would I find myself in your shoes. I would not doubt we'll be seeing other opinions here as well.

My .30-06's?

Mannlicher Shoenauer 1956
Winchester Model 95
Springfield 1903.

A host of M700's, but not one in .30-06. (So, you have here a somewhat "fair and balanced" opinion, I think.)

P.S.: My compliments to you for choice of caliber, regardless of your purpose. The '06 is not MY favorite, but I will defend it as a "best choice" at every turn. (And defending it is very easy.)

The rifle will be used for deer and elk here in Wa. State. I reload so I will be working up a load for both animals. I recently bought a Nikon 4x12x42 so the 600 will be for gun only. I had a Savage 110 bolt before. Never fired a semi 30-06. Neighbor has a Browning BLR 30-06 he would sell me but not familar with accuracy or pro and cons of a lever action 30-06. Thanks for the replies so far.

for a accurate rifle had a couple rem 7400 and 742 in 3006 there both semi autos there not very good for long range shooting my friend had a bar in 7mm in cal and it was not that great ether get a bolt

I own a few Ruger M77 MKII rifles and a newer M77 Hawkeye, most of them in 30-06. If I was looking to buy another I'd probably look pretty closely at the Hawkeye. They do come with great scope rings standard and the new LC6 trigger is a definite improvement over the 77 MkII trigger. Also, the Rugers can be had with the Hogue stock which is one of my favorites.

I like to tinker with stuff and had just finished a rifle two weeks before my wife gave me a Kimber Montana. (yes, in 30-06) I bought an earlier stainless Ruger M77 MKII, blasted the finish to matte it, put it in a Hogue stock and then added a Timney trigger. It turned into a great gun. Too bad you are in Washington! I'd try to sell it to you!!!:s0155::p

I will quickly say, that despite the Rem700's solid reputation for accuracy, the Savage 110 rivals that (or exceeds it sometimes). You could do no wrong going with that choice again. In my listed reasons, Savage 110 accessories once again rival the 700's list. Resale value? I'd still have to give the nod to the Remington.

There is much talk (most of it based on little experience) that levers and semi-autos and pumps exhibit dismal accuracy when compared to bolt guns. My experience is that a quality auto, pump or lever gun, given a chance with handloads tailored for it, will run right with a majority of box-stock bolt guns for accuracy. I have a Marlin 336 .30-30 that is one of the most accurate guns I own. It frightens bolt gun owners (including myself). I have no trouble matching accuracy of my bolt guns with my Savage '99's. A new acquisition to the stable is a Winchester Model 88 in .243, and I am learning the extremes of levergun accuracy possibilties there.

My brother has been in Alaska now 30 years. His workhorse go everywhere-do everything gun is a Remington 760 pump in .308. It'll put a moose on his arse, or pick off a spruce hen's head with equal aplomb. A VERY accurate gun. A partner here in the lower 48 was invited on a Caribou trip up north with me, and he worried he'd need to save money for a new gun. I asked what he had, and he replied, (somewhat ashamed) "A Remington pump in .270". I told him he'd need his money for taxidermy, since that gun was guaranteed to do the job. Of course when my brother saw what he'd brought, the partner received accolades from the "sourdough", and both of them (not surprisingly) took fine Caribou with these good guns.

Certainly, where accuracy is the paramount goal, and the owner can modify, adjust, and fine tune his own gun, the probable best choice is a bolt gun. But if the goal is fast handling, scabbard carry, quick reloading, pointability and such, the hunter may be better served with a pump, lever, or auto, and need not sacrifice much (if anything) in the accuracy department.

Go to BI MART buy one of the Savage package deals throw the scope away. Go to Boyds and buy which ever laminated stock you like for under $125.00 and fit the two together slam that Nikon on the top and for under $600.00 you can have a 30-06 that has the ability to out shoot 90% of the people that own it.

SAVAGE is plain simple and accurate right out the box,.

Depends on what you are hunting, type of terrain (brush or open area) and if you want bolt or semi. Is the $600 including optics or just the rifle if just the rifle that is more than enough for a very good item.

People always do this when there is usually a quick easy answer:

Mark W.

Go to BI MART buy one of the Savage package deals throw the scope away. Go to Boyds and buy which ever laminated stock you like for under $125.00 and fit the two together slam that Nikon on the top and for under $600.00 you can have a 30-06 that has the ability to out shoot 90% of the people that own it.

SAVAGE is plain simple and accurate right out the box,.

like this.

Why all the questions? You will give the same answer anyway,your favorite gun.

All the guy wants is some opinions on some rifles under 6 bills.And there are lots of them. If he is looking for a rifle under $600 we can determine he isn't going to go long range target shooting (but the Savage would do well there)
The rest doesn't really matter because he is looking for a less expensive rifle.
Hence he has taken some options out of the equation.

I can never understand why people on here feel the need to ask all these questions when,again,they will still say the same few guns that they like best.

(steps off soap box)

Savage,some nice Remingtons,Weatherby Vanguard/Howa can all be found under $600

Good luck

for a accurate rifle had a couple rem 7400 and 742 in 3006 there both semi autos there not very good for long range shooting my friend had a bar in 7mm in cal and it was not that great ether get a bolt

The Rem auto loaders plus the 7600 / 760 pumps are great guns and always seem less expensive than the 700. Tons of them out there (just look at gunbroker). But they do not hold their value as well as 700.

Smart choice with 30-06. Most versatile caliber around. The old timer is not as sexy as the newer ones, but its hard to beat.

I believe I have narrowed my choice down to either a Browning x bolt or a savage 116. I here lots of good things about how accurate the savage is but the browning feels good with a nice trigger. Just don't know how accurate the browning is. Any browning x bolt shooters out there?

The Rem auto loaders plus the 7600 / 760 pumps are great guns and always seem less expensive than the 700. Tons of them out there (just look at gunbroker). But they do not hold their value as well as 700.

Smart choice with 30-06. Most versatile caliber around. The old timer is not as sexy as the newer ones, but its hard to beat.

Probably because they don't always feed properly? Just what I have heard from gunshow folks.

Most factory rifles shoot way better than you or me

I was shooting two rifles today where this was very apparent. A Stag Arms upper guaranteed for 1/2MOA.And when I was steady enough it did it.So maybe 5 shots out of 40?
And a winchester M70.When I was steady,I hit precisely where I wanted.But alas,I was not too steady.(me and the rest)
But basically it was my fault .

Unless you are a proven competitor,I doubt you will see an accuracy problem with most factory rifles.
Heck,I put 5 of 7 rounds from a British Enfield 303 (first time i shot the 80+yo gun) in a milk jug at 200 paces.
Novice shooter with a perfect rest and a old gun.
A new one should be OK

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads