JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have always been for NO reloads at range policy, to much to go wrong with by standers if you don't know what you are doing.
Not sure why many still allow it, I have used reloads only for public land plinking. Maybe I am paranoid, but find it hard to trust the
work of people I don't know.

Pretty much all I use is handloads. I don't go over published max book loads. And I keep an eye on velocities and other pressure signs. One thing you'll notice if you belong to a range/club. Generally the members will keep an eye on each other. You know who can be trusted. The ones that can't, generally don't last long. Just what I've seen from being a member at many clubs. I also think it's funny someone would hole heatedly trust factory ammo. I've had more problems (squibs and instances where factory ammo locked up a rifle bolt) with factory ammo than I've had with my handloads. JFYI.. Just sayin.. Like someone else said, if you outlaw handloads at clubs and ranges then there would be a whole heck of a lot of guys that know a whole lot about shooting that would be pretty ticked off... Next you'd want is to ban a rifle because it's too old or something? Man, I'd be screwed.. :eek:

Thats all I shoot at the range. I don't see how anyone could tell what you were shooting anyway.:confused:

Maybe if they looked like this?
OLjjHUD.jpg

....and they shot like this?
fhD9i2a.jpg
From yesterday. During load work up at my clubs range...

These were the crappy loads. Next time out, will be better ;)

I have always been for NO reloads at range policy, to much to go wrong with by standers if you don't know what you are doing.
Not sure why many still allow it, I have used reloads only for public land plinking. Maybe I am paranoid, but find it hard to trust the
work of people I don't know.

In my opinion, probably going too far. As has been previously said, at the ranges where I'm a member, I would guess that the majority of the shooters who do centerfire are hand loaders. Public shooters, those typically shoot factory ammo. To ban all hand loads wouldn't be a practical policy. At least in my experience.

In the matter at hand, there is a distinction. The OP as RSO had foreknowledge of a potentially unsafe load. Therefore it was his duty to remove the hazard from the range. All those other shooters who may have been shooting hand loads, the RSO had no knowledge of therefore responsibility for them couldn't be attached to him. To not exercise control over the one he had knowledge of put him in a potential position of liability. Don't know about you, I'm too old now to lose my house and buy a second one.

I know this all sounds like legal BS but now it's the world we live in. Police officers get in trouble for enforcing the law; RSO's get into trouble by not enforcing safety rules. In both cases, they have to be constantly thinking about potential liability. "Should I pull this car over or am I risking the loss of my job and pension?" Heck of a way to have to do the job but there it is.

I received the NRA training to work as an RSO. I did so at one of the ranges where I'm a member. Then we had an allegation of an off-range impact. It was claimed that a kid working a cow pasture behind the range was nicked in the hand by a bullet. He was stringing barbed wire that day; no evidence of a bullet was ever located; no surprise there being that it was a pasture. This range is what might be called a "blue sky" facility, in other words, no baffle system. The shooting that day wasn't by members or public shooters; a local police department was using the range for annual familiarization. And this is the only reason I believe we didn't get sued. The mother of the boy who claimed injury was known to have successfully sued a municipality in the area; she was no rookie to finding deep pockets. However, I believe when she found out the shooting that day (if it really did result in an off-range impact) was being done by a police department, she figured they would fight a legal battle more strenuously than our little range could afford. It never went to court. But after that, I was very reluctant to serve as an RSO and to this day will not do so at this blue sky range. Too much potential liability. Without the baffle system in place, as RSO you are trusting that shooters won't fire over the berm when your back is turned. An RSO, any RSO, simply cannot be everywhere at once. Sure as God mad little green apples, some yay-hoo is gonna shoot over that berm. I tell this story only to point out the kind of responsibility that rests on the shoulders of RSO's on duty at ranges. Do not take it lightly.

Do you know what the COAL was? Do you know the length of his chamber? Do you know what his velocities were? You can add a lot more powder if you're loading long and pressures will be safe.

As a safety advisor, I think you have a duty to kick his fanny off the range. I would think your duties include keeping him and anybody else withing 50 feet safe. Even a splinter of his blown up rifle can inflict painful, if not worse, damage to another shooter or bystander. I apologize if I sound kinda militant, because I'm not intending that. But I do look for a range employee to have my back in ALL situations.

I've seen some crazy stuff when it comes to guns and handloading. I've loaded over book maximum on rare occasion, when I've worked up the load in a specific gun and understood the variables. I've also seen some crazy over loads that didn't destroy the gun, for whatever reason.

That said, the load data in the OP is really over the top. I just can't see that being a remotely safe load under any circumstances. I'd certainly keep my distance from that guy, at the least.

As to ranges not allowing reloads, I would not go to a range that didn't allow reloads. I couldn't afford to shoot if I didn't reload. Some people see it as some kind of dark art to be viewed with suspicion, but done carefully it's no more dangerous than anything else.

That quote was from the heart...I hated to that rifle wrecked.
Let my mistake be your learning....without my cost.
( I do know that you are "tongue in cheek" here...:D )
Andy
Too soon then?:confused:
The fact that many of us remember it, and still think about it might make its sacrifice a good lesson, albeit a tragic one. If it were something common, and not an American icon, maybe it wouldn't have been so memorable.
But the fact that it happened to one of the nicest guy on the forum sucks!
Wish I had the means to help replace it.

Too soon then?:confused:
The fact that many of us remember it, and still think about it might make its sacrifice a good lesson, albeit a tragic one. If it were something common, and not an American icon, maybe it wouldn't have been so memorable.
But the fact that it happened to one of the nicest guy on the forum sucks!
Wish I had the means to help replace it.

Naw...Not too soon...
Just as you said why did it have to happen with that rifle...?

At the end of the day however , no one was seriously hurt and a lesson was there to be learned.
So it could have be much worse.

I really did see the humor in your post , after all its either laugh and learn or cry and whine 'bout it....laugh and learn suits me better....
As for one of the nicest guy's on the forum .....thank you
And it , at least its role in the my shooting line up has been replaced , thru the generous help of a fellow forum member.....:D
Andy

As a safety advisor, I think you have a duty to kick his fanny off the range. I would think your duties include keeping him and anybody else withing 50 feet safe. Even a splinter of his blown up rifle can inflict painful, if not worse, damage to another shooter or bystander. I apologize if I sound kinda militant, because I'm not intending that. But I do look for a range employee to have my back in ALL situations.
Our club's safety advisers are all volunteers, not employees. We also are not range officers and don't have authority to kick club members off our range. Any serious incidents are reported and if necessary, the club board of directors contacts the member and determines any necessary action. Safety advisers are more of observers and "on the job training" for new members. (or forgetful old members). Since the member claimed to have "used the load for years", I suggested, for his own safety and peace of mind (his and mine :eek:) that he review his load in published manuals and decide if he wanted to continue using it. As others have said, it is possible that his rifle has a very long throat, has the bullet seated way out, and can safely handle it. Or that he simply wrote Varget on the label of his box, when his dad actually loaded them with IMR-4350. Either way, I advised him of my concerns, based on the observable data. If he blows up his rifle, I hope he doesn't get hurt.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top